diemai

swimbait , very first attempt

Jamie's idea gave me an idea.

I've use front runners with top waters, little lures with line ties at fore and aft, and a small treble in the belly, tied six inches in front of a walking surface bait, to simulate a fleeing prey species.

I bet you could fashiong a weighted spoon to put just in front of your deep diving swim bait, to get it to stay deeper, and at the same time add some flash, like a fleeing prey species, to catch the attention of Mr. Pike.

diemai depending on the lure size you can take a bait right to the bottom just like the botttoma bottom bouncer. Give enough leader(flex leader) between the sinker and the lure you can make a kind of carolina rig out of it and drag it across the bottom just watch for the snags.

Thanks a lot about your thoughts guys , but I must admit , that I am kinda lazy about such rig-knoting , need to switch lures easy , so this weighted leader is obviously the first option to try:yes: .

If it should not work well for me , I'd look out further:yes: !

Since I wouldn't like always to cut and re-tie the mainline to rig sinkers or frontrunners , I am thinking about a leadweight , that can be fixed onto the mainline at any desired distance to the attached lure , but without having to cut off the line:? .

Some kind of wire hooks , eyes or corkscrews should do the job , just to wind in or wind around the mainline somehow to fix the weight firmly:? .

Still have to think over the exact configurations:? .

greetz and thanks , Dieter

Diemai you could take a egg sinker and peg it on the line and then you can move it up and down to give you different lengths if that is what your looking for. They also make a type of sinker, for the life of me I cant remeber the name of it, but its shaped like a egg sinker but it it goes on like a split shot. This weight has a rubber insert inside the weight. Someone please tell me the name of this weight, but any way you can take this weight on and off and it comes in all sizes.

Hi , Jamie and Mark ,

Thanks a lot for your concerns about my fishing problems .

I've just checked "Cabela's" site to get a clue about these rubber core sinkers:huh: .

Well , I have similar ones down in my basement somewhere , bought them many years ago in the greatest tackleshop around on the other side of Hamburg city , never thought to use these for this purpose(they're also not very heavy) .

But something yet isn't clear to me about these :

Mark , you and "Cabela's" talk about "twisting" them onto the line , Jamie , you talk about "pegging" them :huh:!

The ones , that I have , have a core of plastic rather more than rubber . This round kinda wedge is also a little grooved to accommodate a thicker line . So you insert the line into the slot in the lead and peg it with the round wegde , simply :yes:!

When talking about "twisting" , do you mean to wind the line in a kind of coil around the rubber insert and then slide the lead onto the line to poke it over the rubber core to lock it in place :??

Have only occasionally used these sinkers for pike-fishing deadbait under a float for fast balancing the weight of different sized baitfish .

Didn't like these sinkers with plastic insert too much , since I am certain , that they might nick a mono line , when pegged .

But braided line , which I exclusively utilize for lurefishing , is softer , not as static as mono line , so I guess , that it won't nick so fast when pegging .

But if it should be so to wind the line around the rubber core , no nicks would occur anyway .

I am sure , that I could find weights like these over here as well , only I probably might have to look around a bit , but local tackle suppliers carry more and more stuff from America(or for American origin methods) , since your methods are gaining more and more popularity over here , the last recent ones were jerkbait ,- and now dropshot fishing .

Greetz , Dieter

Dieter,

Rubber core sinkers are elongated egg sinkers, with a large hole down the middle, and a smaller slot all along one side, from top to bottom.

The idea of rubber core sinkers is that the line is laid into the slot that runs from one end of the lead to the other. Already in the slot is a piece of flat rubber with two round ends like tabs, that is a snug fit into the hole in the sinker, but too big to fit through the narrower slot unless it is pulled from both ends to stretch it.

When the line is laid onto the rubber in the slot, first one end of the rubber is pulled and twisted to get the line trapped into the hole in the lead, and then the other, so that the line winds up behind the rubber in the hole. Usually, that is enough pressure to hold the line where you want it, and the line isn't pinched by anything hard.

