.dsaavedra.

cordless drill as lure turner?

I've read somewhere of guys using a cordless drill at low speeds to put a smooth layer of Flex Coat to rad wrappings and switching to manually turning the rod until it sets up. If you have an old one that you don't plan to use as a drill any more; I've got an old 9 volt that may have just found a new life...

ok i didnt plan on doing this too much, and just for one lure at a time (im not setting up a drying wheel for this).

i dont have a trash microwave, and i dont know if i could get one.

we have one other drill, but it is ANCIENT. it is huge, heavy, and plugs into the wall, and its not variable speed either.

I tried it a few weeks ago and won,t do it again to hard to control the speed and i couldn,t stop it unless i pulled the battery . The first one went without to many problems but the second one, well lets just say i,m still picking epoxy out of my eyebrows ,gotta watch those speed wobbles Marks right doing a few shouldn,t hurt the drill but it,s not a long term solution.A corded drill would work better imho the kind with a variable speed knob that you turn up or down,usually found on the trigger plus you could stop /start it simply by unplugging it (yard sale 5-10 bucks) Rotisserie motor is another option not a bad speed and pretty cheap, also i understand that some people even use them to cook food on the bbq {did a search and couldn,t find anything in the threads to confirm this } Onething i would suggest is try a dry lure and treat it as if it had epoxy on it and play with the cordless see if it works for you. Good luck and let us know how it works Jimbo

You can get the carosel motors online (ebay, appliance part sites,etc) resonably cheap. I've seen them go on ebay for about 6bucks!!! Just a suggestion...If that old drill isn't a variable drill you might sling epoxy all over the place.

And depending on how tight the clamps on your drying wheel are, it might start to resemble a primitive rocket launcher minus a directional guidance system (pretty entertaining, but not real rewarding).:D

Folks have used other motor systems to power drying wheels from old microwave motors that turn at 6 RPMs to rotisserie grill spits that turn around 6 RPMs. Any low cost slow RPM motor can be used to keep a drying wheel turning; and there is no lack of ideas on ways to build drying wheels. One member built one out of old data CDs that where no longer needed. Kind of a "Green" idea that was a real space saver (which is great if your a college student on a budget). :twocents:

Good luck and keep those ideas flowing...

Try KIJIJI ,it,s an online classified ads site it doesn,t cost anything not here at least.You can post LOOKING FOR or WANTED FREE check it out. Excuse my ignorance but if MD stands for maryland it,s available in your state, i checked. A month ago or so i posted LOOKING FOR LURE AND ROD BUILDING STUFF from that ad a got a lee pot ,10 do-it molds,boggs tackle maker 200lbs of lead a couple blanks ,tons of spinner bait stuff etc etc. It was all within a 20 min drive from my home as well. Getting someones old microwave should be a snap

jimbo

I too just wanted to turn one or two, without wanting to sort out a proper turner at this time. My drill is a very cheap variable speed drill, so if it burned out, I was not particularly bothered.

It was difficult to regulate, but once I had it set, I just switched on and off from the wall.

It did work, but, as stated in this thread, the windings did not like it very much. But it only has to survive 30 minutes. I would not leave it alone in the house though. But if you are going to turn more in the future, you should sort a proper turner out.

If you have the web site "Craigs List" in your town, you can find all kinds of free stuff including microwave ovens. Just Google "Craigs List", then go to the free stuff. When folks don't want their old stuff any more they post what is called a "curb alert" which means they have set it out by the curb to for the first taker.

Edited by Fish With Teeth

I have been using a Bosch drill gun for some time with excellent success. I use a small quick grip clamp and squeez it until the drill is just starting to engage (needs to be infinite variable speed of course). I simply clamp down the tail end of my bait into the gun (make sure its quite tight) and start brushing on my epoxy. Once I have completely covered the bait and have put the squeeze clamp on, I observe it for about the first 3-4 min. to make sure the epoxy is rolling out smooth and that no "dry spots" are still present.

I will say this, I tried a DeWalt drill that worked. However, the drill was a lot more stressed at the low rpm than the Bosch. Good luck!

I now have a collection of Microwave motors, from 2.5 rpm up to about 6 rpm. I purchased a couple off FleaBay (about $4) and scrounged the others off mates reject Micros, takes about 30 seconds to remove them from the bottom of the oven. They all have heaps of torque, just remember to grab the indexed plastic wheel with the rollers, from inside the oven, this will make it easier to attach to your wheel. pete

Edited by hazmail

Might try flea markets, garage sales always find micro waves and stuff or try American Science & Surplus they have a lot of items and different things here is a ebay link that will work

http://shop.#%23%23%23%23%23%23%23%23/?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=m38&_nkw=low%20rpm%20motor&_nd1=See-All-Categories' rel="">

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
eBay url

I got one off Ebay while back the guy had a bunch of them I think they were used for inside like the inflatable toys outside to turn the things inside I tried to search earlier but couldnt locate any yet

Might try flea markets, garage sales always find micro waves and stuff or try American Science & Surplus they have a lot of items and different things here is a ebay link that will work

quote]

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
eBay url

zman,

Please review the http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/tu-site-info-updates/886-site-rules-you-must-read-before-posting.html

#15. eBay auctions: eBay & other auction listings are prohibited because they are "time sensitive".

We do this because we plan on being around for awhile & its irritating to chase an auction link that ended & sold years ago. Circumventing this rule by posting auction numbers, seller ID's, etc. will be dealt with in the same manner.