gaspumper

Fluid Beds

Thank you everyone for making this site so helpful.I just made the fluid bed ,works beautiful.My next door neighbor is a plumber I got most of the ABS from him and bought the end caps.I used the brown paper bag as suggested for the filter,and a 30-60 gal aquarium pump. 2"ABS 3" long, the powder just rolls in the tube.Wish I would have found this site a long time ago.I just got done filling an order for 5000 jig heads,dipping 3-4 then stirring dipping and stirring,the bed sure would have helped for that order.Again thanks to everyone.

I just built a fluid bed based on various things I have read here. I haven't seen any of the tutorials that people have been PM'ing around.

I have used 2" PVC and I have a smaller air pump for it. The problem I am having is the air seems to be coming up through the powder in small tunnels creating craters on the top and making the powder come out of the cup. It's not an explosive type cloud coming out, but more of a mist.

I do have a valve inline with the air pump and it doesn't help when I lower the air flow, it just makes the powder all settle down. If anyone has any ideas on how I can get a better, more even air flow through the cup to fluidize the powder I would appreciate it. I am using a brown paper bag for the cup bottom.

Thanks,

Corey

Corey,

I think your air pump is big enough if you are getting what we call volcanoes. Your air valve should be able to control the flow better though. Sounds like it is either open or closed. Also you might try another paper bag as it sounds like the air is getting through a few larger openings thus causing the volcanoe effect. Make sure the cup is seated in the bed and not losing air around it and robbing it from the cup to fluidize your powder.

Keep us posted please.

I plugged it in last night to show a friend and interestingly enough, the whole cup of powder started to rise without volcano's. I had to shut it down as I thought I was going to have a mess.

Is there a recommended amount of powder to have in the cup? My cup is 2" S40 PVC and 3.5" tall. I pretty much dumped a 2oz container of powder in and it filled the cup about half way. Tomorrow I am going to scoop out half the powder and then fire it up again to see what happens.

If you see a picture of someone with a red powder face resembling hellboy, I have obviously had an incident.

Thanks guys,

cd.

Corey,

Again, it sounds like the air valve needs adjusting.

When the powder is properly fluidized, you should be just able to see movement of the powder across the top of it with no volcanoes. When the air is introduced into the cup the level of powder should begin to rise the level it attains is dependent on the amount of air being pumped in. I always adjust mine by bringing it to a boil (volcanoes) and backing off on the air till there is a smooth flow across the top of the powder without having the level of the powder lower any. Depending on what you are painting will determine the level of paint you maintain in the cup. You never want to touch the bottom of the cup with your bait when you dip in. As you use up powder during your painting session, you will have to probably adjust the air flow to compensate for the loss of powder, or add more powder to maintain your original level.

Now that I have really fried your mind, go turn that thing on again and play with the air flow and see how easy it is. Begin with the valve closed and gradually open it. Give the powder time to absorb some air before you open it more. Some colors take longer to fluidize than others.

Good luck.

One other footnote - make sure that you powder is fluffy before you start. If the power is clumped when you start, it may not go fluid as intended.

Are just planning on painting jigheads? Most designs I have seen for sale are either 3 inch or 4 inch diameter so you can paint larger items like spoons and blades. Sounds like you just need to tinker a bit more to get the hang of what your doing. Good luck.

Edited by Spike-A-Pike

great info I have a quick question I would like to know if there are any beds made that are length wise some thing that I could use say like on allthread to hang jigs to dip? I have not seen a fluid bed so I am not sure of how many holes are in the ones your talking about just 1 or many to disperse the air evenly? I have been thinking about going to powder but not sure of few things like two colors? and needing to do larger amounts of jigs instead of one at a time

thanks awsome site wish I had more time to spend on it THE BEST:worship:

Corey,

Again, it sounds like the air valve needs adjusting.

When the powder is properly fluidized, you should be just able to see movement of the powder across the top of it with no volcanoes. When the air is introduced into the cup the level of powder should begin to rise the level it attains is dependent on the amount of air being pumped in. I always adjust mine by bringing it to a boil (volcanoes) and backing off on the air till there is a smooth flow across the top of the powder without having the level of the powder lower any. Depending on what you are painting will determine the level of paint you maintain in the cup. You never want to touch the bottom of the cup with your bait when you dip in. As you use up powder during your painting session, you will have to probably adjust the air flow to compensate for the loss of powder, or add more powder to maintain your original level.

Now that I have really fried your mind, go turn that thing on again and play with the air flow and see how easy it is. Begin with the valve closed and gradually open it. Give the powder time to absorb some air before you open it more. Some colors take longer to fluidize than others.

Good luck.

I will tinker with it later today if time permits... got this thing called fishing to do shortly. I will just be painting jigs for the time being. This fluid bed was basically a test to see if I could actually get something working. I have been registered and lurking for a few years now and have pretty much read the answers to all my questions up to the point of tuning the air flow. I appreciate all the help everyone has given. I will post my results later.

Thanks,

Corey

The valve on it is it a good water valve that screw in to adjust or a ball valve. A ball valve is to hard to adjust the air flow. The other can be adjusted in small amounts. In my eyes at first there was not enough air (volcanos)then you had it way to high(boiling out of control). Make certain you have a good valve to control the air in to the cup. After your fead back I would say you have big enough pump:o.

The valve on it is it a good water valve that screw in to adjust or a ball valve. A ball valve is to hard to adjust the air flow. The other can be adjusted in small amounts. In my eyes at first there was not enough air (volcanos)then you had it way to high(boiling out of control). Make certain you have a good valve to control the air in to the cup. After your fead back I would say you have big enough pump:o.

So if I'am reading this right not enough air causes volcanos? I just made mine tonight added powder turned on slowly got it going then seen volcanos so I backed it off some and it looked like top was just rolling. Is that how it should look?

joe

So if I'am reading this right not enough air causes volcanos? I just made mine tonight added powder turned on slowly got it going then seen volcanos so I backed it off some and it looked like top was just rolling. Is that how it should look?

joe

Yes Joe, that is correct. It should look like slow boiling water on.