If you look at the picture in Cabela's again, maybe it will make more sense now.

@ mark poulson

Thank you very much , Mark , for your thorough explanation:yes: !

This is something , that I would never have figured out:yes: !

Don't think , that we have such over here , never seen nor heard of this design !

Live and learn:yay: !

But I guess , that these ones with the round plastic wedge will do as well to try , at least with braided line , but I'll still check some local mailorder shops !

Thanks again , Mark :worship:

Greetz , Dieter

Took the time today to make some weighted wire leaders with some material , that I had idling around in my workshop .

I used different wire diameters and weights , so I could get a clue about how these devices would have effect on different sized lures:wink: .

Hope , that I'd have a chance to try them out coming weekend , since they forecasted rain , won't be too pleasant to get soaked wet in my small boat :nuhuh:!

Greetz , Dieter

WEILEA_01.JPG

WEILEA_02.JPG

WEILEA_01.JPG

WEILEA_02.JPG

WEILEA_01.JPG

WEILEA_02.JPG

WEILEA_01.JPG

WEILEA_02.JPG

WEILEA_01.JPG

WEILEA_02.JPG

WEILEA_01.JPG

WEILEA_02.JPG

WEILEA_01.JPG

WEILEA_02.JPG

WEILEA_01.JPG

WEILEA_02.JPG

3674_thumb.attach

3675_thumb.attach

Dieter, those look like a great idea for what you have in mind. It is sort of like a Carolina rig. Have you ever seen the bottom walker weights? They are like a spinnerbait wire with the weight on the long arm of the wire, the swivel is on the end of the shorter arm but has no blade on it. Perhaps a better description would be that it is a wire shaped like an "L". The line tie is formed in the bend of the "L", the weight is near the bottom of the longer arm of the "L", and swivel is on end of the shorter arm. The swivel is where you tie your leader to bait.

Not a very good description, sorry. But maybe you can get the idea.

These are used to keep the weight from hanging up on the bottom as much.

David

Took the time today to make some weighted wire leaders with some material , that I had idling around in my workshop .

I used different wire diameters and weights , so I could get a clue about how these devices would have effect on different sized lures:wink: .

Hope , that I'd have a chance to try them out coming weekend , since they forecasted rain , won't be too pleasant to get soaked wet in my small boat :nuhuh:!

Greetz , Dieter

Diemai I had another idea for you. you said that you wanted something easy to change without retying. how about if you clip a bell sinker to the front swivel of your leader. when you you need wieght clip it on or take it off just as quick. You will have a simple and interchangable weighting for different sized lures.

Oh I forgot to say that I love those leaders. they look almost like the ones I made. but on mine I crimped under the bottom like you did but used shrink tubbing instead of plastic tubbing.. I like the color of the tubbing it adds to it, the fish may like it as well you know something bigger chasing something smaller

And.......

If you paint Jamie's bell sinkers red, you'd have the best of both worlds. :wink:

Oh I forgot to say that I love those leaders. they look almost like the ones I made. but on mine I crimped under the bottom like you did but used shrink tubbing instead of plastic tubbing.. I like the color of the tubbing it adds to it, the fish may like it as well you know something bigger chasing something smaller

Thanks once more for your comments , guys:worship: !

David , I know exactly , what you mean , its an "L"-shaped bottom bouncer:yes: !

There are also straight ones around , some have a floating plug(looks like a float) slid over the top portions of their wire arms to assure the frame riding upright .

They came up over here from America far more than ten years ago , but they have never stuck !

I have build a few straight ones back then , in great expectation never to loose lures anymore :yes:.

I was so convinced , that I tied on one of my those days few floating cranks for first testing , and cast it from the bank into that racetrack water(check previous link) .

Well , after a few casts the bottom bouncer including leader and my precious crank were gone , nowadays I know , that there are certain spots in that swim , that eat lures :(:angry:!

