.dsaavedra.

putting hardware in 2-half baits

3 posts in this topic

when putting in hardware (mainly hook eyes and line ties) that requires you to cut out a groove on the inside of both halves of wood, how do you line up the grooves so you know exactly where to cut?

on my swimbait i kinda eyeballed it, and it was a P.I.T.A. to do. on future baits, i want to speed up this process so the bait is much neater inside (like it really matters :rolleyes:) and mainly so its easier to do.

my only idea would be to put in the hardware and then squeeze the halves together in a vise to make indentations as to where the hardware will lay.

any better ideas?

I generally feel the whole thru-wire process is a giant PITA and don't do it except on soft balsa. But I do have some soft balsa, so watchagonnado? As far as ballast cavities, if you're using an integrated ballast/belly hanger, I don't think it matters how you make the cavity since it shows anyway - just drill it out after gluing the bait back together. If you want to hide ballast, I fit a cavity in one side, then paint around it with a little acrylic paint and press the halves together to mark the other side. For the wire frame, I shape it on one half, outline it with a Sharpie and use a nail set to indent the balsa. Press the halves together and indent any areas that are shiny from the wire frame on the other half. If you squeeze it in a vise, it will deform the side of a soft balsa bait.

ok thanks. i thought of using wet paint to get a mirror image on the other side.

i wont be using balsa, im using basswood, so i think i will be alright squeezing it with a vise.