diemai

swimbait , very first attempt

@ mark poulson

Yeah , so true , women and girls know strange and subtle ways to get through and to follow their intentions:wink::yes: , men most likely can't get behind it , until they're hooked .

I know this from my wife and daughter as well:lol::lol: , just sweet-talking to me with a certain glance and smile......"my dear daddy... do you know.......?"

And soon my wallet is empty , and I won't even be angry:lol::lol: !

Alright , I have just connected my swimbait and rigged it onto a jig , that I made years ago to paint jointed baits .

The rectangular wood dowel has to be rather slim to maintain good access for brush painting and/or spraying .

To prevent it from falling on its side , one can fix spring-loaded clamps(carpenter's clamps work as well , but not as easy to handle) onto one or either end of the dowel

The lure is put under tension by a looped piece of cord(this one here is supposed for kite flying) , that is twisted and locked with a piece of wire onto the front eyescrew .

This way the blank sits reasonably rigid , enough for my painting purposes :yes:.

Now , that the lure is fixed this way , I could furnish the final painting , the blending of colors and the color transitions from section to section would surely turn out better , as if painting the sections one by one , as I did for the initial paint coats:wink: .

Greetz , Dieter

PS: utilized a piece of cardboard for the pics for better visibility , in case , one might wonder what this is for on my workbench :huh:?

FRAPAI_01.JPG

FRAPAI_02.JPG

FRAPAI_03.JPG

FRAPAI_01.JPG

FRAPAI_02.JPG

FRAPAI_03.JPG

FRAPAI_01.JPG

FRAPAI_02.JPG

FRAPAI_03.JPG

FRAPAI_01.JPG

FRAPAI_02.JPG

FRAPAI_03.JPG

FRAPAI_01.JPG

FRAPAI_02.JPG

FRAPAI_03.JPG

FRAPAI_01.JPG

FRAPAI_02.JPG

FRAPAI_03.JPG

FRAPAI_01.JPG

FRAPAI_02.JPG

FRAPAI_03.JPG

FRAPAI_01.JPG

FRAPAI_02.JPG

FRAPAI_03.JPG

3487_thumb.attach

3488_thumb.attach

3489_thumb.attach

Hi , folks

Well , my little "carp" by now is slowly evolving , in fact this kind of painting is very time consuming , but its great fun to me , would have loved to proceed , but lateshift's waiting again :(!

Greetz , Dieter

CAREVO_01.JPG

CAREVO_02.JPG

CAREVO_01.JPG

CAREVO_02.JPG

CAREVO_01.JPG

CAREVO_02.JPG

CAREVO_01.JPG

CAREVO_02.JPG

CAREVO_01.JPG

CAREVO_02.JPG

CAREVO_01.JPG

CAREVO_02.JPG

CAREVO_01.JPG

CAREVO_02.JPG

CAREVO_01.JPG

CAREVO_02.JPG

3490_thumb.attach

3491_thumb.attach

Thank you guys for your kind words:worship: , but I am also a little surprised myself , that it turned out quite well so far(especially the blending tones of the body) :yes:.

But I would never call myself an artist :nuhuh:, I am just someone that ever liked to create something with his own hands :yes:!

Too bad , I don't think , that I could proceed with painting tomorrow morning , my wife intends to go somewhere and wants me around , so no time for my workshop before work :(:cry:.

Maybe only one hour , but I won't spend it on this bait , can't afford to rush to continue with a neat job , since THIS time I gotta trick Murphy :P, I know , that he won't sleep !

Greetz , Dieter

Hi , folks

Still managed to get to my workshop for a little while before work , so I could not help it to paint some more details onto my lure:) !

Now I am in trouble about deciding on a pair of stick-on ,- or painted eyes for my little "carp" :?.

Painted ones would surely fit better to the paint style , but I am scared not to get them as round shaped as neccessary to look good:huh: .

I would still have to think over it , probably I should use stick-on eyes , but paint a blending peripher around them :huh:?

Greetz , Dieter

GIPLPA_01.JPG

GIPLPA_02.JPG

GIPLPA_01.JPG

GIPLPA_02.JPG

GIPLPA_01.JPG

GIPLPA_02.JPG

GIPLPA_01.JPG

GIPLPA_02.JPG

GIPLPA_01.JPG

GIPLPA_02.JPG

GIPLPA_01.JPG

GIPLPA_02.JPG

GIPLPA_01.JPG

GIPLPA_02.JPG

GIPLPA_01.JPG

GIPLPA_02.JPG

3495_thumb.attach

3496_thumb.attach

Edited by diemai
add of text

Diemai,

I think you made the best paint job among the ones that do not care about the paint job.:)

But there's something else I want to tell you.

I think you have chosen the most difficult to make joint system. It has the advantage of concealing the joints, but I think it has a big disadvantage: the constant friction between the wire (or screw eye) and the next section.

I think that this friction (which would surely ruin the clearcoat and paint, letting the water penetrate the wood) could be counteracted by adding washers, so that the screw eyes would lay on the washers, not on the clearcoat. This would surely add some weight to the lure, which is already weighted, but the only difference would be that the lure would sink a little faster. In case you agree, I recommend that you make the washers (not buy them, because these might be thicker than needed) out of SS metal sheet, with the thickness of, let's say, 0,5 mm.

@ rofish

It's true , the most elaborate one , that I ever made:yes: , but I guess , it is part of the intention of such swimbaits to be looking as realistic as possible , and since my my first rattle can job failed , I just had to proceed this way , since I don't intend to use an airbrush .

On ordinary crankbaits or topwater lures I might not do it , but I must admit , that I came to like this paint style , so maybe in future a little less lures made but painted thorougly...........:huh::whistle:!?!?

I made those hinges after mark poulsons describtions , since I do not have any experience with swimbaits , this is my first:yes: !

But I saw many lures rigged this way , have already also seen descriptions , but I don't remember any mentioning washers at your suggested locations .

Though your concerns are truly considerable , I'll risk it to go without washers at first , and if it is only to learn more about swimbaits .

If the finish should get spoiled by that certain abrasion , caused by the constant movements of the hinges , I could always disassemble the lure without any problem(Thanks to Mark :worship:)and re-coat .

In this case I would off course rig washers , but I really want to see first , wether such would really happen and in which extend ?

It would be too late now to put 0,5 mm washers anyway , would have had to consider about it when cutting the hinge slots , but , if neccessary , I could make such washers also only 0,1 mm or maybe even only 0,05 mm thick !

Provided , that I get sufficient brass or even SST foil at my work , some times I see such on the scrabyard , but so far I never bothered about it:huh: !

Greetz , Dieter

rofish,

I don't make lures to sell, so I don't have to make them bullet proof.

I haven't really notice a problem with the epoxy failing in the hinge joints too much. I coat the insides of the joints separately, and then coat the rest of the lure.

I have run into the hinge joints sticking when the lure lands funny on a cast, like the two epoxied faces bind.

I've found that, if I shoot a little fish attractant on the joints before I throw them, they free right up, and I don't have that problem. It doesn't hurt the epoxy, and adds a little scent to the lures. Like the guy said in the movie Evolution just before the proctologist went in to retrieve an alien insect that had gotten into his body,

"There's always time for lubricant!". :lol::lol::eek:

DONE !

Though Murphy did not quite leave me alone on the final run again:( , I am now done with my first swimbait attempt and I like it !

Haven't yet field-tested it , since I like to have the topcoats cured for a few days before exposal to water .

The hinge pins now sit very tight in their bores , had to push them in with quite a force under constant turning , but I did not have to drill the bores free from epoxy , not too much had entered whilst topcoating a few layers of epoxy and two-component clear gloss .

But still the little pieces of electricity cable insulation securig the pins are fixed with a drop of superglue .

After I had glued in the bristle fins with two-component glue , I have found some spots in their fitting grooves been uncovered with glue , so I decided to have some of my two-component clear paint flown into those gaps to seal off the entire bond properly:wink: .

So well , after I had applied a good share of that clear paint with a brush and laid the sections aside to dry , Murphy joined the game to have me find the wet paint "climbing" upward inbetween the bristles :(!

As I noticed this , instantly it came to my mind , that decades ago in school I had heard about a physical effect like this , but it was too late , the bristles got partly stuck to one another :(!

The dorsal fin got affected more , the tail fin only has some bristles at its bottom bonded half length , I am hoping , that it won't affect the swimming action too much , can't wait to test the lure coming week :yes:!

Finally I would like to thank all the guys involved here on TU for their support and assistance , my special gratitude goes to mark poulson:worship: !

This was definately not my one and only swimbait , a new idea is already on my mind(smaller bait with different hinges)..............:yay:!

Thanks all:worship: , greetz , Dieter

SWBACO_01.JPG

SWBACO_02.JPG

SWBACO_05.JPG

SWBACO_01.JPG

SWBACO_02.JPG

SWBACO_05.JPG

SWBACO_01.JPG

SWBACO_02.JPG

SWBACO_05.JPG

SWBACO_01.JPG

SWBACO_02.JPG

SWBACO_05.JPG

SWBACO_01.JPG

SWBACO_02.JPG

SWBACO_05.JPG

SWBACO_01.JPG

SWBACO_02.JPG

SWBACO_05.JPG

SWBACO_01.JPG

SWBACO_02.JPG

SWBACO_05.JPG

SWBACO_01.JPG

SWBACO_02.JPG

SWBACO_05.JPG

3536_thumb.attach

3537_thumb.attach

3538_thumb.attach

@ jamie , @ captsully18

Thanks a lot for your kind words and support , guys :worship:!

