SAWESOX

CUTTING SLOT FOR CRANKBAIT LIPS

Hi

Just would like to get some information or opinions on what is the preferred method of cutting the slot for cranks,i have used a bandsaw,scroll saw and a dremel,would a tablesaw be better? i would think this could be somewhat dangerous depending on the thickness,please lend me thoughts on the subject

sawesox aka lungebob

Hi there, I use a tablesaw to put the lip slot in all of my baits. That is the first step I do. I don't put them in a single blank. I put the slot in a board and then cut the blanks out. Hope this helps and if you have any questions I would be more than glad to help out if I can. Good Luck. Ken Schmitz. Mylures

Sawesox

I make flat sided baits out of balsa....to cut my lip slots I have a jigsaw mounted upside down to the bottom of a table. The blade is sticking straight up through from the bottom. I wired it in with a light dimmer switch so I could slow it way down...I just lay the bait on its side and push in to the desired depth.

Hope this helps......Tuff-Tackle

Sawesox,

I do the same as Mylures...cut it out on a table saw. Judging by your handle you too make muskie/pike baits? If your stock is large enough you can follow Ken's advice Ie. cut a slot in a wide board and rip it into smaller pieces after or you can do them individually.

BTW, thanks for switching to lower case letters...it's sooooo much easier to read. :D

You can also visit my site www.geocities.com/out2llunge for advice on making muskie baits.

Cheers,

o2l

Hi Tally, When I use the table saw I am using a carbide tipped blade which just happens to work out perfect for my baits. I never miked the blade but I am guessing close to 1/8 inch. All you have to do is cut a slot into a scrap piece of wood and see if your lip fits. If it is too tight then move the fence just a slight bit and recut the slot until you get it the way you want it. The fit for me is actually perfect with one cut as I can put in a lip and go try a bait and it won't come out when I cast and retreive it. If the lip you are using is thinner then use a fine toothed plywood blade. I hope this helps and if you have any questions please ask and I will be glad to help out if I can. :lol: Ken Schmitz Mylures

Hi Tally, just out of curiosity I am going to mike a plywood blade tomorrow and see what they are for thickness new. The teeth can be set heavier or take abit of the set out. I have a sharpening shop so it will be something to play around with. I will let you know what I come up with. You could always get one blade set at say.055 and then mark it and use it for lip slots only. Good luck. Ken Schmitz Mylures

Skeeter-

That is how I do it also. But when I cut the slot for the lip, I have to use a flat needle file to widen the slot to have a tight fit with the lexan. I have tried widening the slot with the band saw, and I always get it to wide. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Tally

Hey Tally, on my first try for a lure I cut the slot WAY TO BIG for my lip. I actually used a table scroll saw that I have. DEFINITELY A HARD WAY TO DO IT... but Its the tool I got to work with. I placed the lip in the slot applied some epoxy and worked it till I had the perfect spot and let it cure over night. Sanded it down the next day, primed it, painted it... and you would never know the difference! I just cut the next slots out using the same tools and methods.... I GOT IT DOWN! Perfect fits! The more you do... HOPEFULLY the better you get. Cody