buckhunter92

How to cut out lures

Hey i nned yalls help im 15 and love making lures ive been making for about 5 months and nned some help on cutting out lures i use a block off wood and draw out the lure on a peice off wood and cut it out wit ha jiggsaw can yll give me some tips on how to cut it better with a jig saw oe somethig thanks for all yalls hellp ill but some pick of lures ive made thanks for all yalls help

I use a scroll saw, which offers more control than a hand held jigsaw. A band saw is even faster and just as accurate. I keep a library of body and lip templates and trace around the selected shape, then cut it out with a standard 1/4" scroll saw blade. It's important to plan out how you're going to shape the body just after you cut out the blank, when everything is still "square". My templates have the lip slot cutout so the first thing I do is cut that, also so it will be square to the blank. After that, I scribe a center line around the bait so I know where to mount all the hardware, then I measure and draw lines for tapering the head and tail, which I do with a disc sander. Lastly, I scribe lines on the top, bottom and sides to indicate the limits I want to stick to when I round over the edges. All this measuring, scribing and line drawing is a pain BUT you need to have a system to control how much and where you're going to remove wood from the blank in order to end up with a symetrical crankbait. I use only a few power tools: a scroll saw, a disc sander, and a Dremel tool. Others have more equipment that allows them to make a finished body in much less time than it takes me. But taking the time is just part of the process if you're building them as a hobby. I cut lips out with tin snips, then use a Dremel sanding drum to shape them down to the exact template line - easier, faster and more exact than trying to cut them on my scroll saw. You can do a decent job with less exacting tools but always remember to plan and mark out everything on the lure blank so you'll end up with a straight crankbait that will run right.

I got a reconditioned scroll saw on Ebay for about $100 including shipping. A small band saw would be similar and it will cut hardwood faster. As far as patterns go, I suggest tracing the outline of a commercial bait you like and using that as a start. Flat sided cranks are easier because they require less shaping. As you gain more experience you can modify the template or try some original patterns. You can also buy ready-to-finish blanks from Jann's Netcraft, Stamina, and other online sources if you'd prefer. But if you don't want to be limited by the blanks sold online, you might as well get started shaping wood. It takes doing it to develop the skills and routines you'll need to get crankbaits like you want. I still enjoy building them, a number of years and a few hundred crankbaits later, and I'm still learning. Good luck and have fun with it.

Find a lure shape that you like, print it out on your printer, then cut it out. Trace this shape on some wood of the appropriate thickness. I like to use poplar, you can buy in various thicknesses from Home Depot. Very carefully cut the shape out, a band saw or scroll is the best tool for doing this. If you are building a crank bait, cut the slot out for the bill now while the wood is still square. Cut it so the lexan bill has a nice fit....you can buy lexan bills and screw eyes from Stamina Inc.

Now round over the edges, you can do this with sand paper but I used to do alot of it with a flat file, it goes fast and I enjoy it. Take your time, get the lure even on all sides, look at the lure blank from the front, back, belly, and top, get everything even. Decide where the screw eyes will go and put them in place. Seal the wood with sanding sealer or polycrylic, let dry overnight, then dip in a white primer paint, I like some cheap stuff from Wal-Mart, it is 8 dollars a gallon, let dry overnight. Now paint the lure, you can use rattle cans or if you have an airbrush that would be even better, let dry overnight.

Clear coat using either Devcon 2-ton or Envirotex. Glue the lexan bill in using Devcon 5-minute epoxy.

Be patient, it takes time but you will quickly get better.

Good luck.

Jed V.

As the others have said, get a good template either from a picture on-line printed out or use a bought lure you may have. Make sure your wood is secure and dont force the speed of the cut. Do not try to make the final lure out of the first cuts. Get the general shape but using the jigsaw. Then use various grades of sandpaper to get your piece of wood to your final lure shape.

I'm just starting out too and dont have access to many power tools,just a craftsman and a jigsaw. But I am slowly getting the hang of how to use them to thier best.

Just keep trying.

Often the best lure is the easiest to make.:)

Edited by scottishghillie