mark poulson

6" swimbait fish

I played hookey with a friend yesterday, and went up to fish Castaic. First thing, I was throwing my 6" crappie swimbait, slow sink, and he was throwing my 8" trout, fast sink.

He got slapped but no hookup, and had a big follower.

I got this fish, and had a monster come up out of the depths and turn away when she saw the boat. It was an, "Oh my .........!" moment. You fill in the blanks. If I had been working that wall from the opposite direction, so the lure came across her at the start of the cast instead of the end, she would have eaten it, she was coming up so hard and fast.

Her tail looked like a broom when she turned in about 4' of gin clear water.

Anyway, here's the fish I caught. Not the biggest on this lure so far, but fun.

tn?sid=2101622168&mid=AKzPjkQAADu3SFqFaQDGo0J9wJw&partid=2&f=818&fid=Inbox

Jamie,

It opens on my computer. Maybe it's in a format that your computer won't open. That happens to me all the time.

Here's another go at it:

tn?sid=2101622168&mid=AKjPjkQAAKLISFsTeAs63Q4kzPw&partid=2.2&f=818&fid=Inbox

I don't know how to post it larger, or in a different format, and my kids aren't here, so it will have to wait.

Sorry if it doesn't open this time.

@ mark poulson

Maybe this describtion from an absolute computer dumphead would lead you the right way :

I load my pics from the camera into my picture program(Picasa 2) and work on them(brightness , focus , contrast, etc... ) , save my settings and save up the chosen pics there to export them into another new file , in a minimized pixel size of 650 pixels !

After that open up this new file and mark those pics one by one to alter their name(I always do this referring to what is shown on it in capital letters and numbers, check the names on my forum thumbnails) .

The sense of this is , that EVERY picture that you post , should have a different name , when there are two equally named ones around , one won't submit . And your camera will always give same picture names , since everytime that you delete your memory card inside of it , it would just start at number one again !

Make sure , that there also won't be no double filenames , either !

Allright , you did this , so when posting , go below the text window on "manage attachments" , click on it , a window appears and you choose "search files" there to get access to your own picture files , where you choose desired file and mark it .

Now mark desired picture and open it up , the file name would then appear in its bar inside the window .

Repeat on second and third bar , if you wish to upload more than one picture .

Finally click on the "upload" bar , than your selection would be submitted into your reply , indicated by the picture names shown in yellow writing in that window , but also in the "manage attachments" square in the "Reply" mask .

Hope , that an absolute "Know-Nothing" could possibly help you !

Greetz , diemai

Geez,

My friend said it's a skinny fish, but not that skinny!

I'll try it from my email, where I sent the photo from the picture software.

tn?sid=2101622168&mid=AKjPjkQAAKLISFsTeAs63Q4kzPw&partid=2.2&f=818&fid=Inbox

I can see the photo on this post. It is an http// file.

If I try to load it from my documents, it's a jpeg, or whatever that is, and it won't load.

All of the photos I loaded in the gallery I did this same way, so I don't know whats going on, unless the latest site maintenance cycle changed something.

Edited by mark poulson

Mark,

There is a limit of 98 kb on photos added as attachments. Normally, if you save them as 640 x 400, the file size is small enough to post. As someone else has pointed out, a photobucket account will allow you to just copy the image location line in photobucket and just paste it into your post. The TU server have 0 added file size to show the photo; but if the photobucket server goes down or if they purge files, your link will be lost and show as a red X where the photo used to be viewed.

Gees, you got to love all this technolgy stuff... Just get away from it for a year or two and watch how quick you loose the "Edge".

So Bruce,

Since I just put my 13 year old IT person on a plane to visit her auntie in San Francisco, I'm totally lost. I have no clue how in the world to reduce a picture.

I'm having dinner tonight with a neighbor who actually sells computers and stuff, but she doen't know anything about how they work! So I'll have to wait until Tuesday, when my daughter is back, to give it another try.

It does seem strange to me that I can put them in the gallery, and not on the forum, but I guess that will remain one of life's little mysteries.

Mark,

There is a limit of 98 kb on photos added as attachments. Normally, if you save them as 640 x 400, the file size is small enough to post. As someone else has pointed out, a photobucket account will allow you to just copy the image location line in photobucket and just paste it into your post. The TU server have 0 added file size to show the photo; but if the photobucket server goes down or if they purge files, your link will be lost and show as a red X where the photo used to be viewed.

Gees, you got to love all this technolgy stuff... Just get away from it for a year or two and watch how quick you loose the "Edge".

But if Photobucket goes down, you still have the originals on your computer. Also, as a backup, Emailing things to yourself via Gmail insures storage and access to it, from anywhere. Just "label" them TU Photos":twocents:

Thanks David.

Me, too!

Actually, I caught my new personal best, a nice 8lb10oz largemouth, yesterday afternoon at Castaic, after I'd finished my duties as weigh master for my friends tournament trail.

I caught her on an Ika, pitched tight to the side of a rock point.

Kind of bitter sweet.

She ate it and swam off without a tap. When I saw the line move, I swung but she had already swallowed it, and fought so hard that it must have just torn up her guts. Even though, after I got her in the net, I turned the hook and it popped out with no bleeding, she wouldn't go back down when I released her.

We tried to revive her in the live well with Catch and Release, but she wouldn't get off her side, and, eventually died.

I took her home and filleted her, and we're having her for dinner tonight, and a few more meals, too.

When I cleaned her, her stomach was full of feathers. Funny thing about that, earlier that day my partner and I saw a mother duck with one duckling, and he said, "Poor momma duck, down to one baby", and I said a big bass had probably eaten the rest. Now I know it's true, they eat birds even at Castaic in SoCal.

I'm going to have to do a search for bird lures here, and see what I can come up with.

Ha, ha. That would be a blast, but I'd have to use a salt water fly rod, and heavy leader, for sure, and that would be some workout.

I used to see a guy fly fishing for bass from a boat at Castaic years ago, but haven't seen him for quite some time. He did really well in the mornings, when the wind was still down.

I'll stick to traditional baitcasters. It's enough of a workout for me.

Ha, ha. That would be a blast, but I'd have to use a salt water fly rod, and heavy leader, for sure, and that would be some workout.

I used to see a guy fly fishing for bass from a boat at Castaic years ago, but haven't seen him for quite some time. He did really well in the mornings, when the wind was still down.

I'll stick to traditional baitcasters. It's enough of a workout for me.

My thoughts exactly. :teef:

David

@ mark poulson

Hey , Mark , this is a great story about the feathers and ducklings , but at first , off course , congratulations on your PB largemouth , almost 4 kilograms , what a fish:yay:!

My buddy Ulrich also always thoroughly examines the stomach contents of the fish , that he takes home .

He is not a lure angler , but he then chooses his bait accordingly .

Some years ago in summer I have caught a bigger eel in a gravel pit in Hamburg , which is also very popular for swimming , sunbathing , surfing , barbecue , etc ...... !

Some time before that someone once told me , that the biggest eel there would take a Bavarian meat speciality , a kind of pie(without dough) called "Leberk