redg8r

Pre Registration for TU Club Memberships

I would just like to say that change somtimes sucks, humans by nature don't like change. But if it means paying a few bucks a month to keep TU going then we need to do this. No one knows how this will turn out. I think that some will leave but most of us will stay.

As far as any body getting rich or being greedy on 4.99 a month that is pretty funny!!!. I know times are tight and getting tighter with gas and heating oil cost. I know if I could not afford 4.99 amonth I would think about canceling my internet and selling the computer.

I wish all involved in running this site the best of luck and thanks for all the hours spent keeping our ideas flying around cyberspace. Checks in the mail!

I have to agree with Scottish on this one. One day it is free the next you have to pay to get on. Sorry but some of us live paycheck to paycheck and even this little bit cant be taken on.

Your complaint would have more merit if you used the site as a hobby resource, but no, you bought yourself a domain name & webhosting and promote your lure business here in your signature.

I give you the same scenario, sell your baits for Zero, if you stand behind your word.

I understand that it costs money to keep the site up and running but isnt that why people like ghost baits and others are paying to advertise on here. To keep the site up and running.

I'm growing weary of explaining the so I'll do it once more. The advertisements on the site do not cover all the costs. we don't enjoy an advertiser base that many of the mainstream fishing sites do. 90% of the other luremaking foums on the web are tucked away inside a larger fishing community. You are welcomed to go there.

I understand, you see the oil companies doing it so your just following suit. Now I know why the Bible says "$ is the root of all evil " Cause its tearing down the TU Empire. I love the site but i cant afford to pay to come to a site that was once free. Its BS. Hope you enjoy your new found wealth. L8R

Thanks, I wont comment on your religious based attack, but TU will be just fine. I'll be sitting here in my 3 peice suit counting my newfound wealth.

You're a peice of work, after all I've paid & the countless hours, you think I'm trying to get rich.

All the funds earned here will go back into TU in some shape or fashion. I'm even allowing the subscribers to decide what & when to implement new features.

WOW! Kinda comes as a shock. People are still going to be able to troll the site but don't have to pay?

That remains to be seen, again, the users who actually consider TU as a valuable resource will ultimately decide.

I understand fees and time put into the site cost money but yikes, 7561 users times $4.99 a month!

Your math is misleading, I appreciate the few of you who took the time to do the accounting, but here's the real picture.
  • We have over 7000 registered members who have full & free access to the site.
  • Just over 1000 login every month
  • @ 200 actually post.
  • Only a percentage of that 200 mentor, the rest are asking for help.

Now you can do the math.

Nothing personal, cause you said nothing personal towards me, just correcting the math of those who are counting.

I just can't see the benefit of paying money to help people that can't use the search function.
I will take care of that, one of the first goals is to to put fundamental, easy to follow instruction on the front of the site (for free), so those that do come into the community come armed with at least the basics. We have already begun the process with a resource directory of supplies available here.

With rise in gas, groceries, transportation, taxes, business expenses, etc... we just can't afford it. Well, I wish you good luck and hope this is not the shot to the foot for TU.

I understand, almost everyone is feeling the crunch. TU's subscription fee is more than reasonable.

The worst thing we could do for TU is to let it wither. Alot of our founding members were members of another site that over time lost devotion from it's founder, run into financial trouble after failed attempts to support the popularity it received & simply shut down without notice.

It will not happen here.

Hey guys.

Why dont you all just get off Jerrys' ass.

Quit complaining already.

A poll was brought up and it was close so Jerry decided what was best.

$4.99 a month.If it is that important to you,you can skip 1 pack of smokes or use one less gallon of gasoline.

Look im not wiping my butt with $100.00 bills either but if money was so tight i couldnt afford $.17 a day i would be out looking for another job.

I signed up for a full year with no regrets.

~ahem~ $3.99 ;)

1 year - 10 cents a day.

Thank you Brian :worship: You will not be disappointed. Improving the site over & above the forums has always been at the forefront.

Years of researching new apps, & sitting there going "Wow, TU could really use that" then looking at the price & going, "damn, well, maybe someday".

Thanks again.

Hey guys.

Why dont you all just get off Jerrys' ass.

Quit complaining already.

A poll was brought up and it was close so Jerry decided what was best.

$4.99 a month.If it is that important to you,you can skip 1 pack of smokes or use one less gallon of gasoline.

Look im not wiping my butt with $100.00 bills either but if money was so tight i couldnt afford $.17 a day i would be out looking for another job.

I signed up for a full year with no regrets.

