Spike-A-Pike

Skirt making made easy

Skirt making is a simple straight forward process for adding rubber and silicon skirt materials to a wide variety of lures; but most often for in-line spinners and spinner baits. The steps are pretty easy, but explaining it isn't... To make the it simpler on all concerned (mainly me), I have illustrated the process in photos with the steps listed on each. Hope this helps.

skirtmaking1.jpg

skirtmaking2.jpg

skirtmaking3.jpg

skirtmaking4.jpg

skirtmaking5.jpg

skirtmaking6.jpg

skirtmaking7.jpg

skirtmaking8.jpg

skirtmaking9.jpg

In closing, a few valuable tips from Blades And Baits: A few things I would add..............................

• If you leave the skirt layer tabs uncut they are much easier to pull thru the tool sleeve. Then once the completed skirt is installed on the lure,cut the tabs. Makes for a nice neat skirt.
  • Remember to thread the short end of the skirt on the tool first
  • Take a cue-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol and swab some alcohol on the cone of the skirt tool, the skirt will slide on the tool cone like greased lightning. If you apply a little rubbing alcohol on the lure body the skirt will slide on the lure with the same ease and the skirt wont wad up.

Regards,

Blades

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
  • Like 1

This is a great Tutorial for skirt making 101 :yay:

A few things I would add..............................

• If you leave the skirt layer tabs uncut they are much easier to pull thru the tool sleeve. Then once the completed skirt is installed on the lure,cut the tabs. Makes for a nice neat skirt.
  • Remember to thread the short end of the skirt on the tool first
  • Take a cue-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol and swab some alcohol on the cone of the skirt tool, the skirt will slide on the tool cone like greased lightning. If you apply a little rubbing alcohol on the lure body the skirt will slide on the lure with the same ease and the skirt wont wad up.

Regards,

Blades

Great tute. You sure make it look easy, I have got to give this whirl.

If I can make a suggestion; I would go with a solid color background, some of the colorblind folks might not be able to pick out some of the foreground from the background.

FERG

I hate to admit it - but it is easy. I've got a Skirt Factory that I paid (wasted) $10.00 on that takes longer is more difficult to use.

I like the background I used... I have also posted photos to the gallery using my TU hooded sweatshirt.

I would not have thought rubbing alcohol would give any lubrication for this part of the assembly. I have been using a small swipe of vasaline to help lubricant the skirt and collar while mounting it on spinnerbaits and inline spinners..I'll have to give it a try.Thanks.