summitlures

how to make a lipless swimbait?

He means he makes his lure, then float tests it and hangs weight on it until it sits in the water the way he wants, then he drills holes in the lure and adds the weight to the lure. There really is no way to get around either drilling holes in the lure or making the lure in halves to get the right amount of ballast in it. You don't have to cut a lure in half, however, to do it that way. Take two boards that are each roughly half the thickness of what you want the finished lure to be, stack them, then cut out your lure outline. Seperate the halves, put in weight and hook hangers or thru-wire, glue and clamp, then carve to final shape and seal the lure.

I think guys use screw eyes in basswood. I haven't made one with screw eyes, so I am not sure what the preferred methods are, but it seems alot of guys drill holes, fill with epoxy and shove the screw eye in instead of just screwing the eyes. Like I said, I don't use this method, so maybe someone who does could chime in, or you could use the search function and search for other methods.