redg8r

Pre Registration for TU Club Memberships

Hi All,

I want to thank everyone who voiced their opinion on the subject of member funding the website.

We watched the polls closely over the 2 days it ran & the votes were never more than 3 apart from being split 50/50.

A survey was sent out a couple years ago that included the same question & the results were pretty much the same.

With that said, we will offer pre-registration to a new subscription based membership.

Subscribers will indeed retain full access to the website, along with all the new functions we can currently implement at the moment. (See those here).

Subscribers will also have access to a new, subscriber only discussion forum to request new projects & features that will ultimately benefit our users directly.

We have temporarily lowered the subscription fee to $3.99 a month for everyone, with 6 month & 1 year subscriptions discounted even further.

On top of that, we have issued personal discount coupons to our biggest contributors most active members.

Note that your personal discounted subscription fee will never increase unless you drop/cancel your subscription. That in essence, means it will be your subscription for as long as you want it.

All pre-registration coupons expire at the end of July 08.

So if you have a little faith & want on board early, take advantage soon.

We offered discounted pre-registration with our web hosting service years ago & happy to say we have clients with us over 4 years now who still pay that same pre-registration price.

For now, we will continue to keep the existing forums open & freely accessible until a decision is made to go subscription only, or create tiers/levels for our subscribers. They will ultimately make that decision.

Note: If we decide to keep a free membership, it will likely come at the sacrifice of PM, signature & email permissions. So if you intend to remain a free user, make sure to download/export your PM's soon. That feature is available in your Private Message area.

Thank you,

Jerry "redg8r"

@ redg8r

Hi , maybe I am too dump:huh: to understand all this immediately , I am just missing an option to pay the fee via PayPal and/or creditcard , only found something about offline payment so far .

Also I miss further info about the pre-registration coupons , if I understood right , there should be a coupon number somewhere to have it registered to gain the coupon benefits .

Would be glad about some more info concerning the payment procedure and my request:yes: !

greetz , diemai (Germany)

Jerry,

I too am a little confused or maybe too slow. If I am entitled to a discount coupon, where is it? Also when does the membership start and when does it end? At the end of that time period do I just send you another check, to pay for another year?..............Thanks for the explanation.

Jerry... I paid my annual Dues!!!! Do I get some kinda gift.... Coaster... Cheap Plastic Key Chain.... even a pen with TU on it.. LOL..... Not complaining just asking....When ever my insurance clients paid their bill I was so excited I gave them a can of Spam with my logo! I figured cheap food is always better than Cheap Calenders!

The Rookie

I am just missing an option to pay the fee via PayPal and/or creditcard , only found something about offline payment so far .

Also I miss further info about the pre-registration coupons , if I understood right , there should be a coupon number somewhere to have it registered to gain the coupon benefits .

Hi Diemai,

Coupon codes will display near the top of the website (on every webpage) for those who are eligible for one. We ran a complicated program to calculate each users participation, seniority, contributions etc. And awarded the coupons to those eligible.

We also lowered the proposed subscription fee for everyone currently registered.

If anyone feels they were passed over for a discount coupon, you can contact me via PM for review.

This link will take you to the subscription form. To the right of each subscription package is a dropdown form, select any package & click the corresponding "order" button to complete your subscription via PayPal.

Jerry,

I too am a little confused or maybe too slow. If I am entitled to a discount coupon, where is it? Also when does the membership start and when does it end? At the end of that time period do I just send you another check, to pay for another year?..............Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, membership periods start from the day payment is received. If using online payments, the subscription activation is immediate.

If paying via postal mail, there is a downloadable form you can mail in.

We will activate the subscription as soon as it is received.

TU will notify all postal subscribers when their subscription is nearing renewal to give everyone time to renew. Subscriptions can be viewed, renewed or canceled by visiting the same link (above) once your subscription is activated.

Online payments renew/recur automatically until canceled.

Jerry... I paid my annual Dues!!!! Do I get some kinda gift.... Coaster... Cheap Plastic Key Chain.... even a pen with TU on it.. LOL..... Not complaining just asking....When ever my insurance clients paid their bill I was so excited I gave them a can of Spam with my logo! I figured cheap food is always better than Cheap Calenders!

You havn't seen our calendars :) (inside joke)

We used to include vinyl stickers in with orders from the old TU supply shop. We will look into it, especially for those pre-registering & laying the foundation.

For the time being, all funds will be put forth to rapidly develop the most requested features to benefit the TU subscribers.

You mentioned a custom tackle mall, or personal member stores would be of interest. Projects like that will be the highest priority.

I surely welcome all requests, tangible or not. A couple of you have mentioned it & if it's important to you, it's important to us.

I do like the :spam: idea. ;)

Ok Im an idiot so hang with me here....I paid however dont see anything diff? In fact it still tells me that I am eligible for a tu membership...did I miss something?

I said i would do it so i joined.

