elect1960

Saws

As a shop teacher, I will have to disagree with you. Scroll saws are much more controllable in finer radius cuts, they allow you to back up within a cut without damaging a blade. The kerf on the standard blade for a scroll saw is also half of the standard bandsaw blade. And... dont even get me started on the cost of replacement blades. The only instance where I would chose a band over a scroll is when cutting in stock over 3/4" or with hardwoods. I would choose a medium to high quality scroll saw over any band saw that I have ever used for the majority of lure type stock. BTW.. they do a great job on Lexan lips as well.

If I had to make a choice I would definitely choose the bandsaw over a scrollsaw. To each his own I guess. I have both and hardly ever use the scroll saw. Both saws are craftsman. I actually prefer a 1" x 42" belt sander/grinder to rough out most of my baits unless I turn them on a lathe. I even use the belt grinder/sander to make some of my lips. A bandsaw in my opinion can be used much longer than a scroll saw blade and if you really compare costs, bandsaw blades can be sharpened several times before they are shot. I have a sharpening shop so don't tell me they can't be sharpened. This is just a matter of what you are used to. Good luck in making your choice. They all work. Its a preference thing. Ken Schmitz Mylures

I have used both scroll saws and band saw for many years not only for making fishing lures, but also for cutting out very small carvings such as duck pins and fish that are only 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch in size. Both type saws work well for the task, especially if you choose the right blade for the job at hand. With a 1/8 in. band saw blade, you can do just about anything you could do with a scroll saw. The scroll saw is best for detail work and soft woods. If I were able to have only one type saw to use, it would be the band saw. My band saw is an old Sears model on its own base, but I have seen recent sales catalogs from Sears with bench top band saws for $99.00. My scroll saws are Delta and ryobi. Both are fine sawsand those sell for about the same as the bench top band saw. Joe

All good points thus far. Like was said earlier, it's a personal choice, but for me (making muskie baits) a band saw is definitely the way to go.

Look at what you're making now, what you thinking of making soon, and what you might make in the future should your fishing habits change. I started by making small spinners and salmon lures and then I started fishing for muskie - have you seen the price of those baits???

Do your research and buy what suits your needs. BTW my bandsaw is from a Canadian store and the brand name wouldn't help you, but buying the best you can afford usually means you won't wish you spent the extra $ when the cheap one breaks.

Cheers,

o2l

I also own both. I have a Delta single speed scroll saw and a Jet band saw. I use the band saw almost exclusively. I agree with Joe. If you use an 1/8th-inch blade on the band saw, you can cut out almost anything. Do yourself a favor though; if you buy a band saw make sure that you buy one that takes a standard size blade. In the 12 to 14-inch saw range you will find that 80, 82, and 93 are good standard sizes. If you buy a scroll saw, buy a variable speed and one that takes plain end blades as opposed to pinned end blades. You will have a larger variety of plain end blades to choose from.

Gene

I would have to agree with everyone. I have both and use them exclusively. I use the scroll saw for extreme delicate work and the band saw for everything else. I agree with Hoosierdaddy, you have better control with the scroll saw, but the more you use a tool, the more confidence, the better the product. If you can afford them, I would get both. Good luck. :D