outdooradvantage

Salt ?

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't use salt at all. Not even in my sticks. I like my baits to be as bouyant as possible and float up off the bottom. I also prefer the colors you can achieve without salt. Don't get me wrong here, I do throw sticks with salt. Those I buy or trade with other members. I don't like all the work involved in grinding, flouring and stirring every two sticks or so.

I guess I am with 152nd. I don't use salt in 99.99% of my baits. My sticks I also buy most of the time. The ones I do make with out salt will sink very very slowly with just an O-ring And a wacky hook also a bullet weight works well too when fishing with worm hooks. They also can be used as a top water bait that few fish have seen. I don't like to use salt because of the time and labor and you use a lot of softner. Plus the extra dyes to get the colors and I can't make the colors I see in my head when thinking a new one up.

Edited by King Bait Co.

152 how do you get your stick's to sinck? Jig?

In the fall and winter(if you can call it that) I've been throwing them on a Carolina Rig with real good results. Lately, I've either been using a shakey head. For the conventional style sometimes I'll use heavy owner hook, coupled with one of those Parasite clips which allow for a good sink rate. When I wacky rig, I'll use one of those gammy weedless with a 1/32 oz bullet or put a nail in the stick. I live in South Florida and fish the Everglades almost exclusively now that Lake Okeechobee is just about unfishable for lack of water. I'm normally fishing 0-5 feet of water. I stick my rod over the side to check the depth!

Jeff,

I use salt in eerything I pour. I actually use two different kinds for different things. Personally, I beleive it makes a difference. Would my catch rate increase without salt? I can't tell you as I fish with it all the time. Sounds like it might be an experiment that I will give my fishing buddies saltless baits and see if I can clean some house. :wink::wink::wink:

Zbass