rotorhead

clear coating materials

Help! I am one of the new guys that is new to lure building and have tried several types of clear coat. I tried Dick Nite Clear and really liked it however is there anyway to extend the life of the coating once you open the container. Seems like it tried to solidify shortly after I opened the container. I made the bad habit of following the directions for the first time but had no luck. The coating completely dried up after several weeks. It is really refreshing to log on to TU and get helpful info rather than snide remarks. Help:(

Rotorhead

There has been a ton of information on this subject, so you may want to some searches in the Hardbait forum on top coats. One piece in our How To forum is titled Trying to Achieve a Flawless Finish by fatfingers. Take a look at the scope and caliber of his work and I think you'll see why I'm pointing you in that direction. More members will have some additional advise on their processes. Good luck.

I like Dick Nite poly very much but keeping it in the can it comes in almost guarantees it will go bad, IMO. I decant a quart of poly into several jars with screw tops and I cover the jar tops tightly with tin foil to guarantee no air gets in or vapor escapes. I dip lures in the jar and draw them out slowly but never let the poly drip back into the jar. Hold it over a newspaper instead, then when the drips slow down somewhat (usually 10-12 drops on a bass bait), clip it onto a drying wheel. My quart of poly has been doing just fine for 9-10 months now with no sign of curing in the jar. Salsa jars with fluted necks are my favorite containers since they have good lids, are tall enough, and their constricted neck is just big enough to fit a bass crankbait through. When I screw on the lid, it pops up to indicate an air tight seal is in effect.