Coley

Poll votes

The message that I extracted from the replies, is passion for TU. I suspect many of the 'no' votes were out of fear of losing TU altogether, rather than a flat refusal to pay. Those of you on tight budgets, I totally understand your concerns. I was in that position less than two years ago, not for the first time either.

Jerry, I feel for you. What a predicament. I guess the poll didn't help much.

If you think about it, that was a pretty intense poll with a lot of great thoughts laid on the table. I am pretty sure I read all the replies to it, and even now am still quite a bit disturbed over the results. I operate a tackle business, but do not come here to 'pick up business', never intended my presence for that although it has resulted in several new customers. This place is my therapy and my classroom all rolled into one.

Of the 60 replies I did notice that most were the members that I would call 'leaders' here, but surprisingly to me, there were quite a few 'newbies' that posted and I praise them for that.

I share the pain that Jerry must be going through. When the dam springs a leak, there are only so many fingers available to plug the holes. Growing pains are hell and only the survivors are left standing in the end. I believe Jerry will be standing in the end. The end is not near, just a bump in the road.

I too am very surprised that more active members didn't express their concern one way or the other. I know some are on vacation and some may have read this too late and I understand that. What really p:bull:s me off is that, when there is a company or person to be bashed, many jump on the band wagon to express their feelings, for totally no reason. But when we all as a family are here to save or possibly lose this site we plainly don't give a :censored:. Sorry for this post guys, I just had to air my feelings. Jerry, all I have to say is that I hope TU is around for a long time. Just my :twocents: worth.

I was in the software development game for almost 7 years and I know it isn't cheap to establish and maintain a modern site like TU and Jerry is very resourceful in keeping the site up and running. I enjoyed meeting Jerry at the TU meet and some of the vision he has for this site are truly great. I also know that Jerry and Missi have a family, and while Jerry has never said it and might even get P/O'd for my posting this, I'd hate to think funding TU is taking away from their family in way, shape, or form.

Tackleunderground is my second family... and just as in my first family, there are some I don't agree with and others I won't speak to, but I love them all because they are FAMILY. I really don't think it is right to let one person shoulder the load alone.

What are we going to do to support OUR site?

Edited by Spike-A-Pike

Possible solution or a means to mitigate some of the operating expense without too much disruption in the layout. The modules residing on the left and right of the center are somewhat redundant in somuch as the same info is elsewhere on the page. Perhaps some of these could be replaced with revenue generating ads.

I try to be an active member but have been really busy lately, I apologize for not taking part in the poll. I try to look at least once a week at all posts, and answer the ones I can, But I love this site, and will do whatever is needed to keep it up and running.

Again sorry for not being around when needed. Is it possible to e-mail the poll to all members with an email account?

Tim

I didn't get a chance to vote because I am an over the road truck driver, and sometimes don't have internet access for a week at a time, or more, sometimes til i get home. But whenever I do, you can be sure that I check this website thoroughly, even if I don't post a lot, because I feel that I've still got more to learn than to give at this point. Fee or no fee, this site has my full support, cuz it's a great place for the best info and some creative minds and senses of humor. Thanks to all who make it great!

Alex

I didn't vote on the poll as i was trying to decide which way to go. After a great amount of studying others opinions both pro and con i would have no problem spending the small amount

of fees each year and in return getting an amazing amount of valuable info. Great job and great site. Please do what ever you have to-to keep this site operating. Behind you all the way.

I know I am still a newbie and all,and don't have much to give. However If I can help someone I alway's do my best. This site and pouring plastic's is so addicting to me it's crazy. I am on this site at least 2-3 time's a day reading and learning all I can. That is a lot considering I work 12 HR. shifts 5 day's a week. Don't mean to ramble on I guess I am trying to say I will do whatever I can to help keep it going. JEFF..................

I missed the poll last week and havent been around for a while but i still look around and when time permits,ill throw my 2 cents in.

As i p.m.ed Jerry yesterday,if he wants to charge a very small fee and throw in extras like YOUR OWN webpage,ill cut him a check and pay for a whole year up front.

If its a case of money.........

I pay $4.20 for a gallon of gas,$5.00 for a pack of smokes,and $116.00 a month for a train pass.

I beleive one of the ideas was $5.99 a month.That is a hell of a bargain for all of the knowledge and entertainment this site provides.

I have received more tips,free baits and even some sample powder paint(thanks Cadman)from the guys and gals here so to throw a few bucks to IMPROVE and MAINTAIN the site,im for it.

As far as those who troll here and only post when its negative,i guess youll thin the heard.

Brian

What do you think it will be like if they start charging $60 for a membership ..........

Maybe $60 isn't the magic number, maybe it will be less I don't know. We will probably lose some members, and maybe we won't get a lot of newcomers I don't know that either. Putting all my anger aside, actually I'm a pretty decent person. I understand the dilemma here. Is $60 a lot of money maybe yes and maybe no. For some it may be too extreme. For some it's a spit in the bucket. I will actually pay it, as I am so into this, that at this point if I didn't have the money, I would try to save it some other way. When you think about it, it's $5 a month. Some of you guys may have cable and all the sport channels, pay per view and some may go to the bar for a few. It all costs $$ so why not sacrifice somewhere else to pay for this hobby or habit. BTW where else can you get a bad habit and not die from it. My question to all of you is this. What if Jerry said " you know what this just isn't worth it, let's just call it quits". What will you (we) do then??????????

Maybe $60 isn't the magic number, maybe it will be less I don't know. We will probably lose some members, and maybe we won't get a lot of newcomers I don't know that either. Putting all my anger aside, actually I'm a pretty decent person. I understand the dilemma here. Is $60 a lot of money maybe yes and maybe no. For some it may be too extreme. For some it's a spit in the bucket. I will actually pay it, as I am so into this, that at this point if I didn't have the money, I would try to save it some other way. When you think about it, it's $5 a month. Some of you guys may have cable and all the sport channels, pay per view and some may go to the bar for a few. It all costs $$ so why not sacrifice somewhere else to pay for this hobby or habit. BTW where else can you get a bad habit and not die from it. My question to all of you is this. What if Jerry said " you know what this just isn't worth it, let's just call it quits". What will you (we) do then??????????

Well ....... sorry you get mad at reality ......... the thread was started with Coley saying that it's ashame that only 76 out of 6000 voted ....... all I said was what do you think it's going to be with a $60 membership fee. Right now there are only 18 members on line ......... I pay membership fees to several sites even when I don't have to and I've bought a bunch of stuff here. And yes ...... there is good information .......but a $60 fee will kill this site ........ many many will drop out and few new people will spend the money to come aboard ........ so you'll be left with a few die hards and some professionals so there would be a lack of new ideas and fresh builders and people will go elsewhere ...........

Sorry guy but the world won't end if Jerry calls it quits ........ I'll just spend more time on other sites ............

This site is great and it works the way it is ........... don't break it by fixin' it

Jerry has been footing the bill for this site for years...I would hate too think what has come out of that mans pocket too cover this for us.When you factor in his time..It's incredible what we owe him.

Even if Jerry didn't add one thing too this site,it would be worth every penney of 5.00 a month!!I would have given anything if this site was around when I started in this art 25 years ago.Alot of people take this valuble,shared information for granted.

Jerry and his wife have tried too raise funds in others ways.We had a donation button around here for a while a few years ago..Only a few people donated anything.His wife made some beautiful has and shirts and told everyone that the proceeds would go too run the site..I think she had 6 customers..Now people want him too open a TU store,and cover the costs that way..You are looking at a large out put of cash AGAIN on Jerry's part for something that might..or.. might not work.

It's time that this site is no longer a financial burden on Jerry and his wife and I look forward too what lies ahead for us all on this site...Nathan

I didn't respond to the poll because I couldn't decide what I wanted to say...I guess I could have voted, but I was torn about that, too. All I will say is that if Jerry wants to go that way, he has every right to and I hope he is very successful with it, but at this time I don't think I would pay the fee. I am on a tight budget and TU, unfortunately wouldn't be high on the list on that budget. But, I don't think I would be a huge loss to the community, so I guess that doesn't really matter.

I think some cool things could come happen with the site the way Jerry describes taking it, and I completely understand why he would have to charge to do it. I just wonder how well you will be able to attract new members who didn't get to see everything the site has to offer before the switch? I know from being here the massive amount of knowledge and expertise available; how will someone who has never been here know, and how will you prove to them that it is worth $60 a year, or whatever it is? I know its worth that (just not in the cards for me at the time), but how will you show them?

On the other hand, I don't think TU has reached the end of its usefulness and/or innovativeness under the current format. I think there is alot more to be shared, and some of that may be lost if the format is changed.

