mark poulson

A shout out....

Pete,

Last winters heavy snowfall and all the rain this spring has put the mid-west rivers into a flood state. This story is a few days old, but has some of the best coverage on the flooding. Midwest flooding could push prices of food higher - USATODAY.com

With the present economy and fuel prices, a bad harvest is likely to raise the cost of food here and overseas.

Just returned from Iowa yesterday. My home town is on the Mississippi north of the Quad Cities and it is a mess. West and northwest of there it is worse. States south are going to get hit also, so it is far from over. Spike is right about the food prices and the fuel prices are sure to go up because of all the corn fields flooding. (ethenal) The area will will need many thoughts and prayers as hundrerds if not thousands have lost everything.

Zbass

Yep, prayers for all of those affected.

Prayers go out to the families and Boy Scouts also impacted when a tornado struck the Little Sioux Boy Scout Camp in Iowa. My son and I have camped in that Scout Camp. I just can't imagine the impact to those families impacted by that tornado on what should have been a great trip.

Sorry to hear this, it seems that it has been raining in that area for months. Same here, but the opposite, have not had decent rain for 6 years and they are now long range forcasting another couple of years of drought.

It seems, that it is always the farmers who cop the brunt of flood or drought, and you have to admire their perseverence and strength in these bad times, I would just walk away, but of course it is not as easy as that, when it's in your blood. Like you guys are saying, the economic repercussions from this just goes on and on, which again hits the farmers. pete

The sand bagging has started in full force for the smaller towns north and south of St. Louis on the Mississippi. It seems different than it did in 1993, less panic and more of a workman-like attitude. I hope that the last 15 years was enough time to prepare.

Pete - The farmer's crops will take a major hit; early projections are for a 30% to 40% crop loss in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri. This part of the US is also known as the America's Bread-Basket because it's harvests feeds the world. The farmers will produce less and the crops will cost more. Somehow, OPEC will have to raise oil cost in order to buy food, and so the cycle goes...

I don't know how much the sandbagging can help once it goes beyond the levees I had some relatives whom lived in small town several miles from Missouri river during the flood of 93. At that distance from the river it washed out a graveyard and left a 85' hole in its place and deposited a combine at the bottom. Hope for the best and head for high ground.

No way , it is very bad and harsh for all the people affected by such floodings , to loose their homes , investments and goods , and sometimes even their loved ones or their own lives .

None of us , that we haven't had to go through such hardship ourselves , can ever imagine about the deep impact , that such events do have on the entire life and existance of those , that were not as lucky as we are .

In Europe we have had such floodings due to heavy rainfalls as well during the past years , and their numbers obviously increases from year to year . Just a few weeks ago some women in southern Germany lost their lives , one of them drowned in her own basement , the water came in too quick for her to get out !

If such happens in mountainous areas , the destruction work of the waters is even worse , also "avalanches" of water , mud and rocks go down on the housing , witch is most likely located in the valleys .

The number of thunderstorms also increases , and they are becoming stronger and more dangerous , also we are getting more and more tornados every year . Can't compare them to the devastating twisters in America , but it is something , that we are not too much used to in Germany .

Few years ago a construction worker got killed by a tornado in Hamburg , it came up so fast , that he didn't have a chance anymore to climb down his high crane and the storm kicked it down !

He must have seen the dark clouds coming up , but only expected some rain and thunder , and when that hose came down , it was too late for him .

Also I haven't been walking on iced up lakes anymore for more than twelve years now , I suppose !

In my belief all of these extreme weather events are "the revenge of Mother Earth" on us , her children , that have violated her(and still do) in the worst way , that we could .

I know , for our modern lifes cars , planes , heating , electricity and so many more , that I can't think off , are essential !

Simply the extremly high numbers of such climate affectors , provided by the increasing number of humans on this planet , has caused these weather phenomenons , and they're gonna get worse .

We have heard the scientist's warnings already decades ago , but we did not seem to listen , so now we are facing the facts !

But anyway , how we are to listen to the warnings ?

No cars , no planes , no heating and no electricity ?

None of us would like to ride horses and sit in candlelight at night , though nowadays we consider this to be romantic .

I think , it also has to do with economical reasons :

For example why should the motor ,-and aircraft industry invest vast amounts into research on environmental cleaner technologies to weaken their market shares against competitors , when there is still a drop of oil left to burn ?

Or maybe , all the designs are ready for production in their safes , but they don't do it , because they would be a lot more expensive than common vehicles ?

Or it is upon me and you ?

I don't have the money to afford an environmentally cleaner car , I get a common one for a fraction of its price !

The problem is , that no one is willing or is able to make a real start upon saving and recreating the foundation of our all existance , our "Blue Planet" .

As long , that we are unable to change our attitudes , nothing would get better with the climate , but worse .

We are still at the beginning and we should not complain , though this statement must be pure scorn for those directly affected .

But as far , as I am concerned , it seems , that we almost carry on as usual(the changes come too small and too slow) , always hoping the next hit would be on them , not us !

"Mother Earth" does not need us to survive , but we need her !

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: , Dieter