Monty

fly vise help

I use the cabalea's crown vise http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jhtml?id=0011423&navAction=jump&navCount=3&indexId=&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&cmCat=search&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fpod-link.jhtml.4_A&_DAV=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcontent%2FPod%2F01%2F14%2F23%2Fp011423ii01.jpg

I have been told there is no difference between it and a regal rotary but I can not say, never used the regal.... It has done really well by me though and costs $80 less than a regal, hope it helps, JIM

I?ve been using a vice that has got to be over 60 years old. I?ve been looking at the swivel ones and when I get a new one, it?ll be one that I can turn over. I?ve looked at the Cabelas and a few others, not sure which on I?ll get.

As far as your question LedHed, Cabelas is probably your and my best place to buy one. They show a good selection and you don?t need to spend a lot of money to get a good one. I?m looking at the Spartan vice, it?s similar to the one I use now and looks to be a well made.

The one I use now is a Herters No.4 and like I said its well over 60 years old. There are times when it?ll just loose its grip. I?ll probably put it to rest this season.

I put Herters in the search engine and came up with Cabelas.

What ever you decide. Good luck and have fun tying.

I use and sell the Regal knock offs, and you do have to watch where you get the from, some are real junk.

I have some tiers who have tied 500+ dozen flies and they just love them, espically for the price. There is one complaint though, and they same complain with the Regal's...if you try to tie VERY small hooks, size 24 or smaller, they can chip. This is beacuse you have to put the hook in the very tip of the jaws. Good part most guys don't tie that small, and the chips are very small and won't effect your other hooks when tying.

As for the range of hooks, I have a "standard" and "midge" version of the same vise. The midge goes from about a 1/0 to 22. The standard goes from about a 4/0 to 16. Those are just some guidelines I go by, and they hold the hooks very well. Whenever some one is interested in buying one I put a Mustad hook, about size 10, in it so they can see the tip of the hook, and start bending the hook until it breaks. The hook tips have yet to ever move, and I bend the hook front to back, not left to right. I have never tried it with any 1/0 or larger hooks, but your thread will break before it moves.

Hope this helps.

Little Sal

Little Sal,

Hope my comment "Knock offs are functional but you get what you pay for" didn't offend. It' not really a fair statement - when I started tying I couldn't afford even mid range priced vises. So I ended up getting a "knock off" and tied on it for years. Had to put a brass washer on where the locking cam came into contact with the vise so I wouldn't wear out the cam. I still have it and every once in awhile I shake off the dust and throw on a hook.

Good point (no pun intended) on the type of heads - Midge and Standard. My rotary is a midge and my stationary is a standard.

BTW - have a Nor-vise would like to get rid of, trade, sell ...........

Led,

No offense what so ever, I call them "inspired by Regal", but to my buddies I call them knock offs.

I have seen a lot of them out there, and know about 10 companies that will make them, but I have seen a lot of junk ones. I also sell wholesale flies, and I give them to some of my tyers to use. They love them, for how easy they are to use and adjust, one guy actually bought 5...one for work (desk drawer) one for camp, etc.

Little Sal