Zbass

Crooked baits

Quick question for the experts. How do you avoid your baits retaining the shape of being crooked in the bag? I have tried both scent and/or rolled in salt and stil get some crooked baits. I know the store boughts do it also, but some more than others. Is it something that you just deal with or is there something I can do? Thanks in advance!

Zbass

JD and Bass-Boys hit the nail on the head. I might also add that some brands of plastics take a little longer to settle. Calhoun is a good example. You just about HAVE to let those worms sit for 24 hours before you treat them with salt or oil. Not so much the case with MF or LC.

Don't toss your crooked baits. Drop them in boiling water for about 10 seconds, pull them out of the water, and lay them on a paper towel in their original shape. Let them sit for a couple of days. They will be soft and a bit sticky at first, but they will then be ready to go.

Thanks alot for the responses. This place is great!!!!!! Sticks and fries and such are not the problem. They can be bagged straight. What I was really asking about is more along the lines of lizards, creatures and craws. I do let them sit to cool and try to get them in the bag as straight as possible, but there always seems to be an appendage that has a unwanted curl to it. Does worm oil make that big of a difference? I have used scent to lube them in the past but have not tried worm oil. All said and done, I am grateful for your responses.

Zbass

When fresh baits set in one static position they can assume that shape. As stated before you can put them in hot water to sraighten them out; but very few customers will take the time to do this.

The oil allows the baits to move within the bag so that they will not set in one position long enough to assume a shape.

I use a very little bit of oil combined with concentrated scent. This way the baits get "oiled" and scented at the same time.

www.novalures.com

its because the plastisol went through a chemical reaction with 300+ degree heat, the bait sits and 'cures' if you ever notice they retain heat for some time after pouring. this is what i do:

pour bait

let stand in mold 3-4 minutes

pull bait and slide through salt on one side so there is no friction

lie baits straight on aluminum industrial cooking pans/sheets

let baits sit and package opposite of when i poured(if i pour in morning package at night or at night package morning)

my saltwater line i just let sit for 24 hours like mentioned but dont use any salt. i have one bait i make that you cant even demold for almost over an hour depending on the room temp because of how large it is and the heat that stays insulated in it!

Like others have said, there is a long curring time after plastics are pulled from the mold. As soon as mine come out of the mold I lay them on a large cookie sheet in the EXACT position I want them to be. Then I let them sit over night to cure. Sometimes I've even put them in the freezer for a few hours to speed the process. You're asking for big trouble if you bag them right out of the mold, they will get all perminently kinky and bent.