jimmie7915

venting for new paints

Hello again everyone I was wandering if anyone could give me any info on the cheapest way to vent my basement in order to switch from waterbase paints to the acrylics. I was looking at a little paint booth but it is $300 and thought that surely one of you guys could point me in the right direction on doing it cheaper.Thanks alot!

Jimmie

bait-ink.com

The small booths are a little expensive, but if they come with explosion proof motors they're worth it. You may be able to build your own, but these motors are expensive and a necessity if working with flamable paints. Don't cut any corners with this, there are too many things that can go wrong. For example: Not enough CFM's= poisonous, flamable fume build-up which can be deadly and explosive. Non explosion proof motor= one spark could turn your basement into an inferno. I suggest spending the extra money and being safe, and be sure to get a quality respirator that fits and is rated for the paint fumes.

acrylic paints are waterbased so my post only applies if you're switching to combustable paints such as lacquer or enamels.

Jay

Edited by CreekMonster
type of paint

I have an 8' x 8' building that I use. It gets pretty cold in there too. Just get a small heater and "preheat" the place before you start painting. Just be sure to cut the heater off before you paint. This may mean you have to box in an area in the garage to maximize heating efficiency. DO NOT OPERATE A SPACE HEATER WHILE YOU ARE PAINTING OR AFTER UNTIL THE ROOM IS CLEAR OF ALL FUMES AND OR VAPORS!!!! BE SAFE and GOOD LUCK!!!

Jay