IGOTWORMS

Loose Hooks

So i am a rookie when it comes to pouring lead. I just got a stand up shakey head mold from do it molds, Love the mold but when i pour it the hooks in the lead are loose after i pour:censored: Whats thew deal? I have one other mold from do it its the round stand up head, that mold poures fine. No loose hooks to speak of. What am I missing? Or is it a shotty mold? Thanks, any info would be appreaciated.:drool:

Make sure you don't remove the pour from the mold by the hook (especially when the lead is still hot) or jar the hook in any way until the lead is completely set. I have gotten loose hooks that way in the past. My solution is to pull the jig from the cavity by the sprue with a set of pliers and set it aside- I break the sprues off after they have completely cooled.

Big-D

I've found that Black Nickel hooks do not grab lead as well as the salt water zinc coated hooks. I'm experimenting with a large 8/0 black nickel hook and I find they do get loose if you don't let them sit and cool. Is there any additives that can be added to lead for a more firm bond ?

Plumbers flux has been mentioned before, did anyone ever try it?

Not sure exactly how it works, but you cannot solder without it. Kinda wets the surface and promotes adhesion. It could be worth a try, if all else fails.

Use it carefully (full safety precautions) the first time. I don't know what the effects would be, pouring an ounce of molten lead into a closed mold containing a fluxed hook.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman