the-bass-catcher

Createx Paint Tips

I know that some of the members here use Createx airbrush paints. I also use them, and thought it would be nice to share tips here. My current avatar was airbrushed using various createx paints and glitter (picture there is a little fuzzy!). My first tip that I've found invaluable as far as saving money goes, is to spray a transparent paint over 3-d eyes to create different colors. Say I want a light blue eye, and don't want to pay big bucks or wait for shipping. All I do is take a few eyes, stick them to a popsicle stick, and begin spraying lightly with Pthalo Blue, for example, over regular silver 3-d eyes. You want to get just enough spray on the eyes so that there are no spotty places, but you don't won't a thick film, just as thin as you can get it. Spray some auto-clearcoat over them to get them glossy, or just clearcoat over them when you are clearcoating your lure. Try different combinations, the possibilities are endless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Any other tips?

I'm trying to add a photo for the first time - bare with me please! These are the blue eyes described above, on a custom prop lure I carved. I hope to have photos of my custom lures in the photo gallery soon as well. The photo was scanned, so it is a hair fuzzy, but I think you can see that the results are fairly nice.

custom_3.25in_prop.jpg

custom_3.25in_prop.jpg

custom_3.25in_prop.jpg

custom_3.25in_prop.jpg

custom_3.25in_prop.jpg

custom_3.25in_prop.jpg

custom_3.25in_prop.jpg

custom_3.25in_prop.jpg

305_thumb.attach

VMAXX, as a matter of fact, I have. I actually have started using them a lot recently... they give a nice look to any lure. In the photo above, I put some chameleon gold over the pearl white (both by Createx), and it gave the nicest baitfish shine I've been able to get. It really looks like a shad's coloring! They are super nice paints, they show up well on darker colors-black being the best, but use them over any color to give neat effects. Bass Pro uses them on their lures, they shoot it over clear plastic cranks to give almost a pearly soft-plastic look. I've found that it really only takes a light dusting to give a nice look, but if you are trying to template a design with it, it may take a large amount. I used them strictly for complementing a baitfish's hue(s).

B.C.

Im like you the cham. gold is an awesome color been doing the same thing with the dusting, got the gem turquoise and the gem jade but Im having better luck with those by spraying a little heavier plus they need to be sprayed on black,also got some of the candys and the med. alum paint shot some last night the alum looks pretty good I think almost as good as foiling a bait.

Vmaxx

haven't seen or heard about the alum or candy paints! Where are you getting them? from the net or a local art supply? I don't have a art shop that carries anything like that around here... just curious

ANOTHER TIP: I just sprayed a bait that required many flourescent (neon) colors. I've already noticed that they have a different consistency and they were shooting watery on my lure...try this....

(I am brushing with a pasche vl double action)

1.) put desired color in the metal cup, and get the color spraying out

2.) take the cup out of the intake

3.) again test spray, pulling it back to take in air - this puts more air in the mix and helps dry the paint before it hits the lure

Be Careful!!!!!!! this caused splatter for me when you initially push the thingy (don't know the name of it, but its the thing that controls the spraying, i feel stupid now!) down, so be sure to push down before you begin spraying on the lure...

Hope this helps!

T-B-C

ATT Custom Lures

The reason that it spits when you first hit the trigger is because the paint is starting to dry on or in the tip. When you take the cup out and shoot then the stuff is trying to dry once the majority of the paint is out of the gun. Since you are removing the cup there is nothing to keep the tip wet. I always try a quick shoot on something before I put the gun to the lure regardless of the type of paint I am using. I have had that happen to me quite a number of times. Really pisses ya off doesn't it.

Skeeter

Great tip BC, thanks for sharing that. I may have to give that a try soon.

I have been using the chameleon paints for about a month now. I am by far and away no expert, but so far I like them a lot. Make sure though that you dry them before coating!! Trust me on this, thats why I have a heat gun next to the spray booth.

Attached is a pic (not great, but it should give you an idea) of a musky bait I am working on using Createx Auto Air Chameleon paint.

Have a safe and happy New Years celebration all!

xllund,

I do the same only with a heat lamp createx says that heat is req. on the auto-air paints it causes the binder in the paint to adhere to whatever you've shot on but I've done without the heat also and it seemed fine as long as you gave it enough time for the moisture to evaporate from the paint.

Vmaxx

That is a very nice paint job xllund. What type of rig is the lure in? As for drying, I hang my lure under a desk lamp, which gives off a little heat, while I'm changing out colors with my brush. I believe this seems to keep the running under control. I've never put any heat on any of the auto colors...I never knew you are supposed to! I'm no expert, I just like sharing little pointers that may save others from the frustration of airbrushing lures...it's really frustrating stuff sometimes, but very rewarding when a vision becomes reality. I've had my share of trouble with createx scratching off to the white basecoat before I can get around to clearcoating the bait. Is there anything I can do to keep the paint from scratching off so easily? Even when I use netting, it sometimes scratches the paints under it. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the great responses!

B.C. (check your pm's)

To keep the paint on your either gonna have to let it dry until all the moisture is out or heat it somehow, the heat gun will work,If I get in a hurry(when I do I get some real crappy lookin bait) I can paint one start to finish all at once by heating each coat(base,color,back,belly,etc..) once I've heated it I've never scratched the paint off(barring just out right trying to scratch it) I also use a heat lamp but it is a little slower, when using the heat gun keep it moving don't hold in one spot and a little goes a long way,Don't toast it ! B)

Vmaxx