#81 dlaery

dlaery

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

http://www.brownells...ail.aspx?p=1132

That marvelux flux stuff is on sale right now for around 5 bucks for a half pound!

Have you used this?
It sounds too good to be true :?
I called the tech dept and was a long wait. I may call back, but I like the Non-Smoking Non-Fuming Odorless part.
  • Lilianuot likes this

#82 Paxamus

Paxamus

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Havent tried it yet, but saw that someone had posted about it on the first page so I followed the link and thought for five bucks I can give it a shot. I will let you know what I find out.

#83 tholmes

tholmes

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hey guys! I just read through this thread, man what a lot of great info!

I've been pouring lead (bullets, sinkers and jigs) for many years. I've been very pleased with a couple of products from Frankford Arsenal. Drop-out mold release and CleanCast fluxing compound.

The Drop Out is invaluable as a mold release. Just spray it on and, most of the time, jigs will fall right out of the mold. An application will last for quite a while.

The CleanCast is hands-down the best fluxing agent I've ever used. In my experience, it works better than paraffin, beeswax or anything else I've used..

It's available from Midway USA. http://www.midwayusa...imensionid=5671

Tom

#84 Paxamus

Paxamus

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Have you used this?
It sounds too good to be true :?
I called the tech dept and was a long wait. I may call back, but I like the Non-Smoking Non-Fuming Odorless part.

Just fluxed some this morning in the garage and there was almost no smoke and I couldnt detect any odor, so I like it so far

#85 dlaery

dlaery

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Thanks, that's good to know. :yeah:
I still have a lot of the smoky smelly stuff to use up first. :boo:

#86 andy1976

andy1976

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

I pour a hundred pounds a day. I started using vegetable oil. Smoke doesn't bother me as I pour the oil in while the lead is heating. It catches fire when its up to temp or I light it with a fire place lighter. Cleans the lead really nice and is free or cheap.

#87 M Pain

M Pain

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

I have been using Buck Beavers Lead & Bismuth casting flux and it has done very well so far and it goes a long way and makes lead look like silver!

#88 wilhoite333

wilhoite333

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

I just wanted to thank all the contributers on this thread and forum.  After pouring my own jigs for a couple years and dealing with low flow on my bottom pour pot, I read this thread.  I cleaned out my pot, fluxed with beeswax multiple times, and did my first pour tonight.

It is amazing how much better the jighead looks and how much better the lead flowed.  Thanks everyone!  Especially Sagacious and Cadman!  Keep the great tips coming.