carpholeo

More hinge nonsense

In order to keep my hinges as discreet as possible, I use a dremmel to create cavities for the eyelets. This might not be practical for a wood bait, but it works well with expanded pvc.

endV.jpg

sepV1.jpg

With the bait fully extended, the screw eyes are only partially visible

sideV.jpg

topV.jpg

7inMackerel.jpg

Like Mark Poulson said "I'm still learning" and the screw eye/hinge pin method leaves lots of room for tweaking and tuning.

The bead hinge/pin method Jamie posted about sounds very interesting, would love to see what that looks like.

Nice mackerel!

Thnx for the tips, I was just planning on making my hinges like you have done, but then in wood. Hope that works out as well as yours.

I absolutely like the colors that you have used!! Are that those auto-air colors with pearl shine?

And what is the bead hinge/pin method?

Jeep

Edited by Jeep

This is what I did on the last one that I made. I made a twisted screw from .32 SS soft wire. The loop was formed around a 1/16 drill bit, then I twisted it out to 1.5 inches. Stay with me. I them took another length of wire and formed the eye, for a second twist screw, around the drill bit. Then slide that wire into the eye of the first twist screw that I had made. Then I carefully twisted it out to about 1.5 inches. Now you have 2 innner locked twist screws. Make another and your ready to glue between 2 sections of your swim bait. It has worked great so far. I'm sure this is about as clear as swamp water. I will try to post a pic later.

Nice mackerel!

Thnx for the tips, I was just planning on making my hinges like you have done, but then in wood. Hope that works out as well as yours.

I absolutely like the colors that you have used!! Are that those auto-air colors with pearl shine?

And what is the bead hinge/pin method?

Jeep

The colors are edited on photoshop,then printed and glued on,then touched up with some pearl nail polish and a black sharpie.

check the post by Jamie for the hinge/pin method

@ carpholeo

Your mackerel is a pretty lot better than the one , that my wife fried yesterday , at least not as smelly :):lol: !

Great lure , indeed !

But like you , I doubt its functionality in wood , the ridge between pin and the end of the section is just too narrow for me to trust , it may tear out under tension , even in hardwood .

greetz , diemai