chartreuse

dealing with cottonwood

A few of the lakes in the mid-west have the same problem. I've always either put up with the problem or move to different waters. While a chainsaw might produce temporary relief from the problem, the next year the stumps will produce new saplings and the problem will be as bad or worse. It seems like the problem only lasts a couple weeks, so it should disappear in a little while... Just the price you pay for fishing on good waters.

I had to fis in a tournament a couple of weeks ago. That cotten was every were. I had to quit using a buzzbait I was spending to much time cleaning than fishing. I couldn't tell if bass were popping the top or it was carp popping the top. It was carp of course. Oh well we still won by a pound and a half with 6.1lb. Lake also whent up three feet in a day.

Also have similar trees and bushes in Europe(the ones near the bank shown in my avatar), though seemingly not as worse as that cottonwood .

Nothing really helps against the line getting fouled up for good casting:( .

During the time , when these fluffy things are spreading , I possibly try fishing waters , where there are not too many of such trees and possibly on windy days , when most of the stuff collects on one bank by the wind .

Quiet waters are the most nasty in that way .

But this certainly also depends on the general local climate .

Also I have the impression , that local predators don't respond to lures very well at these times , certainly that does not have to do with the spreading "wool" , but with the season of year in general :huh:!

Only know about one trick to avoid foul-up of line and especially lure , but this only works for trolling diving or sinking lures from a boat .

Watched it in a video sequence from a German pro angler , he trolled his lures in a Dutch river for perch and zander , it was a season of year , when there is a lot of dead vegetation and other biological debris drifting around to catch up with the lure .

So he just rigged a plastic or rubber bead of about 1/4" to 1/2" a few feet ahead of the lure rigid onto the main line , all the rubbish would catch up there and not reach down the lure to foul that one up:wink: .

Sadly for casting such won't work , especially not with those rather short rods common in America , in Europe we use 10 to 12 feet rods , at least for lurefishing from the bank(which most people do , I suppose ) .

Greetz , diemai

Edited by diemai
addition of text