BIGDADDY814

Repaint Question???????

Has Anyone Painted With Chrome Before. I Have A Few Old Chug Bugs That Have Been Annialated By Bass And The Chrome Is Chipping Off. Would Like To Use These To Practice Up On Airbrushing . Where Do I Start. :? Is The Chrome Painted From A Can( Krylon) . Then Airbrush Colors And Details. Do I Sand The Bait To Get All The Old Paint Off Or Use A Thinner Or Cleaner To Take It Off. Excited To Get Started But Would Like To Know The Proper Steps. All Help Would Be Appreciated.

You may be disappointed. Most "chrome" paints aren't very reflective and don't resemble factory chrome on crankbaits. Someone on the site may be able to guide you to one that does but last I heard the paint costs in excess of $100. A viable alternative may be to foil the bait. There are various products and techniques for foiling which you can investigate via the search option. For real chrome-like foiling, I suggest looking at mylar foil - the kind they use in those emergency "Space Blankets" and in some packaging and craft projects.

I saw a program on how the mirror like chrome finish is applied to plastic. It was actually molten metal that was being sprayed and not paint. I think BobP is right about the so called chrome paints, they are at best aluminum colored. I may be wrong, but I think foil or mylar may be you best bet.

WHEN I get my shed in order, this is going to be a top priority(chrome). I have been longingly looking at, Mylar potato chip packets, biscuit packets, balloons, you name it. My Mylar lure collection was pretty well depleted after the TU meet in May, so this will be project No 1 in the next few weeks. I have a chocolate wrapper that looks good.pete

Edited by hazmail