northbassman

Making my own lips...

Guest Anonymous

northbass:

I get my lexan from HOME DEPOT. $1.89 ea.

I use a bandsaw with a fine tooth and a belt/disk sander for taking them to shape. I finally ues a fine hasp and 1200 grit paper to polish. A two minute exercise.

Chip :D

Chip , I have been following your tutorials and really enjoy them. Keep up the good work. I remember in a post some time back you explained how you cut the slot for your bills. Would it be possible to show how this is done in your tutorial? I think I understand how its done, but to see the pics would be great. Thanks, Joe

Use a fine tooth saw to cut the lexan with. I use blades that are designed to cut PVC pipe. I get them at Lowes. They are not wide and will turn much easier while cutting. I also use these blades to cut out my baits. Wider and coaser blades will break much easier and quicker. Leave the paper or plastic coating on the lexan as you cut it. It keeps the lexan from melting behind the blade and will give you a much cleaner cut and edge. Use a bastard file to smoothe the edges if you need to.

Skeeter

Hi Guys, In one of the post sometime back, it was said that some types of plastic was not good for lips. I beleive the problem was cracking in cold weather. A friend gave me several peices of a product called OPTIX, by Plaskolite the sticker says acrylic sheet. Does anyone know if this product would work for lips or is Lexan the only material durable enough to use? Thanks, Joe

So, how do you guys suggest cutting straight lines, or following the curves of the lip perfectly? If I am cutting a coffin type lip, is there any way I can use the angles to help get a perfect lip? Also, what would you use to groove the underside of the lip to accomodate the wire? I have two finished crankbait bodies, but no lips! please help me! thanks! :lol:

Use .060 polycarbonate (Lexan) to make your lips. It is about 1/16 inch thick. You don't need to cut a slot in the lip for the wire. Take a look at the flat crankbaits that I have done in the gallery. This is the best way to do it. As far as cutting.... Leave the paper on the lexan and then trace out your lip. Cut the lip out and then peel off the paper. Patience and practice will teach you how to cut straight and to do curves. Dress up the edges with a fine bastard file. Remember that many of the real good bait makers on this site take their time when making their baits. It is their skill and patience that make these works of art that we all want to duplicate. Their skill has been developed through alot of trial and error. It is work and a trial in patience. But if you love it, you will do just fine.

Skeeter