BassnG3

Swimbait Plastic

Just curious to hear what plastic everyone is using to make their swimbaits. I have one of Bobs 2 piece molds and I used Ozark to make some baits and they were too soft. Was looking at trying either Lurecraft regular or MF regular. Just looking for suggestions.

Scott

I'm using MF supersoft mixed with a little hardner. The baits come out really soft, and that gives the tail on the swims a lot of...well...swim.

I fish saltwater, and the toothy fish (halibut, calico bass) tend to tear 'em up pretty well, but thats why I pour my own.

I'd rather have a really soft swim with lots of action and replace them every couple of fish.

If you have any harder plastic around, you can mix the two, I used to mix 3/4 soft and 1/4 regular.

Willy

For me, I use MF regular and add a little softner to it. I have found that it really depends on the size of bait your making. For the smaller stuff, regular with no softner works fine. But, for the bigger stuff, I found that just plain 'ol regular was way too firm. One thing that has to be considered (mainly with the bigger stuff like a California Swimbabes Hot Momma) is hook-up percentage. If you have a bait that will fold up easily in the fishes mouth, your chances go way up. This is even more important on baits with a single worm hook type riggin' like a Mission Fish and Basstrix type baits. I make a bait like the mission fish that is 7" long and poured some with regular without softner, and I couldn't get a hook set to save my life. Soffened them up a bit on the next pours and all my troubles went away. Basicly, the bigger, and more importantly thicker the bait is, the softer it needs to be.

TJ