You know I wasn't going to post anything about this, since I am a total supporter of TU and I don't want to get in a p:censored:g contest with anyone. But I wholeheartedly agree with Yankee Jigger. It's plain and simple guys. This is the way it's going to be if you like it hop on board and if not look elsewhere. Nobody is forcing anyone to sign up and pay. This is a free country do what you want and what is best for you. Don't keep on ragging on Jerry about the S.O.S. I don't want to sound incensitive but this is what is is. Either help us out or move on. This is Jerry's site, his time, effort and money invested in it he can do what he wants with it. He made a decision whether you like it or not, so guys quit whining.............Sorry if this offends you.

Ditto Ted.

Jerry is much better at maintaining his grace and poise under attack than I am. The fact that he is taking a few minutes to address some of the individual comments and concerns and hasn’t just deleted them from TU says volumes to his credit. Me, well I biting my tongue to keep things civil and making good use of the delete key - I've been known to make a sailor turn red when I get wound up.

There are those of you who are like minded and realize that the economy isn’t as good as it was. In St. Louis, less than 20 miles from where I live, the king of beers is going to be foreign owned, Chrysler is closing one plant and the other is cutting back to one shift, Ford bailed out last year, American Airlines is dumping the bulk of their local presence, several thousand more jobs lost.

I have taken a brief look at all the boring sites of our internet experts who can and would do it for free – PLEASE, I’ve been to your sites and the reason for them is a cheap means of pimping baits.

I’d like to say Thanks Jerry, for keeping TU going all this time. Lesser men would have pulled the plug as soon as it started costing them from their own pocket. I have seen just a glimmer of the direction you want to take TU and I think it’ll be worth it.

Edited by redg8r

Ditto to all positive feed back. The way I see it is the ones that help foot the bill for TU, will be the people that have always helped others here and the ones we want here. While TU was down I searched all the other tackle building sites they were sad and some info was incorrect. That first misleading info, will buy your first year(if not more). So the people that cant help I wish you A lot of luck. Some we will miss. So if you can help, all of us will appreciate and we are

CALLING ON YOU!

Yankee & Cadman,

Thank you for voicing your support.The decision for Jerry too go ahead with this was not a easy one for him.He tried other avenues in the past too generate funds but they always fell short.I would be willing too bet most anyone else would have shut this site down long ago if they had too spend what Jerry has around here.

There are big things on the horizon for TU.I hope most will pay the fees and stick around and reap the benefits..For those of you who won't..Stop your whining..The decision has been made.Pay up or shut up and move on....Nathan

Actually Red if we were making money with selling our product we could prob afford to stay on here and pay but by the time we are done buying product and actually taking the time to make our product we dont make squat. It is just fun making the stuff for people to catch fish on something we made. Thats actually what we get out of it. So it is actually a hobby. Second I didnt buy a domain name heck i dont know much about computers or how to make a website. That would be my friend Jmik. Im not on here to make money but lures. And its great to see people catching fish on our stuff. I have a full time job taking care of handicapped kids in wheelchairs so i do this for fun. not to turn a proifit. If you cant understand us being upset about not being able to come on here anymore than so be it. And I do apologize about the "new found wealth" comment but hey i am human and i am angry it wont be like it used to be. Thanks for everything it was nice while it lasted. Dan

No apology necessary, I'm fully prepared for debate, which was expected, but I'm not an unreasonable or greedy person. I won't be giving up my day job any time soon.

If jmik footed the bill to reserve your domain name, provide you hosting space & designed your website, good on him. That's a friend indeed.

Jmik is like my third brother and a bro in Christ. He is the most honest person I know. I trust him with my kids. Getbitlures wouldnt exsist without him. Its ashame that it wont exsist after this weekend. Just not enough time in a day to keep doing it. Take care and God Bless.

I am a bit confused as well.

So by paying what will we benifit ?

By not paying what will we lose ?

And if you have 1000 veiwers a month and only 50% are for it then We will have 500 users wich probably only 25% actually pay ?

If there is 7000 registered why only a 2 day poll ?

Sounds a bit rushed to me so I am in air on what to do.

I never seen the poll myself.

Edited by Predator Bass Baits

How many people actually did the poll ? 50 ? I bet you will only have 50 people pay the $3.99

Sure will be hard to learn new stuff from many people, the site will get boring with 50 members.

But then if you do get 250 Members then $1000 a month to run it sounds like you did your home work.

I wonder if it was .99 a month you would have more members and come out more on top ?

Again I do not know what to think about this except for Failure.

I bet you will only have 50 people pay the $3.99

That would be a bad bet, sure you wanna bet? how much? :nuhuh:

Sure will be hard to learn new stuff from many people, the site will get boring with 50 members.

Some of the most helpful & contributing members are already on board.

I wonder if it was .99 a month you would have more members and come out more on top ?

.99 is the minimum a payment processor will allow, then tack on 4% cut + .30 cents per transaction.

Again, we're complaining about 13 cents a day, max. Unless you take me up on that bet.

then tack on 4% cut + .30 cents per transaction.

