InstantHits

Fishing skirts website materials

I've never made any wire lures, so forgive me for intruding. But those baits with a spinner on one side and the skirted hook on the other, would'nt you have to 'tune' the skirt to get a balance? So in this case, you could not say for sure, as it would depend on the offset distances.

It all depends on your imagination. Like Heavycover, I use 2 on buzzbaits and spinnerbaits and 3 on jigs. But I may use 2 of one color and .5 of two or three other colors or just a few strands of one color. It also depends on your customers preference. I have customers who want a bulkier skirt and some that want a thinner skirt.

I recently learned that the strand count isn't the only thing that figures into it; how long the strands are, if they're thick or thin, etc., I was a little surprised to learn that wider strands are similar to air foils and the wider they are the more movement they have at slower retrieve speeds. I would highly recommend that you talk with Charles at FishingSkirts.com and get a "custom fit" for your skirt requirements.

Personally there is no "golden rule" as to what it takes to make a full skirt. Spike raises a great point with strand size. The thick strand sizes work great on slow rolled baits and a mize of thicker strand and thin strand on your jigs. "Tuning" a skirt is not essential to the bait's performance due to it being a reaction bait. The "tuning" needs to take place in the blade(s) size vs head weight to prevent tilting or roll-over. Too big of blade(s) on too light a head will cause the bait to spiral when retrieved.

Getting back to the skirt...sorry got a bit side tracked...The number of strands or tabs you will use is based on your personal preference and the color combos you use. With the clear/opaque colors I personally use more to provide the visual appeal. Darker colors you can get away with less. If your skirts are too long they will collapse when retrieved and present with being thinner/smaller and this problem compounds when using the thinner strands.

In short, buy a variety or different skirting material and experiment. The material is relatively cheap and if a skirt combo doesnt work you can take it apart and reuse them in a new skirt.

Site to check out for different skirts: Rod Building, Lure Making Supplies, Fishing Hooks, Fly Tying Supplies Welcome to Stamina Quality Components On-Line Store www.livingrubbercompany.com FishingSkirts.com, Better Product Better Price and Z-Man Fishing

"Tuning" a skirt is not essential to the bait's performance due to it being a reaction bait. The "tuning" needs to take place in the blade(s) size vs head weight to prevent tilting or roll-over. Too big of blade(s) on too light a head will cause the bait to spiral when retrieved.

I don't think we're talking the same type of lures - I can speak ONLY about my observations in the area of In-Line Spinner design and construction. Those R bend spinners do have balance issues if the components are not correctly balanced. It's all apples and oranges to some extent; but both fruits are round and grow on trees - Go figure.