Well ....... sorry you get mad at reality ......... the thread was started with Coley saying that it's ashame that only 76 out of 6000 voted ....... all I said was what do you think it's going to be with a $60 membership fee. Right now there are only 18 members on line ......... I pay membership fees to several sites even when I don't have to and I've bought a bunch of stuff here. And yes ...... there is good information .......but a $60 fee will kill this site ........ many many will drop out and few new people will spend the money to come aboard ........ so you'll be left with a few die hards and some professionals so there would be a lack of new ideas and fresh builders and people will go elsewhere ...........

Sorry guy but the world won't end if Jerry calls it quits ........ I'll just spend more time on other sites ............

This site is great and it works the way it is ........... don't break it by fixin' it

The world might not end if Jerry dumps the site but there will be a void.

Next idea... (check my first idea, and please see that I am looking for a solution to save the site)

Who is the owner of the information contained on this site? I guess it belongs to Jerry.

Is this the best resource for information on lure building that has ever been compiled? Yes.

Where did all this information come from? All the members of this great site.

With out the generosity of the members and their willingness to share what they have spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours learning this site could not be possible. With out the generosity and vision of Jerry this site could not be possible.

Back to my idea...

Could Jerry get a book deal and have an editor to compile the best of the best information available on this site. A book like this would be the Custom Lure Builders Bible. There are enough people in this hobby and enough people getting into this hobby that a book like this could be a big seller. Not on the best sellers list but a great seller. I don't know if a publishing company would be willing to front the money but if they would, it could work.

I hope members don't view my ideas as me being a cheap ass and not wanting to fund the site. My ideas are my attempt to save the site. I feel that a monthly/yearly due will bring this site to an end as fast as the 2006 crash. Who wants to come to a site every day, or check in 3 or 4 times a day when there is no new post to see. we all know how boring it is around here on the weekends. There will be 12 hour clips where nobody post a thing in the hardbaits. Imagine how fun it would be if every day was like that and all we had left was the same guys getting to the point that we post "good morning" just to have a new post. That is not my idea of fun.

Back to the book. I like books. They are a constant and you have a reference that doesn't change. You know what page the information is on and that page gets a little worn. Books like this have been attempted but no one have ever be able to perfect it. Every bit of information needed to perfect this is right here. The site changes and valuable tips and ideas get lost in the thousands of pages, and everyday the page the information is on goes deeper in to the abyss.

Jerry,

Would a Business ideas to save the site thread be valuable to you. Could a thread like this be private and only open to members that ask to be involved?

Long Live TU

I'm not surprised there were only a few votes and comments during the poll. Like others, I suspect, I just stumbled on the poll the last day it was active. I usually surf straight to the Hardbait Forum and seldom check other parts of TU except to peruse the Gallery occasionally. So I wouldn't conclude that low response numbers is a sign of low interest in the lure making community. As far as I am aware, this is the largest and certainly the best luremaking site on the internet. As is obvious in the forums, there are plenty of guys who use the site quite heavily. Inlcuding me! :)

Guys,

6$ per month - it's nothing. It's just ridiculous to have all this discussions. Pay or not. It's just 6$ per month. Less then a pack of cigarettes, 1/30 of my cable/internet bill.

It's funny. Many of us pay hundred's dollars for guide service, fishing seminars, books and DVD

I'd love to see Jerry's plans work, exactly as he has outlined them.

However, I'm not convinced that enough people will pay a pro-rate monthly fee, or a $60 yearly fee. It really doesn't matter that you, I, or some other folks are willing to pay $60/year. It really doesn't matter how passionate you, I, or some other folks are about the planned expansion of TU. What matters is that a sufficient and continuing number of home-made tackle enthusiasts are willing to support the site maintenance costs and upgrades, and Jerry, so that he can quit his other passion and focus solely on TU.

I could stand up on a podium and say how terribly dissapointed I am in the insouciance displayed by a percentage of the membership, but that achieves nothing other than a certain short-lived and narcissistic self-satisfaction. That X number of members voted, or that X number of members volunteered to pay $X for site maintenance is a reflection of basic human nature. It's not a failing of society. It's not a failing of certain individuals. There are ways to appeal to basic human nature (humans are inherently helpful) that would offset or exceed site maintenance costs, but I don't believe that the strategy presented addresses those considerations.

I have forwarded a few suggestions to admin that have proved successful on the two other fishing sites where I am a mod, so I've seen that there is a strategy that works-- and that doesn't involve membership dues.

I would like to see TU progress as Jerry would like, and in a manner that reduces the stress and workload he must shoulder, in order that we all enjoy the benefits of his labor as we have. Whatever happens, I hope it works out for the best for Jerry, and for those others who put their heart, soul, and wallets into TU.

Best regards,

Eric