bassn1

new paint help

I'm working with a new type of paint and I need a clearcoat that has NO UV screeners in it. The paint is UV reflective, fish can see it but we can't. The manufacture recomends 2 types of rattle can Krylon ( indoor ) but I don't see that holding up to well. Any sugestions? Does D2T have UV screeners in it?

Generally, any clear finish that says it won't yellow in the sun had UV screeners in it.

I've tried contacting Devcon in the past, and got no direct personal response, but Evirotex has tech support that will answer your email. Google Envirotex, and go on their website. The woman who answered my email (I'm sorry, I don't remember her name) was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. She is a chemist, I think, and really understands epoxy.

I've noticed that clear coats sometimes let UV through, and it yellows the coat beneath the clear. Not sure why. But it tells me that the UV is getting through the clear. Or the clear is yellowing and it just looks like it's the underlying coat.

Edited by mark poulson

The UV inhibitors in clears filter a whole different spectrum than what the UV pigment is projecting. Two different animals. You're fine with any clear. I've been formulating paints with UV markers for years and included UV inhibitors for various parts. Most are scanned by a computer that picks up the UV pigment to see if the part is coated correctly, and there's never been a problem using or not using UV inhibitors. I also use UV dye on some of my lures and the clear I formulated has Uv inhibitors. No problems.

Two left have UV pigment, right one doesn't

plugsuv.jpg

http://www.downrivertackle.com/lures/plugsuv.jpg

As they appear to us

http://www.downrivertackle.com/lures/plugsnouv.jpg

Edited by Downriver Tackle
image problems

Downriver,

What is the purpose of "UV dyes" in your lures, and what dyes do you use?

Is it something that's commercially available?

I keep some on hand because occasionally, someone asks for it and I put some prototype lures out there recently on charters to see if it does work. Allegedly, fish can see the UV spectrum very well. So, with the dye and available light from the surface, the lure is theoretically supposed to glow from the fish' perspective. Not my theory. Some clearcoat maker states those claims. Can't say I agree or disagree with it yet.

I don't remember what brand the clear was. I ordered a sample of the pigment from the manufacturer through my job. It's some ungodly price of a few hundred $$$ per pound. If I'm convinced it works, I'll probably buy a few pounds and sell packets of the pigment itself.

Maybe fish see a UV glow coming off baitfish, so they can feed better at night and in low light conditions.

That's the whole idea I'm working on. Here's a link to the site for the paint. Fish Vision, UV Lure Paint So far i've had a bit of trouble getting it to go thru an airbrush but it's do-able. I did see a demo of this paint and it's incredable. Under a UV light and camera, this stuff looks like someone lit a 50,000 watt light bulb.

Contact the manufacturer, I bet they could tell you quicker and with more certainty than anyone here, unless of course they already talked to the manufacturer.

I agree call the manufacture they should be able to tell you and by the way what is the new paint??