redg8r

Pre Registration for TU Club Memberships

Man, I can't believe this. I did miss the poll about paying to use TU because we've been so busy the past couple of weeks. I've really not had time to check things out. Let me try to help you out some Jerry. After seven years of hand pouring in a very small town in NC where the number one word in fishing is "secret", TU was one of the best things I've ever seen on the internet. It does so much for hobbies, businesses, and the sport of fishing. I've spent a good part of the morning reading about this whole subject. From my personal experience, it has been a privilege to use TU. I have both given and received very good information from this website and I understand exactly what you're talking about when you say that the advertisements do not pay for the site. Thank you for such reasonable advertising costs, which would definitely be unaffordable to most people anywhere else. For instance, it cost me $2000 wholesale worth of products to get an advertisement in one major magazine and then $90 per month for a very small ad in FTR. Your costs were more than reasonable. I offered a discount to TU members and you worked with us on creating the banner. You've always taken your time to answer any question that I've ever PM'd you about and that's what people aren't understanding here. Tell them the many hours you've spent putting together a great website like this and never receive anything. Anyone out there that works for an hourly wage should understand the value of an individual's time. For someone like myself with just a high school education the value of my time it what I use to support my family. Why should yours be worth any less? My wife customized our small website and I remember the many hours she spent typing in front of that screen and the trouble she has to go through to do updates, seems like you're always in this constant state in order to provide the very best website for us all. Again it's a privilege and I will be very pleased to pay to be a part of this organization. Take my money and put it in your pocket for all your time and consideration for answering a lot of questions from those people who aren't as considerate. Again, I thank you and all the moderators for your valuable time. It's kind of like when you go from hand pour to injection, nobody likes change.:lol:

Your friend,

Mike Greene

I paid for a year. I don't know how much in money and time it takes to run this site, but I am sure it is not cheap in time or money. Jerry, maybe you could give potential members a 30 day trial or something like that so they can see the value of the site, especially the ones just coming to the site. I could get by without TU, but I sure would miss all they guys. It is more than a website, it is kind of a watering hole where baitmakers meet.

Cal

I also paid, no question's asked! This site has been like a second home to me. I have made a few new friend's here, and you can't put a price on friendship.I wasn't about to lose this site for the small fee Jerry was asking. I know I am still a newbie and all, but I give when I can. That being said, I look forward to all new thing's Jerry and the member's bring to this site. Jeff...............

Great site, my baits are years ahead of what they would be without this site and for that I thank you redg8r. Im still on the fence about joining the club or not tho, and want to see how limited my access will be without a membership. If its extremely limited I still think the $5.99 monthly plan (instead of $3.99 if i register now) is more than reasonable. This site has been an invaluable reference for me and ill consider the small expense an investment, just like I do when i buy molds/colors/glitter/etc.

Thanks again

DennyB

Edited by JDBaits
added thought

Just for the record Jerry, my post had nothing to do with not being appreciative of your hard work or what knowledge we gained from the site. It is good that you decided to put your plan of action into play instead of letting TU go down the drain.

Hopefully you will still allow Non TU members to contribute and offer extended benefits to the paying TU members. I enjoy helping people out, posting tips and reading through others ideas.

Yes, we have got some orders from TU people with our web address in our signature but we also had a tackle making section on our site with videos of how to attach skirts to lures.

For the people that don't understand what it is to be strapped for cash I hope to be back in your position one day. To give up fishing every week to once a month because the good lakes are 125 miles round trip, selling two of my fuegos, canceling my bassmasters subscription, and the list goes on, I can tell you its not fun...

My last thought is; I looked at TU as the same way I would look at volunteering my time to a local forest preserve. Say you spend some time doing that, meet some really nice people then come back next year to volunteer and you have to pay. Hopefully some people will understand...

I think you'll see quite a few people signing up just before the end of the month. Right before they lose their discounted rate. How many, remains to be seen.

I would like to see links to TU members web sites on the member's list page along with the PM and e-mail links. Alot of times, after I've read the posts or when it's slow on the weekends, I'll go down the list and visit other member's sites.

I missed out on the poll because its the busy time of year for me and I am not on here as much as I would like to be. But as I have said before, anything I can do to support this site is money well spent. Where else are you going to find this kind of knowledge and information. And am I missing something or is everyone complaining for no reason? The ones who choose not to pay are not getting kicked out, just losing a couple of little features. Big deal. Dont pay if it is not worth it to you. But you dont have to leave.

I would like to see links to TU members web sites on the member's list page along with the PM and e-mail links. Alot of times, after I've read the posts or when it's slow on the weekends, I'll go down the list and visit other member's sites.

There are links to members sites on the memberlist, unless there's a misconfiguration I'm not aware of.

Check here for me:

Tackleunderground - Members List

Duly noted that the list isn't able to sort by users homepage but they are listed.

A better solution that is visible to all site visitors is the Tacklemaker's Directory.

inclusion is free for TU Club Members.

Granted, it isn't vastly populated yet, but it's only been online for a week. Over time it will supersede the memberlist, as it's much more functional. Ability to save your favorite sites, site rating, site statistics & site popularity are standard features.

The Forum Member list is only accessible to registered TU members, however, the Directory is accessible to all site visitors, no account needed. It was setup in this fashion as a vehicle to help drive visitors to your site. :yay:

Ok, I got you. I thought the TU Club member list was replacing the original list of members

Ahh, I see, yeah the earlier link farther up the thread was a the "Club Membership" list to answer a request to see who has joined.

You thought it was replacing the entire memberlist.

Sorry for the confusion :yay:

Finally back online with a fully cured and capable computer! Sorry I missed the polls etc, but as always I will support this great site however I can, like I hoped I was doing by ordering the TU t-shirts through Cafe Press.

The value of the friendships I've made through TU?

Priceless!!!

Dean

Thanks Nathan! I will always support Jerry's great site here, and I'm actually quite glad that he's figured a way for many of us to do this for 10 cents a day. To those of us who have been here awhile, it is obvious the commitment and work that Jerry puts into this place, and I am very glad he's figured out a way to not only maintain this multi-dimensional tackle and fishing site, but to grow it in a logical direction. I know about tough times, but I agree that if you can afford the internet, the sport of fishing, and tackle building for fun or profit, then 10 cents a day is a small price to pay for what is available here.

Yes Rookie, you can just call me old guy or old fart:lol: to say something like this :twocents:; but I'm not sure that I want to spend literally hours of my time helping someone learn the craft of hard-bait building, including of course all the money-saving that is part of avoiding some of the trial and error of our craft, who is too cheap to manage a dime a day for the site that enables our communication. :(

I also know people who think my lures are too expensive, and that is okay too. That just means I'm less behind building them for people who appreciate the time and effort it takes to build lures for particular old farts like me.

:?For goodness sakes, TU at a dime a day has to be a no-brainer for the guys that I want to hang around with and discuss this stuff, whether they're experienced, or just beginning.

Dean