Short story long, the aluminum paint bonded perfectly to the Krylon primer, but the Createx paint didn't bond to the slick aluminum paint.
I found this out yesterday, when I introduce three of the baits to the rocks.
The good news, I hooked three swimbait fish, and landed two.
The bad news, the D2T peeled where I'd hit the rocks, and took the Createx with it!
Obviously, the bond between the aluminum paint and the water based paint wasn't strong.
I'm going to strip those three down to the aluminum paint, sand it up, re prime with Krylon, and then use pure Createx and D2T in my paint and finish scheme.
I know that there needs to be a mechanical bond (rough surface) between dissimilar paints, since they don't melt into each other. I just had a brain-fart/"brilliant idea" overwhelm my base knowledge.
I had planned to photo them and post them here when I got back yesterday, before the paint failures.
Now, I'll photo them showing the damage, and, hopefully, again after I've repainted them.
Too bad. I really like the paint jobs I'd done. I think they were my best so far.
Oh, well, I need the painting practice anyway.
Edited by mark poulson, 05 June 2008 - 12:32 PM.