clemmy

Electrical wire?

Hello,

I'm way beyond my depth on this one. I was hoping one of you electrician/engineer types could help me out. I'm looking for what to call/search for regaarding normal insulated twisted electrical wire, but without the sticky clear glue. I'm sure ther's a name for it, but I haven't been able to find any. All I've found is various guages with the adhesive lining...

Thanks,

Craig

Craig,

I think we're going to need a little more information; I know I don't understand the, "but without the sticky clear glue." part of your description. Most wire doesn't have any glue in it's composition; but your not wanting the glue. I think you'er looking for just regular insulated wire, if it is to provide power directly from a 12 volt battery you want primary wire, if it's for your boat, you may want to upgrade to tinned wire.

What are you planning to use this wire for?

Bruce,

Most wire I is twisted and when you use a wire stripper it sometimes has a stick residue. I don't know if it's to keep the insulation on or to keep the wire from untwisting. I'm looking to make a twisted wire weedguard for some walle jigs, king of like the Lindy timber jigs...

Craig,

I think your talking about the coating they put on the copper (a lacquer type coating) to prevent oxidation from turning the wire green. That said, you may want to actually keep that coating intact. I would try determining if the originals have that coating or not; the simplest way to test that would be to see if it melts.

I have been play with automotive wiring lately and I haven't come across any clear coat on the automotive primary wire sold by Advanced Auto. There is shielded wire used in aircraft applications that has several funky distinct layers; weird cool stuff.

I think you could look at the different gauge wires and find a size that works for your weed guard. Good luck!

Edited by Spike-A-Pike

You can buy fine copper wire on a spool that's used for flytying. Also; when I tied flys: I would find hobby motors and tear them apart to get the winding copper. You can get these motors quite cheap sometimes.

If you know someone who pours baits and uses a coffee grinder they may give you the old worn out ones and you can strip those motors. I usually go through 3 or 4 of those a year.

www.novalures.com

I've had better success with steel leader, compared to copper wire. It doesn't turn green, can be soft or hard, (depending on pound-test and braided versus solid) and is relatively easy to get.

Otherwise, go to Home Depot and check out their bulk stuff until you find what you want. Best wishes.

-TH

Clemmy

Sounds like what you are looking for is braided Leader Wire ... You can get it coated or uncoated .. got to a good saltwater shop and they will have it. Several different brands.

I am not sure .. could be wrong .. but I belive that Lindys used coated braided (or Twisted) leader wire.

JSC

Clemmy, I'm sure you already figured this out but if you didn't I might have a different understanding of what you are looking for. It sounds like the wire you have is THHN which has a plastic type of coating on the outside that sleeves the copper wire jacket. The wire that is classifed XHHW doesn't have the plastic covering on it and it has different heat rating and chemical values. This might not have been what you are looking for but its all I could make out of it.