joshuaclayton

Air brushing

Guys ive been repainting old lures with lost paint for a while now and want to try to advance now. Id like to start airbrushing more seriously and would appreciate all the information on the proven air brushes, lure bodys, paints, basically for the ones that have been at it a while if you where just now starting and new what you do now what would you start with. I would appreciate any knowledge on the toolbox I guess you would say that I need to create my own patterns. Im hoping to paint cranks, jerks, and topwater hardbaits. Thanks alot.

Well, I can't lend you any airbrushing tips other than to buy a good airbrush (everybody will say this :wink:). I think buying 'right' the first time can relate to a lot of things. I'd recommend going to ebay. I purchased my airbrush and compressor there for quite a good deal. I went with a new Iwata HP-C ($85) and a 1/5hp compressor from spc global ($119). I have to say...I'm really impressed with this compressor. It's a nice unit. It is very quiet, has the auto feature, comes with a moisture tap and air pressure regulator and even an air hose. It will maintain 40+ psi, but I'm working with about 30.

Here is the compressor...

http://cgi.#########/NEW-Quiet-1-5-hp-AIRBRUSH-TANK-COMPRESSOR-FREE-AIR-HOSE_W0QQitemZ200234468655QQihZ010QQcategoryZ134557QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You'll find a BUNCH of info on equipment if you use the search function to check specific topics in this forum. Most brands of airbrush do a good job on crankbaits but personally I like Iwata because they are very high quality and controllable. I've used other brands and models, and know you can learn to use any airbrush effectively. It's a matter of learning a specific brush, how best to use its good features and overcome its limitations. Right now I use a HP-B+ with a .2mm tip and a Revolution B with .3mm tip. I'm liking the Revolution more and more. Although it is one of the cheapest Iwata's ($60-70) it has the same high quality as more expensive Iwata's and its .3mm tip is just the right size for most crankbait painting chores. I wish it were the first airbrush I ever bought instead of the last.