venting for new paints
7 replies to this topic
Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:42 PM
Hello again everyone I was wandering if anyone could give me any info on the cheapest way to vent my basement in order to switch from waterbase paints to the acrylics. I was looking at a little paint booth but it is $300 and thought that surely one of you guys could point me in the right direction on doing it cheaper.Thanks alot!
Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:05 PM
Jimmie, What ever you do make sure if you are shooting laquer based paint to use an explosion proof motor also make sure you have enough CFM's to evactuate the fumes. Good Luck!
Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:31 PM
The small booths are a little expensive, but if they come with explosion proof motors they're worth it. You may be able to build your own, but these motors are expensive and a necessity if working with flamable paints. Don't cut any corners with this, there are too many things that can go wrong. For example: Not enough CFM's= poisonous, flamable fume build-up which can be deadly and explosive. Non explosion proof motor= one spark could turn your basement into an inferno. I suggest spending the extra money and being safe, and be sure to get a quality respirator that fits and is rated for the paint fumes.
acrylic paints are waterbased so my post only applies if you're switching to combustable paints such as lacquer or enamels.
Edited by CreekMonster, 01 June 2008 - 05:33 PM.
Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:39 PM
Check this out. I used this video to make my own. Works great. Building a Spray Paint Booth for painting fish carvings. I hope this link works.
Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:10 PM
if you use combustible paints, solvents use a dedicated building, not a basement. this sounds negative, but pilot lites, sparks, very scary. please be vary carefull
Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:28 AM
Thanks for the info guys maybe I will just move my stuff to the garage! THe only problem I have with that is that it's cold as hell here in the winters and my garage is unheated!
Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:18 PM
I have an 8' x 8' building that I use. It gets pretty cold in there too. Just get a small heater and "preheat" the place before you start painting. Just be sure to cut the heater off before you paint. This may mean you have to box in an area in the garage to maximize heating efficiency. DO NOT OPERATE A SPACE HEATER WHILE YOU ARE PAINTING OR AFTER UNTIL THE ROOM IS CLEAR OF ALL FUMES AND OR VAPORS!!!! BE SAFE and GOOD LUCK!!!
Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:23 AM
And store your respirator in a Ziploc baggie when you're not using it. Otherwise, the activated charcoal filter will keep absorbing stuff from the surrounding air and lose it's effectiveness, but you won't know it until you get a really good dose of solvent fumes.