Again, we're complaining about 13 cents a day, max. Unless you take me up on that bet.

Paypal is 3% + .30 but you will be getting enough money to upgrade your paypal so then it will get knocked down to 2.3% or something like that.

So will advertising be free then as well ?

How many people actually did the poll ? 50 ? I bet you will only have 50 people pay the $3.99

But then if you do get 250 Members then $1000 a month to run it sounds like you did your home work.

Again I do not know what to think about this except for Failure.

How many of the 7000 members post?????

How many actually have over 100 posts????

How many give info and not just take?????

How many just come here to stir the pot?????

I only have a little over 100 posts myself,have contributed a little here and there,but the TIME I spend here,hours on some occasions is worth $3.99 a month.

For those of you pissing and moaning,i wonder who have their website address in their signature.

For those of you crying foul now,how much info or sales on your products did you get here all this time for free.

Now Jerry wants to charge such a small fee to offset his costs,improve the site,add more features so what thanks does he get???????

A whole lots o'Bu#$#$IT.

Heres a link for the babies........Sesame Workshop - Home Page

Paypal is 3% + .30 but you will be getting enough money to upgrade your paypal so then it will get knocked down to 2.3% or something like that.

My apologies, your percentages are more in line, regardless, that's giving @ 30% of your money to another entity.

So will advertising be free then as well ?

To an extent, yes. Not in the forums. For businesses like yourself, you get listed into the Tacklemaker's Directory, it will be made more prominent on the site. This also includes those of you who offer products & services exclusively to us luremakers, like Hawnjigs, Reeves, Dlaery, Del & others by listing for free in the Resource Directory. That leaves the forums free from solicitation so we can discuss techniques, like it was intended. It hasn't been a prevalent problem because we moderate effectively, but users are becoming better & better at circumventing the guidelines.

I was just speaking with the subscribers about this:

Our statistics are showing a trend, about 25% of the new visitors coming here, came looking to buy custom tackle, not make custom tackle & subsequently follow another link away from TU to one of our advertisers, or a members website of interest.

New visitors last month numbered around 32,000 uniques (& summer is our slow season). That's a considerable amount of possible sales for you guys.

How to capture & serve that market is being discussed right now. It's simple using the Tacklemaker's Directory, but you only get on if you have a website. what about the hobbyists wanting to test the market, or skilled craftsmen with no PC experience?

We have 3 different options laid out on the table & could possibly pursue all 3, now that we have some capitol coming in, all in thanks to those subscribers who want TU to become a more useful vehicle for their needs.

Our existing Banner Advertising will soon become discounted for subscribers & our existing advertisers will be pro-rated & given the same discount if they ever decide to subscribe.

Subscribers will soon enjoy the option to turn off 3rd party ads if they so choose, like (google & others) Some people enjoy using them. I've seen many cool links in the google ads, but I (myself) get penalized if I use them.

Our in-house ads will remain & optionally become more targeted, displayed only in areas where their offerings are the most effective, even by geographical location.

This is just a snippet of what's coming. We're not asking people to pay to keep things the same, were asking for help to improve.

EDIT: For the record, by no means did I mean to imply that the 4 members I mentioned above were improperly advertising here, I was just implying that we want to accommodate lure makers AND those who specialize in helping us with our luremaking needs.

Edited by redg8r

I am not trying to stir the pot.

Is it wrong to ask questions ? if it is then no need to Pay.

The link for Babies if it is pointing to me as one then thanks anyway but I see you have it book marked..

I do not know of one person here that actually bought anything from me from this site.

I never said I would not pay for it, I think with 7000 members and only a 2 day poll was a low blow, not that it matters anyway because Red can do what he wants with the site.

I was shocked even half of my questions got a answer. but then that was the want a bet ones.

And a fee is fine but $3.99 a month and $5.99 in a few weeks, That is not much but the thought of it sounds high.

Just asking questions, not complaining...

ok

So by paying what will we benifit ?

Keeping the site online & improving it to suit the needs of it's users.

By not paying what will we lose ?

At a minimum, PM, protected email, gallery & signature permissions.

If there is 7000 registered why only a 2 day poll ?

Sounds a bit rushed to me so I am in air on what to do.

I never seen the poll myself.

The poll was intended to get the input from the most active users, those who use it daily. You missed it because you were gone for 3 weeks.

We did a poll a couple of years back & the results were the same.

I didnt mass email anyone or send out another survey, because when we do, we get complaints from old members who haven't visited in years accusing us of spamming them (dont ask, I dont know how either)

Redgr, so will the entire site be blocked unless you pay ?

answered

So if you have 250 paid members, and then if your lucky enough to get people to buy from you, that would be slashed because the main people paying are making there own anyway. so how are your paying advertisers going to get people to see there adds. ?

I'm sorry, I didn't get a word of what you just said. care to elaborate?