oscarsteel

Etex set hard in 10 minutes

So that would explain uneven yellowing. A poorly mixed batch.

On a slightly different note, I've found that, when I've not added enough hardener or mixed it well enough, and I wind up with spots that are tacky, a drop of crazy glue seems to set the resin off and it gets hard, with no tackyness. Why is that?

That would be the reason for your problem.

Because you're creating a polymer blend and getting additional hardness and a faster set from the crazy glue. The epoxy isn't reacting any better because there's nothing in the crazy glue for it to react with. The crazy glue will have little affect on yellowing and may cause chalking. If you've ever used crazy glue outdoors, you'll notice that it turns a frosty white after a while.

I have noticed that moisture makes it chalk up and flash, not curing all the way through. I use the brush on crazy glue on the boat, for lure repair, and let it dry a minute before I get it wet, and it seems to be fine.

Crazy glue is Isocyanate loaded with a tin accelerator, and it reacts with hydrogen and oxygen molecules. Mosture on the surface makes it react really fast on the surface and cure, thus sealing off the underlying material from fully reacting. Mositure makes it form larger crystals than it reacting with gas-phase molecules and gives you that chalky look. Chalking over time is from UV degredation.

Edited by Downriver Tackle

My fishing buddy says acrylic paints react with the kind of plastic used in soft, making them gooey over time.

Are you familiar with any such problems?

I do want to try that clear acrylic top coat with the UV protection over my Etex, but I use screw on plastic tails on some baits, and don't want them to melt.

It's not the acrylic, it's the solvents in it. Good auto grade acrylics are all cut with ketones and other strong solvents. You might want to give some of the exterior acrylics for wood a try, like Minwax or similar. Those are cut in mineral spirits generally and should be fine and have UV protection. Always spot check the materials in question first. Another option is waterborne acrylic or urethane.

I'll give you guys a little tip for measuring out your epoxy. Get yourself some syringes. DO NOT get them from a medical supply store...the kind with the rubber plungers. Most of these are lubricated with silicone and will cause all sorts of problems. The ones you need, you can get from Flexcoat, a rodbuilding finish company. You may be able to get them directly from flexcoat, or you can order them from Mudhole.com. Anyway, drill a hole in the cap that the syringe tip (nipple) will fit into snugly. Then, the syringe itself becomes the cap because you will never have to take the cap off again. Just turn the bottle upside down and draw out what you need. Just make sure that you don't share syringes between bottles. I promise you guys, this method is the absolute fastest and best thing since sliced bread for mixing epoxy from a bottle. You will never weigh it out or pour it out in puddles again.

Downriver, it's nice to have someone around who knows chemistry! Speaking of yellowing, I haven't seen any significant yellowing on > 100 baits topcoated with Devcon 2T. Some are more than 5 yrs old. 95% of the problems I see or hear about regarding D2T not hardening result from poor measuring or inadequate mixing - especially the latter. I mix it like crazy, until it looks milky with air bubbles, then add a FEW drops of denatured alcohol to help it release bubbles while I'm brushing it on the lure. No failures for a couple of years now.

TJ,

I think I'll try the rod building syringes.

Bob,

I've had yellowing, both with D2T and Envirotex. I wonder if it's really the paint underneath yellowing through the clear. I use Krylon spray on glitter over my paint jobs before I clear, and the can says archival safe, but it doesn't say anything about UV. I've also use pastel fixative between coats on some lures. As soon as I get some free time, I have to repaint and re coat some lures that had the D2T flake off. When I do, I may do one with glitter, and one without, and see if it makes a difference. I haven't had either yellowing or flaking on cranks I've repainted, only on wooden swimbaits. Weird.

Downriver, it's nice to have someone around who knows chemistry! Speaking of yellowing, I haven't seen any significant yellowing on > 100 baits topcoated with Devcon 2T. Some are more than 5 yrs old. 95% of the problems I see or hear about regarding D2T not hardening result from poor measuring or inadequate mixing - especially the latter. I mix it like crazy, until it looks milky with air bubbles, then add a FEW drops of denatured alcohol to help it release bubbles while I'm brushing it on the lure. No failures for a couple of years now.

That's good to hear. It must hold up for a few if so many people are using it. If you don't leave your customs out in the direct sun, yellowing takes a long time, even with Devcon, if it's mixed correctly. I used it repair a support for my boat cover and it was visibly yellow in a week or so in direct sunlight all day. After a year it was amber, cracked, and fell off.

I'm still a stickler for weighing epoxies. I made a chart with the proportions for however much I need and use yorker caps to dispense it. Takes about 60 seconds longer, but it's peace of mind having zero doubt that it was proportioned correctly and can ship lures tomorrow morning.

I'm still a stickler for weighing epoxies. I made a chart with the proportions for however much I need and use yorker caps to dispense it. Takes about 60 seconds longer, but it's peace of mind having zero doubt that it was proportioned correctly and can ship lures tomorrow morning.

What brand are you using?