#81 dlaery

dlaery

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

http://www.brownells...ail.aspx?p=1132

That marvelux flux stuff is on sale right now for around 5 bucks for a half pound!

Have you used this?
It sounds too good to be true :?
I called the tech dept and was a long wait. I may call back, but I like the Non-Smoking Non-Fuming Odorless part.
  • Lilianuot likes this

#82 Paxamus

Paxamus

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Havent tried it yet, but saw that someone had posted about it on the first page so I followed the link and thought for five bucks I can give it a shot. I will let you know what I find out.

#83 tholmes

tholmes

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hey guys! I just read through this thread, man what a lot of great info!

I've been pouring lead (bullets, sinkers and jigs) for many years. I've been very pleased with a couple of products from Frankford Arsenal. Drop-out mold release and CleanCast fluxing compound.

The Drop Out is invaluable as a mold release. Just spray it on and, most of the time, jigs will fall right out of the mold. An application will last for quite a while.

The CleanCast is hands-down the best fluxing agent I've ever used. In my experience, it works better than paraffin, beeswax or anything else I've used..

It's available from Midway USA. http://www.midwayusa...imensionid=5671

Tom

#84 Paxamus

Paxamus

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Have you used this?
It sounds too good to be true :?
I called the tech dept and was a long wait. I may call back, but I like the Non-Smoking Non-Fuming Odorless part.

Just fluxed some this morning in the garage and there was almost no smoke and I couldnt detect any odor, so I like it so far

#85 dlaery

dlaery

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Thanks, that's good to know. :yeah:
I still have a lot of the smoky smelly stuff to use up first. :boo:

#86 andy1976

andy1976

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

I pour a hundred pounds a day. I started using vegetable oil. Smoke doesn't bother me as I pour the oil in while the lead is heating. It catches fire when its up to temp or I light it with a fire place lighter. Cleans the lead really nice and is free or cheap.

#87 M Pain

M Pain

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

I have been using Buck Beavers Lead & Bismuth casting flux and it has done very well so far and it goes a long way and makes lead look like silver!

#88 wilhoite333

wilhoite333

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

I just wanted to thank all the contributers on this thread and forum.  After pouring my own jigs for a couple years and dealing with low flow on my bottom pour pot, I read this thread.  I cleaned out my pot, fluxed with beeswax multiple times, and did my first pour tonight.

It is amazing how much better the jighead looks and how much better the lead flowed.  Thanks everyone!  Especially Sagacious and Cadman!  Keep the great tips coming.

#89 fshng2

fshng2

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

Great post.
Always heard to use pure lead to mold jigs.
Can wheel weights be used to make flawless jigs if fluxed?

#90 LimpNoodle

LimpNoodle

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:15 PM

No.

Wheel weights are hard lead and many of them are Zinc.  It's not worth messing with them at all.

#91 Kasilofchrisn

Kasilofchrisn

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:58 PM

Great post.
Always heard to use pure lead to mold jigs.
Can wheel weights be used to make flawless jigs if fluxed?

Yes, but it depends on the jig.

Wheel weights are not good for small jigs or those with intricate parts but for my bigger saltwater stuff it isn't a problem.

You do have to sort them first tossing the steel and zinc ones. Then clean out tons of dross and clips after it is melted.

I have a big pot just for melting scrap. I also have a magnet on the end of a bent piece of all thread for removing the clips from the pot.Once fluxed and cleaned they are ingotized.

Only clean fluxed ingots go into my shop to be made into jigs and sinkers.

They are also good for bigger sinkers.

Iv'e used a few hundred pounds of wheel weights over the years. Anymore I only use them if they are free.

Around here wheel weights are hard to come by as so many people make saltwater sinkers out of them.

• Yo Al likes this

#92 andy1976

andy1976

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

I completely disagree with wheel weights being usesless. As long as you pour blanks till your mold is hot and use a graphite mold release they are awesome. I will take wheel weights first given a choice.
  • Kasilofchrisn and Yo Al like this

#93 fshng2

fshng2

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

I completely disagree with wheel weights being usesless. As long as you pour blanks till your mold is hot and use a graphite mold release they are awesome. I will take wheel weights first given a choice.

Andy,do you mix any soft lead with WW's?
Where do you buy graphite mold release?
Will the graphite need removed before powder coat painting?

#94 goodtimesfishing

goodtimesfishing

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:36 PM

Decided to give the cleancast fluxing compound(same brand as the drop out releasing agent) a try and now I will never go back!!! For those that have not tried it, it only calls for 1/8 of a teaspoon for 5-10 pounds of lead. No smoke no smell and no fire. I pour in my garage and hated the massive amount of smoke caused by fluxing with wax. This caused me to not flux as often as I should. I have had about 6-7 pour sessions since I started using cleancast and all I can say is WOW what a difference. The only reason I had not tried it before is I got the impression it was not any better the using free wax. It is not the same. The other thing was the cost, didn't want to add an unneeded expense. Now I have not done the math but I am thinking at 1/8 teaspoon per 10 pounds you should be able to flux thousands of pounds with just one container(comes in 1 pound container). The only complaint I have found was that it gummed up a pot but I am pretty sure that was caused by not reading directions and putting way too much in the pot. 1/8 teaspoon is very little, don't over do it.

It shocks me that I don't see more reviews on here about the stuff. I think anyone who tries it will never go back to other fluxing methods.

#95 andy1976

andy1976

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:51 PM

[quote name="fshng2" post="238798" timestamp="1433618535"]

Will the graphite need removed before powder coat painting?[/q

I formulate my lead based on what I'm making. Jig heads i like soft so the piwder coat dents and doesnt chip. Wheel weights work great by themselves though. So long as you don't melt zinc into them.

I've never bought the commercial mold release I just get the graphite dry lube at home depot. Its called blaster graphite dry lube. Ive found it better to apply it to a clean hot mold. Others prefer another more specific brand. Mine is in the door handle section at home depot.

#96 andy1976

andy1976

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:53 PM

Call me crazy but I flux outside with vegetable oil. Sometimes I add a little gas to make it burn hotter. Used vegetable oil.

#97 fshng2

fshng2

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

[quote name="andy1976" post="238804" timestamp="1433627462"][quote name="fshng2" post="238798" timestamp="1433618535"]
Will the graphite need removed before powder coat painting?[/q

I formulate my lead based on what I'm making. Jig heads i like soft so the piwder coat dents and doesnt chip. Wheel weights work great by themselves though. So long as you don't melt zinc into them.

I've never bought the commercial mold release I just get the graphite dry lube at home depot. Its called blaster graphite dry lube. Ive found it better to apply it to a clean hot mold. Others prefer another more specific brand. Mine is in the door handle section at home depot.[/quote]

WI'll even a small amount of Zinc ruin the batch? What happens?

#98 dlaery

dlaery

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:16 PM

it will look like a slug or slurry on top, different than dross. If you pour from a ladle it is still like the slurry. Hard to get it out of the lead. 

#99 andy1976

andy1976

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:19 PM

Zinc usually purple, orange, or gold in color when its in the lead.

Edited by andy1976, 06 June 2015 - 06:21 PM.

#100 andy1976

andy1976

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:21 PM

http://hardwareonlin...fRi4aAuTn8P8HAQ