bahlzar

first swimbait attempt

@ bahlzar

If I understood right , you have weighted the three sections one by one(single) to render your bait to be sinking:??

Does the now assembled lure sink in an about horizontal position ?

I believe , that this is essential for a proper resemblance of a real fish :yes:.

But in terms of your well done trout finish you surely have accomplished this resemblance , truly nice looking baits :yes::yay:!

Greetz , diemai

very nice baits. i would not call those attempts :wink:

how much weight did it take to get those big baits to sink?

I used a 5/16 drill bit for the front 2 sections and the hold goes horozontal as colse to the bottom as i could go and as deep in the section as i could go........ the tail section is drilled in the eye slot with a much smaller bit as deep as i could go...

@ bahlzar

If I understood right , you have weighted the three sections one by one(single) to render your bait to be sinking:??

Does the now assembled lure sink in an about horizontal position ?

I believe , that this is essential for a proper resemblance of a real fish :yes:.

But in terms of your well done trout finish you surely have accomplished this resemblance , truly nice looking baits :yes::yay:!

Greetz , diemai

the baits do sink horozontal now, maybe not perfectly horozontal but i think once i start reelin them in they should be ok....... probly wont be able to test them until thursday..

Those are really nice looking. Good job!

I'm going to go way out on a limb, and guess these are not the first lures you've ever painted.

If they are, you're the man, a natural!

Even if they're not, they're beautiful. Trust me, if they swim, they'll catch fish.

And I really like the way you relieved the joint around the hinge eyes. It looks really clean.

Please let us know how they swim.

Edited by mark poulson

so if i understand you correctly, you drilled holes crosswise in the lure and poured melted lead in?

on the head section just below the bottom eye hook I drilled a hole towards the nose . started with a small bit but ended with a 5/16 bit...the center section is the same way, the tail section I drilled back towrd the back with a it that was 1 size smaller.....

Those are really nice looking. Good job!

I'm going to go way out on a limb, and guess these are not the first lures you've ever painted.

If they are, you're the man, a natural!

Even if they're not, they're beautiful. Trust me, if they swim, they'll catch fish.

And I really like the way you relieved the joint around the hinge eyes. It looks really clean.

Please let us know how they swim.

thanks for the kind words...about 2 weeks prior to this I was staring at a MS slammer and thought, gee these dont look to hard to make...So I bought a dowel at home depot and went for it........ The hardest part was the paint......The first wake bait i painted looked like a x-mas tree and i used a cheap polyurethane for the final clear coat......Then i made a few more and the painting gradually got better and until a friend of mine caught a little 4lbr on my wakebait and it came apart at the eyehooks, it was then i went to the devcon 2ton epoxy.....I made about 10 wakebaits and then a little bell went off in my head when i was staring at a tripletrout........now I cant seem to stop, every piece of wood i see at work I trace something on it !!!!!! prior to the wakebaits I never attempted to make a bait before.........However i do work in a wood shop making wainscoating and wood beams, so I have acess to some nice tools....

"Tracing something on every piece of wood....:)" , seems , that the bug has already badly bitten you.......:yes::lol: !

So am I , whilst all machines are running at work , I always have pencil and paper handy to sketch down some new and different ideas and designs :yes:.

Sometimes my workmates come around saying something like "ey , man , something new again ? You've gotta have enough by now , or not ?"

So I just reply , that one can never have enough lures , impossible:nuhuh::lol: !

Keep on carvin' , Dieter

well i was able to test out my baits and i was honestly amazed on how they swam..........on the very first retrieval i was happy and then i popped it real quick and it snapped around the opposite direction !!!!!!!!!!!! unbelievable........ they ran about 12 to 20 in below the surface.........only bad news is I didnt catch anything on them.........I am so excited I carved out 4 more at work today ... :lol::lol: