maximusgunn

How to clean a LCX sonar screen?

OH Boy you may have gone tooo far all ready,,,, But try simple glass cleaner for eyeglasses NOT WINDEX but eyeglass cleaner and a cloth for cleaning eyeglasses. Some of the items you mentioned are way too harsh for the screen and will remove the anti reflective coating on the screen (which sounds like what has all ready happened). Unfourtanly if thats the case it may have to go back to Lowarnce to have the coating reapplied or the screen replaced.

micro fiber cloth and if it doesn't come of with the cloth dry just a dap of water on the cloth. You can get them for cheap at wally world. $4.99 for 8 for the cheap ones or you can buy a better one that lasts longer.

Edit:

Just notices you said oxidation. I sell this product called MAAS polish and if it doesn't work nothing will. PM me your mailing address and I will send you some to use. I'll also send a microfiber cloth. Please send the unused portion of the polish back to me and keep the micro fiber cloth. (I'm letting you barrow my tube of polish) MAAS Inc.

Are you sure its on the outside and not inside?

Edited by fish devil

Auto supply stores sell a liquid polish designed to remove oxidation from plastic headlight lenses, etc. Don't press down too hard and damage the screen. If that won't work, you may have to resort to some kind of polymer coating to fill in the oxidized layer and make it transparent again. But that is not a permanent fix. It's worthwhile to email Lowrance and ask their advice. Maybe they have a better fix. Whatever, take the sonar off the boat and store it in the house (not in the boat!) when not on the water. UV light hazes plastic screens; storage in a high humidity boat compartment that is alternately heated and cooled every day is asking for moisture to infiltrate the sonar and fogging the screen from the inside.

Thanks for all the help and advice I really appreciate it.

The boat use to be stored in a heated garage, but I ended up moving and it was stored outside I had the sonar unit cover on it and it was under a boat cover as well. The oxidation is definitely on the outside not on the inside of the unit. I only did a small area with the goo gone and windex no damage done so far I hope.

Thanks again

Fish Devil you have 2 pm's

It sounds like you may have sprayed your screen accidentally with OFF or a similar bug repellent with strong deet in it. I has it happen to me and it looks like small droplets that are almost salt like. The only way I recovered was to wash it over and over again with plain water. It took almost a month of doing it once or twice a week to get it totally clear again. I would be reluctant to use a lot of strong stuff that may cut into the lexan itself and cause a permanent problem.

The same can happen to your guages and any faux wood panels on your dash covered with lexan.

Lowrance Electronics suggests 50/50 mix of isopropal alcohol and distilled water sprayed on a cloth and then wipe the screen. I had problem with spray can of sun screen misting on the screen. This mix took that off when nothing else would. Lowrance said that sun screen and bug spray are the worst

I wipe my screens lightly every time I clean the boat up after I fish with the same product I use to clean/polish the boat.

A fellow club member makes it.

It's called Peregrine 250.

It really works for cleaning up the water spots and dirt that get on a boat during the day, and hasn't damaged either my Lowrance or Humminbird screens.

Well I just got the MAAS in the mail today from Fish Devil and that stuffed worked miracles, it took the oxidation right off. I greatly appreciate that F.D.

I will send that stuff back to you tomorrow. Thank you very much. Now that I think about it, it could have been a non-boater in the back of the boat spraying scent or sunscreen, whatever it was would not come off before but it is gone now.

By the way fish devil did you get a chance to look at my site, I would like to send you something for letting me try that stuff.

Just let me know

Thanks again to everyone for the ideas.

Well I just got the MAAS in the mail today from Fish Devil and that stuffed worked miracles, it took the oxidation right off. I greatly appreciate that F.D.

I will send that stuff back to you tomorrow. Thank you very much. Now that I think about it, it could have been a non-boater in the back of the boat spraying scent or sunscreen, whatever it was would not come off before but it is gone now.

By the way fish devil did you get a chance to look at my site, I would like to send you something for letting me try that stuff.

Just let me know

Thanks again to everyone for the ideas.

I'm happy it worked out well for you, I sell lots of that stuff.

Unfortunately I had a major seizure and just got out of the hospital so I haven't been able to look at your site.

Just pay it forward to someone else that is in need.:yay: