hazmail

Polyurathane wood glue

While building some shelves in the shed, a mate pulled out some of this glue, I had never heard of it (eyes wide shut), it seems pretty impressive, is anyone using it to join through wire halves etc - Supposed to be "water resistant" what do you think? pete

Hi Hazmail.

I've been using polyurethane glue for lure halves for about 8 years. In that time, I've probably made 4-5 thousand blanks and never had a glue failure. (at least none have ever been reported back to me.)

I've tried Excel, Gorilla and Elmer's Ultimate, and they seem to work equally well, although I believe the Excel dried a bit harder. I'm using Elmer's now, because it's a bit cheaper and easier for me to get.

The stuff is easy to use, simply dampen the wood halves, clamp for a few hours and you are good to go. I would suggest wearing gloves though, the stuff stains the skin. (if you don't mind the "what the happened to your hands?" comments, you can forgo the gloves) :)

Hope this helps

Count Draculure

I used to build fishing nets (steam bend) and I tested gorilla and titebond III. They both held but if you left the net done with gorilla glue in the direct sun the glue would soften enough that I can slide the wood a hair. (Going back 4 years) Titebond III did not have the same effects.

Fish Devil,

I'm assuming that the nets were cleared but not painted. If that's the case, it makes me wonder about the polyurethanes UV stability. I never thought about that because my glue joints are buried in sealer, paint and Etex.

I also tried the Titebond III, and even went so far as to soak an unsealed glued block for 24 hours. The glue joint was completely intact with no signs of failure.

I would use the Titebond more than I do, but many of my blanks have a groove in them that form a through hole when the halves are glued together.The hole sometimes has to be drilled back open after gluing and the Titebond is harder to drill and sometimes will even deflect an extension bit. That isn't a problem with the urethanes.

If not for that one problem, I would probably use Titebond too. It is good stuff.

da Count