I am also hoping , that local pike would like my work , too !

But presently the fishing has been extraordinary slow:( , the best time is still going to come in fall(gonna have three weeks off then !) , and this is the time , I am usually switching lures in my tacklebox to the bigger , heavier and deeper running ones , so this little carp is gonna be amongst those as well for sure :yay:.

@ mark poulson

I have read about that 90

Hi , folks

It just urged me this morning to try out making those small wire coil hinges , that were on my mind for days now :yes:.

It went on pretty fine , finacky job though , but manageable .

My goal is to build a three section bait up to 4" in length to also have an appeal on smaller predators like perch , asp and zander(walleye) .

This brief sketch here(not the lure-sketch , just to explain my intention) still shows a little longer lure(4 1/2") , but I guess by shortening the wire arms of the hinges I could still gain space for a smaller lure .

So , my idea is , to make that lure out of reasonably sturdy light wood like abache or pine , the wire arms of the hinges will be epoxied into the bores , after the lure sections have been entirely finished and topcoated .

To accomplish this finacky task , I'd have to somehow bind the two hinge parts in a straight position temporary , and glue them first into one section , after curing into the other !

I am thinking about plastic tape or pressing toothpick points into the female hinge part to bind the bail inside .

For shaping and painting the lure sections in a connected condition I am planning on sticking them together with wooden or plastic tubing pins , that are inserted temporary into the hinge bores ;).

If the bores of two opposing sections should not come sit quite flush , it would surely be possible to heat up the plastic tubing pins with a lighter and then kink the temporary softened tubing a little offset , so that it would fit the two opposing bores , even when they are not quite flush:wink: .

I am aware , that probably the wire arms of the hinges might pull out with a big fish on , but I just want to try it out this way .

With some more subtle work effort I could also secure the hinges with some crosswise wire pins , that engage into the "U"-bends at the end of the hinge wire arms .

But I think , that they will hold with epoxy only !

What do you think about all this :???????

Greetz , Dieter

PS: To determine about hinge size , five squares of the background paper make up for 1" !

SMASWBA_01.JPG

SMASWBA_02.JPG

SMASWBA_01.JPG

SMASWBA_02.JPG

SMASWBA_01.JPG

SMASWBA_02.JPG

SMASWBA_01.JPG

SMASWBA_02.JPG

SMASWBA_01.JPG

SMASWBA_02.JPG

SMASWBA_01.JPG

SMASWBA_02.JPG

SMASWBA_01.JPG

SMASWBA_02.JPG

SMASWBA_01.JPG

SMASWBA_02.JPG

3547_thumb.attach

3548_thumb.attach

Diemai, those are some good looking hinges. As far as glueing them in, I sometimes use twisted wire hinges like the ones BobP makes. I also use the same technique he does to install them. I believe this method will work well for your hinges. I mix my epoxy and then use a small wire to work the epoxy into the holes until they are pretty well filled. I then insert the wires and position them the way I want them and let them set. This is done on one half at a time (insert hinge in one side one night, other side the next night). The way you have those hinges made with the legs bent double, Mark is correct (again) :worship: they will not pull out unless the wood fails.

You are very creative. Keep up the good work.

David

Diemai, those are some good looking hinges. As far as glueing them in, I sometimes use twisted wire hinges like the ones BobP makes. I also use the same technique he does to install them. I believe this method will work well for your hinges. I mix my epoxy and then use a small wire to work the epoxy into the holes until they are pretty well filled. I then insert the wires and position them the way I want them and let them set. This is done on one half at a time (insert hinge in one side one night, other side the next night). The way you have those hinges made with the legs bent double, Mark is correct (again) :worship: they will not pull out unless the wood fails.

You are very creative. Keep up the good work.

David

can you please post a step by step of this process you describe or post a link to a step by step or something? this method sounds very interesting, and i would like to try it.

Mark and David , thanks a lot for your encouragement :worship:!

(also got pain in my back:yes::lol:)

I have already made a first sketch of a new swimbait , that one is going to be 3 3/5" in length .

Have to make new hinges for it , since it requires shorter hinge wire arms , but now , that I gained some experience , it would only be a matter of minutes !

@ DSV

Do you refer to captsully18 or to myself with your query ?

To speak for myself , I don't mind posting about my progress in here again , but you might have noticed , that I am not on the speed course with my luremaking :nuhuh::huh::o!

How about some first pics on making the hinge coils ?

I could do that in the morning , now its already past midnight over here , have to go to sleep soon !

Sorry , can't supply any links on that subject , maybe some other folks can ?

greetz , Dieter