borderbasser

New swimbait

Had already written a comment last night , but it didn't submit anymore , since the site was temporary shut down:( !

I like the detailed carving work on your swimbait , as I first saw the pictures , I've thought , that it was made in a mold poured with some sort of resin .

You have achieved a very nice job , my own first swimbait that I am currently working on , would never turn out as well as yours , just since I probably don't have a sense of beauty as you have , and also because I don't count a big deal about elaborate detail work (though I truly admire this and the people furnishing it:yes:) !

Keep on carving , diemai

Hey guys, I really appreciate the compliments. Mark the fins are made of plexiglass that I have cut grooves in with a dremel and a small cut-off tool. Then I take a small drill bit and use it like a router bit to cut a groove in the bait to insert and epoxy the fins in with. As far as the carving goes, I wish I can say I'm really talented, but the truth is I have more time than talent. You may not believe this, but I do all the rough out carving with that small drill bit in my dremel tool LOL! Then I use what I think is a small chain saw sharpening bit, small drum sander in the dremel, and some small pieces of sandpaper to kinda finish it out and clean up the edges. As far as the action goes, it really doesn't have as strong a kcik as I had hoped since I built it to throw when the wind is really gettin' it, but I think it will do just fine.

I really appreciate the kudos on the paint job too. That is something I have really struggled with. All it is, is a light coat of Createx Trans yellow, then some kinda trans green I have mixed up, and a light coat of Createx trans. dark brown over the back...all over Createx Pearl. Then of course the black splatter.

Oh yeah Mark, I DO intend to sore-mouth a few of the local Amistad bass with it!

Thanks guys.

TJ

If you can make a shape that looks that nice with a dremel you could do it with other tools just as well. Next time you might try a flat wood file, that's what I like to use and it really goes fast. I have completely worn the edge off of several files over the last few years, I just enjoy watching the wood take shape. Use the dremel for the details, eyes, gills, etc.

You did a beautiful job on this lure.......well done.

RM

Thanks for all the compliments fellas. Riverman, I actually do all the shaping on a benchtop beltsander and a flap wheel chucked up in my drill press after rough cutting with the band saw. Then I finish it off by hand with sand paper. The detail work I do with the Dremel. I couldn't imagine trying to do all that shaping with just a dremel...yikes! Thanks again.

TJ

First of all, very nice bait and kudos to mentioning your inspiration for this lure. I see that you are not completely happy w/ the action, I have found that it is really difficult to get the tail to kick on wakebaits w/ lexan. You have to have no weight in the tail and leave enough play so that the tail can work back and forth like the 3:16 lures. I have found that using soft plastic or some kind of bristles for the tail is much more forgiving and produces a more fluid motion.