The Natural

Gave painting a try...

My compressor just arrived (finally), and I dove right in. I doodled on a piece of paper to get a feel for how the thing worked, and then messed around with the paint to see what consistency shot the best. The paint I'm using isn't that great...it's .87 cent 'Folk Art' paint I bought at hobby lobby (I don't want to spend a bunch of money yet). Anyway...first one down...should be all downhill from here on out hopefully...

FYI...the red dot on the lip isn't from this repaint; I fill in the hole that comes in the cb50's lip and seal it with a dot of red lipstick. Also...the dark spots are from where the cb50 is put together. I can't really prime this bait...I wanted to stick to the light 'ghost-like' appearance.

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Edited by The Natural

Very respectable job - I really like the pin striping. Are you thinking of adding air bags so bass can "slam" that bait? LoL

Good luck.

Actually...I was thinking about going with the Chavez edition, and adding purple fur and a chain steering wheel. Of course 'Chavez' will be written on the back in old english styled letters (the Europeans are going "huh?"). You just have to live here in the southern U.S. to know what I'm talkin' about :wink:

Nice job! Especially for your first air brush paint job!

I think you're on the right track with the ghost color pattern. It works really well here in SoCal in ultra clear water.

I might suggest buying some air brush paint, and see how you like it.

The reason to try a better paint that is made for air brushes, like Createx, is that it is easier to work with, with smaller pigment particles (which I learned here from Bob P) so you can avoid some of the clumping, splattering, and clogged needle problems that cheaper paint, with larger pigment particles, can sometimes have.

I sometimes use Apple Barrel paints, hobby paints, which are $.99 at Michaels, but I thin them with Windex. Nothing scientific. Just put some paint in a small salsa cup, add Windex a squeeze at a time, and stir, until the paint is runny like milk. Works for me. You might try it with your hobby paint. And the Windex helps to keep the paint from getting hard in the salsa cup, so the next time I want to use it, I take off the top, mix it, add enough new Windex to get the consistency I want, and presto, I'm in business.

Just a tip to make life simpler.

@ The Natural

Huh !:lol:

In my opinion you hit it right about a "ghost-like" appearance , also a great idea about the lipstick !

Well done first design:yay: !

I am always amazed about such ideas on simple aids and tools to get further without having to spend much money .

keep up your good work , diemai

how did you get the yellow pin stripe on there

Well...I have some pretty severe tremors even though I am only 30 (it is hereditary, and runs in my family). I don't know if these guys freehand their stripes, but I wasn't about to try; I just used good ol' masking tape :wink:.

Mark- I am using windex to thin my hobby paints. There isn't any way these thick paints would spray without it. I did pick up the tip on using windex by reading some past posts. Works well, but I am getting some serious tip clogging with these cheap paints! I have to say though...quite a few of them are spraying very well through my HP-C. Hobby Lobby only carries a few colors of createx, and like 1000 colors of the hobby paints. I bought some 'olive' colored hobby paint that shot very well after being thinned, and made a pretty darn good rootbeer pattern. Thanks for the reply's...I've definitely screwed up a few baits since :wink:.

That's funny. Their olive color is why I bought the Apple Barrel, because I couldn't find it in Createx or Wildlife Colors, and the olive I mixed wasn't what I wanted.

I guess great minds think alike! :lol:

I think, once you get comfortable, you'll probably be interested in some of the other paints available from different suppliers for air brushing. I've gotten some really interesting effects with some of the Wildlife flipflop colors and iridescent colors from BearAir Express airbrush airbrushes airbrush supplies airbrush paint ABMag. And I just ordered some of their Auto Air paint to play with. It's a good source for a large variety. Shipping costs suck. I'm sure if you look around the internet, you'll probably find other suppliers, too. Just google air brush paints.

Anyway, good luck.

I used to work with a guy who also had very severe tremors from nerve damage, they so bad that the only way he could get his arm steady enough to get the first few cups of coffee down was to take a belt, loop it and put the loop around his right wrist, run the belt over the back of his neck, and pull his coffee to his lips by pulling the belt with his left hand. It looked a little odd, but once you knew the "why"; it made prefect sense.

Traditional painters with bush and canvas often use various aids to steady their hands to get the strokes in the very manner needed to add the details required. I'm going through some pretty hairy issues with my sense of touch and it makes detail work kind of tricky... Sometimes you just got to think yourself past the problem to get the best result possible. Good luck, remember as you go forward with your painting, your only going to learn and improve if you are willing to try... Most of the time we are our own worst critics, but what you don't like, you can always paint it over again.

I have nerve damage in my spinal cord, caused by a virus that attacked the mylin sheath around the spinal cord. It happened twenty five years ago, when I inhaled some vapors on the job that lowered the blood brain barrier and let a virus that was already in my blood stream, but harmless, pass into my brain and spinal cord.

The virus died out after a couple of weeks, and the numbness it caused slowly disappeared. The only residual symptoms I had left was numbness in my hands, not a good thing for a carpenter. If I put my hand in my pocket, I couldn't tell the difference between a dime and a quarter.

But, even though I still have a "glow" all the time, I've slowly regained my feel. Nerves do regenerate.

So good luck, and fingers crossed.

Nice paint job!.. OK..I am a little weird but the cb50 has a hole in the lip? I have seen this a while back in Japanese Re-do's but I think everybody came to the concensus that it did not make any difference. Hard to beleive LC would have a mould like that.

NAT - Very 'Brazilian', if you will pardon the expression. It seems that different parts of the lure making world, have a distinct difference in color preference (here it's fluro). There is a guy in Brazil (Kazan) who uses these very light hues, beautiful lures (in my humble opinion), as are yours , keep at it. pete

Edited by hazmail