hawnjigs

Best Lead Melt Flux?

107 posts in this topic

it will look like a slug or slurry on top, different than dross. If you pour from a ladle it is still like the slurry. Hard to get it out of the lead.

That makes sense zinc melts at 784F lead at 620F. The Zinc wouldn't be hot enough to become liquid and would make the batch thicker.

I saw a lead batch after someone left an aluminum dross tool fall in. It must have been in for 24 hours and was mixed with the lead. The lead resembled a thick cake frosting.

If Zinc got in my lead I would raise temp and mold sinkers until it was all gone.

Edited by fshng2

No problem, hope it helps.

Yep def easier/cheaper to get graphite at Home Depot.

Yes, but it depends on the jig.

Wheel weights are not good for small jigs or those with intricate parts but for my bigger saltwater stuff it isn't a problem.

You do have to sort them first tossing the steel and zinc ones. Then clean out tons of dross and clips after it is melted.

I have a big pot just for melting scrap. I also have a magnet on the end of a bent piece of all thread for removing the clips from the pot.Once fluxed and cleaned they are ingotized.

Only clean fluxed ingots go into my shop to be made into jigs and sinkers.

They are also good for bigger sinkers.

Iv'e used a few hundred pounds of wheel weights over the years. Anymore I only use them if they are free.

Around here wheel weights are hard to come by as so many people make saltwater sinkers out of them.

Thanks for the info regarding wheel weights. One of the local shops here said I could have as much as I want for free.

I will be molding 3/4 to 3 oz bucktail jigs.

Current soft lead inventory is about 150# which I can mix. I have read others use as much as a 25% pure lead to 75% W/W mix. What are your thoughts about mix ratio?

Thanks for the info regarding wheel weights. One of the local shops here said I could have as much as I want for free.

I will be molding 3/4 to 3 oz bucktail jigs.

Current soft lead inventory is about 150# which I can mix. I have read others use as much as a 25% pure lead to 75% W/W mix. What are your thoughts about mix ratio?

For the biger stuff like that the ww by themselves should be fine. I never mix my alloys for jig casting. Never found the need.

Just use what I have for my saltwater stuff.

I buy Drop Out mold release by Frankford arsenault. Love the stuff. Tried the Home depot stuff and was not impressed.

The drop out sprays thinner and solidifies faster. The other stuff left thicker lines of graphite in spots in the mold as it takes a bit longer to solidfy and comes out much faster.

I ordered enough drop out to last me quite awhile. For the most part the graphite stays on the mold surface and lasts many many pours. No need to clean the jigs afterwards. Clip the sprues file them smooth and powder paint.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn