rico.29

respirator mask...

Rico,

Do a search on "respirator", the subject has been discussed at length in the past. The key factors are protection against the materials your using, proper fit, and if you have a bread, you may want to go to a hood style design.

Make sure you don't confuse respirator for particle mask. 3M is one of several companies that meet national safety standards.

i'm affraid there is no such a place around my home, that's why i will certainly buy a good protector on internet but i don't have any idea of good model, that is stopping dangerous vapor of soft plastic.

so why not make a special thread "post-it", listing good respirator mask?

As a rule, I don't like to recommend specific safety equipment; to many variables that get missed. For just pouring plastic and protecting against fumes, with no consideration for additional safety, a half respirator like the AO Safety Model: 95090 should work.

AO Safety Quicklatch Pro Dial Cartridge Respirator

Model: 95090 Item #: 186091 (Lowes)

• NIOSH approved
  • High efficiency P100 filter cartridges
  • Recommended for protection against: paint and pesticide sprays and vapors, chloring and muriatic acid, lead, asbestos, mold, fiberglass, solvents, thinners, lacquers and enamels

If you're looking for additional protection from the possibility of exploding plastic (rare, but not impossible), a full face respirator provides more protection and potentially, could save your eye sight. A 3M 6000 Series offers that kind of protection.

3M 6000 Series Full Facepiece Respirator

152-7417 (Northern Safety Co.)

Choose these full face half mask reusable respirators to protect worker faces effectively

would "3M 52916" mask be a good protection for pouring as it is said that it can filtre "certain" organic vapor.

what is the difference with 52913 or 6300 or 5200 also 3M mask respirator.

which is the best protection for pouring?:huh:

edit: i've seen that cartridge are fixed on 5000 series, cartridge are removable on 6000 series...

but wich cartridge to take 60921, 60923, 60925 or 60928

all three can filter organic vapor:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7_nid=GSQVS95F85beBBNPNXVMNWgl

Edited by rico.29

I wear a 3M 6000 series full face for spraying polyurethane foam everyday.Stick with the 3M 6000

series the filters are replaceable,5000 series is a disposable.New catridges and replacement parts are available for the 6000 series.I dont see needing a full face for pouring plastics a half mask should do just fine.Use a 6001 organic vapor catridge just make sure you use a prefilter on it that will filter

the particulate and helps the cartridges to last longer.More importantly is fit.Your mask should be just snug on your face not tight.If it makes your jaw hurt or gives you a headache it is to tight or you have the wrong size most people wear a medium and then it goes to a small.How test the fit is easy.

Hold the respirator to your face with one hand

with the other hand start snugging down the straps

I usually start with the top first.Once you have it snug take the palm of any hand and cover the exhale port.Exhale easily and the mask should lift off your face and you should not feel any air leaks.

Hope this helps.

All good recommendations here and any will work just fine. I recommend a full face if you don't get claustrophobic with stuff like that on. It will make your eyes feel a lot better the next day after a long pouring session. Toxic fumes/vapors are not only inhaled they can also enter mucous membranes. I'm not trying to get scientific but safety is my job and I figure the extra info. could only help.:twocents:

I haven't used a respirator in years, since I stopped spraying lacquers and polyurethane. My old mask had activated charcoal filters. So I'm not up to date on today's masks, and can't make any specific recommendations about cartridges.

Someone already recommended the 6001 cartridge in an earlier post on this thread.

Whichever one you choose, be sure to store the mask in a good plastic bag when you're not using it, or the cartridges will continue to filter the air around them, and wear out more quickly.

thank you for your answer.

i've watched at 3M website, and i'm quiet perplexe, here is what a find:

cartridge 60921: NIOSH approved against certain organic vapors and particulates.

cartridge 60923:NIOSH approved against certain organic vapors, acid gases and particulates

cartridge 60925: NIOSH approved against formaldehyde, certain organic vapors and particulates.

cartridge 60928: NIOSH approved for certain organic vapors, acid gases and particulates. 3M recommended for use against radioiodine or methyl bromide.

all these cartridge is approved for certain organic vapor, but which one is approved for our organic vapor, as i guess these cartrdige doesn't filtre the same organic vapor.

I use a AOSafety R5700 with the 8051 chemical cartridges that are made to filter organic vapors. I can tell it has helped alot.

I'm trying to find replacement 8051 cartridges and filters but without success. I know that 3M Tekk bought them but can't find any source for the equivalent products in the 3M Tekk catalog. Do you know of a source for replacements or the product code for a 3M Tekk equivalent replacement. Thanks.

Hey guys.....new to the site. I am a Safety Supervisor for a large Maintenance Org. I would suggest looking into the MSDS. My groups are wearing the 3M 7500 series. 85% of people wear the 7502 (medium). We have went this style because of the modular construction for cleaning and better seal with new material. I Fit Test our employees and the most important concern is a tight comfortable seal. The P-100 filter is the most common filter but we work out of 83 different factories currently and conditions on MSDS dictates the filter based on work task.......Always be safe and research the MSDS for recommendations. Go with Half-Mask vs. the paper 85N or 95P.

• Like 1