strictly esox

Buying new airbrush opinions wanted

I have been using a Binks bottom feed since I started spraying, the better I get with it the more I hate it :mad:. I am sick of fighting with this brush when trying to do any kind of detail. After searching everything I could find on this sight I have it narrowed down to 2 brushes and would like some opinions.

I am thinking either an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS or a Revolution CR.

Is the Eclipse worth the extra $45.00? I see you can get a .35 or .5 mm tip on the Eclipse, is there any other difference between the 2 brushes?

I use some Ctex paint but mostly spray Apple Barrel and sometimes even cheaper stuff from Michaels thinned with Windex, can I still get away with these paints with an Iwata gravity feed gun? Especially if I go with the Eclipse with a .35mm tip.

Thanks in advance for your help, John

I used "hobby acrylics" like Apple Barrel with a Badger Crescendo but switched to an Iwata HP-B with a .2mm tip and then it was airbush paint only. I don't know if an Eclipse .35mm tip will shoot hobby paint but I suspect you're in for a lot more clogged tips. It isn't a matter of gravity vs syphon feed, it's about tip size vs paint particle size. Hobby paint particles have no requirement to be any particular size. Some hobby paints with finer grains may do OK, others won't. JMHO, you need to bite the bullet and move to airbrush paint if you want smoother, finer lines and shading. After looking at the Eclipse and the Revolution, I chose a Revolution BR with a .3mm tip because I couldn't see why the Eclipse was much more expensive. If there's a reason, Iwata doesn't make it clear cut in their product description. I think you'll like the quality on your new Iwata, whichever model you select.

I used hobby paints because of their low cost and wider palette of colors vs airbrush paints. I'll mix a few airbrush colors to get a shade but am not a fan of intricate color formulas. I really prefer to just "squirt it in and shoot it" :) I've switched 95% to airbrush paint but there are still a few hobby colors that I'll break out the Badger 170 to shoot.

I received an Iwata Revolution BR today and have been shooting (airbrush only) paint with it. Nice brush, the overall quality is every bit as good as my Iwata HP-B+. The only feature missing is the trigger stop control, which I never used anyway. Otherwise, the needle, nozzle, etc are identical in design to the HP but the tip is .3 mm instead of .2mm. That means shooting significantly more paint volume than the HP but it is quite controllable. IMO, it's a good deal for the modest $69 price. Mark, when I shoot Apple Barrel after using airbrush paint for awhile, the dried paint surface looks much rougher. Maybe I'm getting to be an airbrush snob, but I like the smooth look you get with airbrush paint and it seems easier to get smooth color transitions with it too. The only thing I don't like is the higher price!

Bob,

I agree there is a definate difference in texture between Createx/Wildlife paints, and Apple Barrel. But I like the $, and I can only find moss green and some other colors in Apple Barrel.

I know you mix as you spray, but I'm not that good yet. Although, I can figure out how to make colors now by mixing different colors. Yes, he can be taught!

I bought a Master brush with the air valve, and, so far, although the fit and finish aren't up to Iwata, the function is great. And it's much cheaper. And, thanks to your windex tip, I can spray bunker oil now with that 2.5 tip. :worship:

Rookie, we know you! You probably squirt the paint in your mouth before you insert the straw:) I flick it on with an old toothbrush. You can also do "stippling" with an Iwata by removing the tip and venturi and using just the nozzle and needle to shoot paint.

Here is the one that Rookie uses....

0$ Airbrush Video

LOL

Rod

Rod, that's a really clever idea!

Pete,

After I read your original post about that brush, I bought one, a Master from Airbrush City. Not $39, but a lot less than the same brush from Iwata.

Good investment. Makes detail painting sooooo much easier.

What is the purpose of the notches in the tip? Are they necessary, or can I substitute another tip for that one. The notches make cleanup a little harder.

Mark - To be honest, I don't know, BUT suspect it has something to do with paint pooling in the tip, other brushes I have appear to get a slight vacuum just inside the tip and blobs of paint can settle and dry here, so maybe these 'flutes'!! relieve that vacuum. Saying this, these still get some paint in there, but not as much as some. I think I tried an Iwata tip on it (same threads) or you can spray without it if you want- this is supposed to give even finer lines etc- BUT it also exposes the needle tip to being easily damaged. The thing that suprised me is, you can buy parts for them, which is a plus.

I keep calling it the 'Tip', but really it probably should be called a cowl, cap or hood- sorry if I have confused anyone. pete