jigflipper

Devcon / Envirotex not setting up....help!!

Hi folks! I'm a new member of the TU gang and I must say I've learned alot by just sitting here and reading what all the experts are sharing. This is an AWESOME site!

I am a newbie to repainting hardbaits, but I'm really enjoying it. However, sometimes when I clearcoat them with either Devcon 2-ton or Envirotex lite, the lure stays "tacky" for a couple of days or more. I'm feel I'm probably not measuring equal amounts of resin and hardener. What's the best way to know you're mixing precisely equal amounts.

Thanks in advance!

Jigflipper

Hi JF,

If you are using the Devcon in the plunger type of container it's pretty hard to go wrong the amounts. I watch the amounts come out tho so as to make sure the mixture is at least closet to a 1:1 ratio. The Devcon will take about 4 hours to set up to hard tack free surface, sometimes longer. Make sure you get the stuff mixed up well, don't mix fast or you will entrain bubbles, just take your time and make sure you include the stuff on the edges. Can't help ya with the Enviro, have fun.

Jed

Jigflipper,

I only use Devcon 2-ton so I can't speak for the Envirotex. Devcon comes in a double barrel syringe. I stand the syringe upright so that the resin and hardener are in the bottom of the syringe and then push all of the air out before turning the syringe upside down to squirt out the epoxy. This should give you equal amounts of both parts. I would say that if your epoxy is setting up slow, then you may not be mixing it enough or maybe you are trying to cure it in a cold place outside.

Gene

Tackiness is caused from not mixing thoroughly. The best drying temp for Devcon is 75 deg. and above. For every 5 deg. below 75 rotate 10 extra minutes. Below 65 deg. you better take it some place warmer to cure. 45 deg. and below Devcon will stay liquid for 4 hrs. or more. Stick with the Devcon and learn how to use it. It is well worth your time.

Skeeter

Based on the responses, I think I'm probably not mixing either product long enough. I have had better luck with the Devcon, and I'm sure it's because it comes in the double barrel syringe. Thanks for everyone's help, and I would like to send my best wishes to everyone on this wonderful site for a safe and happy holiday season!

I use the ET lite because I can't get the devcon where I live, but Skeeters right you're not mixing properly. I had the same problem in the beginning. Make ABSOLUTELY sure you have a 50:50 mix and stir for at least 3 minutes with the ET Lite. That tackyness doesn't ever go away. You have to strip the stuff off and hope you don't ruin your paint job.

Try a 250W infared heat lamp (about $10 at hardware stores). After it has cured for 24 hours, rotate it under a heat lamp to "post cure" the epoxy. Place it about 18" above the lure for an hour or two.

Have you ever left a freshly coated lure in your car on a hot summer day? I bet you noticed from the odor in the car that the lure coating "set off" a little more. This final curing stage is what you want to replicate.

A toaster oven on "warm" works also - but watch out for it getting too hot. Try to keep it about 120 degrees - and use a heat shield over the heating elements.

AlamOso

Should never be attempted while driving!

But seriously, let me clarify my statement. If you have a lure that you have recently finished (and allowed to cure at room temperature), and it is left in a car in the summer, perhaps you have noticed that the lure coating cured more thoroughly (evidenced by the odor). It is this phase of the curing (the baking) that is known as "post curing".

Be sure to buckle your seatbelt!

AlamOso