Never used those bottom bouncers since anymore , they are buried in my basement , somewhere :huh:.

Jamie and Mark , I would have loved to use shrink tube in black color as well for those leaders , but I don't have some around , so I had to use this red vinyl tubing , originally utilized to dress trebles , wanted to use green one at first , but it was finished , cut it all for masking screweyes .

But who knows , maybe those red dashes ahead of a lure would drive'em nuts , lol !

The other materials are grey rigid plastic tubing and simple electric cable insulation tubing , just pulled out the copper core .

I had often thought about clipping a sinker into the connecting swivel between leader and line as well , but for some reason I never did it :huh::o.

And honestly speaking , I have never bothered too much about getting a floating lure deep on the bottom !

If I want to fish there , I'd tie on an approbiate lure straightaway:yes: .

Now it is only the case , that I have great expectation and confidence in swimbaits to score in that heavily fished water , since it is something , that the fish won't know:nuhuh: !

But I need to get it down to the bottom , because that's where they are !

I can't switch to another sinking lure-type , since I just WANT to fish those swimbaits deep down :yes:!

Everybody is using leadheads with plastics there , I always like to go different , I use heavy spoons (just mailordered a few to test from Eppinger/Michigan) and bigger sinking cranks(SuperShadRap and homemades) .

Don't catch more that way , but I enjoy fishing those lures , since plastics are not just my type of lures:nuhuh: .

Greetz , Dieter

Edited by diemai
addition of text

David,

If those rigs are used for trolling, would they work with a floating crank attached?

I know that this question wasn't directed towards me, but from my experience yes. Thats the only way I have caught walleye on my homemades, because I'm not very adept at making deep divers yet. Just attach a length of leader (depending on how high above the bottom you want your lure to be) and go for it. Not my favorite way to fish, but if it works, why not?

Mike

Edited by IamSpartacus

To achieve a slow sinking swimbait running deeper during trolling I use heavy splitshot weights on a wire leader. This works great for me and is very fast to exchange or detach from the leader.

Because I often troll the swimbait from fishing spot to the next this is a good alternative to change between casting and trolling without of changing the whole leader.

The heavy split shot doesn't affect the action of the swimbait because it is drop off the lure running in front of it.

Hi , guys , thank you all for your comments and statements , you have really raised my hopes and expectations on those weighted leaders , can't wait until the weekend to try them:yes:!

Only hope , that the forecast rain won't get too heavy around here , otherwise my small boat would turn into a bath tub , and I guess , I got way too old for such inconvinience:huh::yes::lol: !

Greetz , Dieter

how long are those leaders if you are planning to drag the sinker across the bottom just remember give enough leader length to let your bait swim without it dragging and crashing it into the bottom. good luck if they work try making another set with flex leader(seven strand wire) material . with a flex leader your swim bait will have better action due to the flex of the wire instead of a solid wire shaft that wont be as forgiving

@ jamie

These leaders are rather short , 8" to 14" (approx.) , maybe way too short :huh:?

Don't have experience with such , but I would always only "tip" the bottom briefly , and lift off lure again , not too many snags occur that way in that water(apart from these previously mentioned "lure-eating" spots), and I always have a good lure retriever (with 60 feet of cord attached) aboard .

But thanks once more about the hint of those flexible leaders , if I am lucky , I would find the leader material , that I still have somewhere in my shop (1X7 , nylon coated) , and make two or three in the morning .

I guess , a length of 2 feet would be OK , otherwise might be to tricky to cast:? ?

Well , need to try everything to find out , what works best for me:yes: !

Thanks again , Dieter

@ jamie

There are contrary discussions in the German angling press about fluocarbon versus steel leaders !

Some say , fluo is better since being invisible for the fish , others say , that enthusiastic pike might also still snap it . And it is also more expensive:yes:!

I guess , that I stay with steel , I am just used to it ! May be visible to the fish , but dead sure a pike can't bite it off :yay:!

greetz , Dieter