22 replies to this topic

#21 pizza

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:56 AM

those heddon pumpkinseeds look sweet!

How do they fish/how is their action?

Perhaps the white is caused by outgassing of something else in the tacklebox? Maybe soft plastics? Just an idea.

#22 mr max

mr max

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

I bought a tackle box at a yard sale very cheap and it contained some old hula poppers and flatfish that had a waxy coating.I dropped a couple of generic polident denture cleaning tablets in a olive jar containg the lures and let it set several days then wiped the lures off, I repeated the process and the waxy coating was gone.I don't know if it will work on your lures,but last week I caught a 4 lb bass on one of the reclaimed hula poppers with a new skirt tied on it.

#23 Lure--Prof

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:52 AM

Plastic plugs will do well with the kids of cleaning suggested, and it looks as though you are on your way. Treat your lure boxes (and any literature insde) kindly also, as they will usually double the worth of collectible lures--such as the baby bass Deep Wee-R, top right in your photo, not to mention your Jitterbug & box. When cleaning most older wood lures, it is best to avoid using water, particularly if there is a bit of paint cracking or checking: A bit of linseed oil on a rag with a light touch will help those.

Hey Mark, plastic lures have been around many years! Heddon introduced their "Spook" lures, named thus because of the see-through aspects of their finishes utilizing the clear plastic of the lure body, in 1933, much as some companies use "ghost" finishes today.
And it doesn't need to be ancient to be collectible either, as there are many "modern collectibles" made in the 70's and 1980's--Just becasue it semms as though you graduated high school yesterday...well...do the math, you'll get the picture:lol:.