Is there a receipt or something i get to acknowledge payment????

I dont see anything different.

I am not the most patient individual.

I am trying..........:teef::lol::):):sauced:

Ok Im an idiot so hang with me here....I paid however dont see anything diff? In fact it still tells me that I am eligible for a tu membership...did I miss something?

Hi Boomah, You paid with an e-check, PayPal requires a few days to clear. I did activate your account however.

I said i would do it so i joined.

Is there a receipt or something i get to acknowledge payment????

I dont see anything different.

I am not the most patient individual.

Hi yankee jigger, your subscription shows active, if I'm in error, please let me know.

Also,

There is a graphic link to our ticket system on the subscription page for anyone with questions regarding the subscription service.

Here is a direct link

Thank you.

I dont believe it!! You went ahead to charge people for sharing their tips. Well as I said in your poll when you warned about this. I will not be paying for membership.

Thanks for really considering what the people want.

I'll keep looking at the site till my access is suspended.

Good luck.

Edited by scottishghillie

I dont believe it!! You went ahead to charge people for sharing their tips. Well as I said in your poll when you warned about this. I will not be paying for membership.

Thanks for really considering what the people want.

I'll keep looking at the site till my access is suspended.

Good luck.

You're a guide, right? Do you charge anglers for your time, use of your equipment?

Why is it inconsiderate for us to do the same?

Contrary to what you may believe, the popularity of this site incurs an expense no different than your boat, licenses, tackle, time & effort. Drop your charter rates to Zero, then your complaint holds water.

The subscription price is currently discounted to all current TU members, no coupon code necessary. If you were generated a code, it will be included in the notice.

The future subscription fees will reflect the value of any new member benefits available at that time. After July, the cost will likely increase to $4.99 monthly.

To make it clear, once you sign up, the price never increases unless you cancel it.

If you need a payment plan for $3.99 you're buying too many molds :)

If there is such a thing as too many molds.

redg8r, yes I am a guide and of course I charge people for my time and expertise and equip hire etc.

I also run a website and it doesnt cost me anything. I also looked into running a forum, again I could that for free, using the same company that you use.

Additionally I didnt say to all my customers, hire me for no cost, then when they returned for future trips, I didnt say oh by the way it will now cost you.

I dont want this to degenerate in to a p***ing contest. You made your descision. You will live with it, I've made mine and will also live with it.

Again I wish you luck for the future.

I fear that I will no longer be able to remain on this website. Were the tips I've acquired from this site worth it... Absolutely! However, being a fisheries technician and still going to school at Purdue keeps my budget pretty tight. If aluminum prices keep going up, I might be able to collect enough cans from the dumpsters behind some frat houses to keep my membership ;)

Thanks a bunch from everyone! I've been making cranks since I was in 7th grade, and I will say that I have learned more in the past year than I did in my previous 8!

Live2Fish~Fish2Live

Aaron McAlexander

If aluminum prices keep going up, I might be able to collect enough cans from the dumpsters behind some frat houses to keep my membership ;)

With what they drink at the frat houses, you could probably put yourself through Grad School. All you need is a pair of gloves and rubber boots. Dumpster diving as we called it in the early 70's at The University of Florida! Go Gators!!:sauced:

I have to agree with Scottish on this one. One day it is free the next you have to pay to get on. Sorry but some of us live paycheck to paycheck and even this little bit cant be taken on. I understand that it costs money to keep the site up and running but isnt that why people like ghost baits and others are paying to advertise on here. To keep the site up and running. I understand, you see the oil companies doing it so your just following suit. Now I know why the Bible says "$ is the root of all evil " Cause its tearing down the TU Empire. I love the site but i cant afford to pay to come to a site that was once free. Its BS. Hope you enjoy your new found wealth. L8R

WOW! Kinda comes as a shock. People are still going to be able to troll the site but don't have to pay? I understand fees and time put into the site cost money but yikes, 7561 users times $4.99 a month! Moderators volunteer there time and sponsor pay the hosting and maint. fees I thought? I just can't see the benefit of paying money to help people that can't use the search function. With rise in gas, groceries, transportation, taxes, business expenses, etc... we just can't afford it. Well, I wish you good luck and hope this is not the shot to the foot for TU.

I guess I am a little shocked that you guys are protesting a lousy $4.99 a month. That is like the cost of one beer in most bars.....for what comes out of and gets put into this site, that is a steal......and you guys are in the business to boot.....bewildering to me?????:?

I can see both sides of the coin but I'm gonna have to be one of the ones who'll lose out too. Between Bankruptcy, a car that blew an engine and cannot be fixed and many many medical bills the $4.99 a month even the discount put it out of my reach.

Thanks to everyone who's given their knowledge and tips, it is much appreciated. For the folks I've purchased from don't worry I still have your regular emails and when I need more and can afford it I'll be back.

I'll be logging in as long as I can, but the site will be greatly missed.

Fatman (Doug Palone)