Bass'n'Cast

What do you use?

I shorten them by folding the legs back on themselves. Then drill the hole large enough to accomodate the extra diameter. The fold will never allow the cotter pin to pull out. BTW, I also use them to make the line tie in the lip.

Gene

@ Bass'n'Cast

Here are two pics about homemade wire eyes , took them from magazine essays , that I wrote about two to three years ago(sorry , don't have a scanner/printer) .

I use 1,0mm dia. SST wire for these and glue them in thoroughly with two-component glue .

The coiled ones are a bit finacky to bend with the eye fixed in a vise , but to fix them into the lure is far easier and faster .

Tested these ones for pull out with fishing scales , the scales got spoiled at a pull force of 23 Kilograms (about 50 lbs) and the eyes didn't move out of the wood a single bit !

Greetz , diemai

WIREY_01.jpg

WIREY_02.jpg

WIREY_01.jpg

WIREY_02.jpg

WIREY_01.jpg

WIREY_02.jpg

WIREY_01.jpg

WIREY_02.jpg

WIREY_01.jpg

WIREY_02.jpg

WIREY_01.jpg

WIREY_02.jpg

WIREY_01.jpg

WIREY_02.jpg

WIREY_01.jpg

WIREY_02.jpg

3355_thumb.attach

3356_thumb.attach

@ Bass'n'Cast

If you should have further questions , feel free to post here or drop a PM:yes: , I could give you some more hints about these , especially the working processes .

But why don't you get yourself the screweyes , that BobP mentioned here ? This is the easiest and fastest way to rig your lures :wink:.

I had to find this solution about those pictured wire eyelets , since we can hardly get such special lure eyescrews over here in Germany , only very few internet shops carry them recently , ordinary tackleshops not at all:( !

greetz , diemai

Being new to the game...I'm here to tell you Gene's idea is where it's at. I found using cotter pins was significantly easier than doing steel wire coiled over on itself (not even doing a through frame). Still much easier. I just finished several baits that are ready for paint, and I used a cotter pin through a tru-tungsten bullet weight for the belly ballast/hanger, and a cotter pin for the tail hanger as well. As Gene said, if you take a pair of pliers and bend the tip of the pin into a barb; it will dig in to the balsa if you try to pull it out. There is no way it's going anywhere. It made what I thought was going to be the more difficult part of the bait construction into a very simple procedure. Thank's Gene :yay:

Edited by The Natural

Mark,

I don't remember any conversation about barrell weights. So, I don't believe it was me. Sorry.

The Natural,

Thanks for all of the compliments. The cotter pins have worked great fo me, too.

Jim,

The following is a description of the pins that I use. I bought mine from McMaster-Carr. But, there are others that sell them.

98355a200callout.gif

Part Number: 98401A417

Price - $2.29 per Pack of 100

Material Type - Stainless Steel

Finish - Plain

Stainless Steel Type - 18-8 Stainless Steel

Diameter - 1/16"

Overall Length - 1"

Gene

one method I've used for baits made of pine, cedar, basswood and other semi-soft hard woods is bend a loop in SS wire but instead of twisting the wire just bend some 45 degree rabbit ears on the end of the wires. leave the tag ends long enough that they are forced to compress as you insert the wire into the hole drilled into the bait but short enough that when you try to pull the eye back out they grab into the wood and resist extraction. Fill the hole with epoxy push the wires in and you are set.

Here are some pics. I'm not sure if Gene does it exactly this way, but I just took the idea and ran with it. I just went to my local Home Depot and purchased a bunch of packs of cotter pins. I'm using the 3/4" long pins...

IMG_0146.jpg

Here are some Tru-Tungsten bullet weights (ballasts) ready to be inserted and epoxied into the belly.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

Here is the cotter pin for the tail section with the end bent into a barb. I drill a small hole, one smaller than the pin, and shove it in with pliers. You can't pull it out...an then I shoot epoxy down into the hole.

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

On 6/30/2008 at 7:13 AM, The Natural said:

Here are some pics. I'm not sure if Gene does it exactly this way, but I just took the idea and ran with it. I just went to my local Home Depot and purchased a bunch of packs of cotter pins. I'm using the 3/4" long pins... 

I also constantly use the services of college assignment help - it simplifies the process of writing an essay and saves my time. In addition, I have excellent academic performance!

Here are some Tru-Tungsten bullet weights (ballasts) ready to be inserted and epoxied into the belly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/mpratt/IMG_0137.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/mpratt/IMG_0138.jpg

Here is the cotter pin for the tail section with the end bent into a barb. I drill a small hole, one smaller than the pin, and shove it in with pliers. You can't pull it out...an then I shoot epoxy down into the hole.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/mpratt/IMG_0155.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/mpratt/IMG_0140.jpg

not bad! I still use similar ones - it seems to me that they are more reliable

Edited by adamgreen21