Jeep

Topcoating and rotating

Hi guys,

I've just made a simple lure rotator using a disco ball engine.

And it does the job pretty ok, but I've got some questions:

What I do now is hang the lure horizontally and brush a thick layer of etex on it, then let it rotate for a while and brush of the lumbs until it looks even everywhere. Then I'll just let it rotate for a night.

But.. as it turns out the next morning...

I do get some lumbs here and there..:pissed:

So I wonder how do you guys do this?

Do you also let it rotate vertically? Or...?

Thnx

sound's like your trying to put to much e-tex on at once 2 or 3 thin coats is better for the finish and your sanity,i turn my baits horizontally

I think BEZYB's right.

I turn my lures horizontally, and only get lumps when I put too much Etex on.

My wheel motor is 1 rpm, so it turns the lures very slowly. My wheel looks like a Ferris wheel, with two large plywood discs on a shaft, and the lures suspended horizontally between the discs. That way I can coat more than one lure at a time.

I stop the wheel after I've coated the last lure, and check them all for lumps and drips, and take them off with a semi-dry brush.

Lumps and drips can be filed or sanded off after the epoxy is cured, and will turn clear again when you put on a second coat.

Try brushing on just enough to cover the entire lure, and planning to put a second coat on after the first sets.

If you wait 24 hours, you can just wipe the lure down with denatured alcohol and recoat it without any scuffing or sanding for bonding. The woman I spoke to at Etex said it will bond to itself just fine, and, so far, it's worked for me.

Edited by mark poulson

Theoretically, as long as a lure is turned 360 degrees in either the horizontal or vertical plane (or any plane for that matter), the epoxy should stay where you brushed it because every point on the lure is being rotated through 360 degrees. The second factor is rotation speed. Thin coatings need to be rotated faster than thick ones. Etex is a medium thin coating, so 4-8 rpm is probably ideal for it. Like Mark says, several thin coats will work much better than one thick one because little goofs are less noticable and tend to get leveled over by successive coats. Just take your time and don't get impatient :) The extra effort and waiting is worth it to get a pristine clearcoat.

I might of misunderstood, I read it, that he was rotating the lures around

in a flat circle, sticking straight out. Not in a vertical circle. If it is a vertical

circle, it won't matter how the lures are attached.

I think of a disco ball hanging straight down.

Coley

I assumed he rotated the motor 90 degrees so the driveshaft was horizontal to make the baits rotate in the vertical plane like a ferris wheel. Whether the bait is attached to the ferris wheel in a horizontal or a vertical position makes no difference. But just slinging it around in a horizontal circle like a lariat is not gonna get it done!

sound's like your trying to put to much e-tex on at once 2 or 3 thin coats is better for the finish and your sanity,i turn my baits horizontally

Mark has it spot on. Thin is beautifull and patience is a virtue :)

Re coat before the first coat hardens.

:yay:

I have tried many different top coats and with each different brand/type thick coats will give you lumps and thin coats will not

A word of caution, yes the coat can be too thin and in that case you will get craters (or pockets) as the clear coat hardens it pulls on itself thus leaving voids.

Practice practice practice