yankee jigger

Yes i searched,need crankbait help........

Did a search on crankbait hardware but didnt get the info i wanted.....

Are thru wire hardware really necessary?????

If you use screw eyes,how strong are they or do you use epoxy???

What im really trying to ask is what does it take to construct a wooden crankbait.

I have a guy that can cut the wood,i just need to put it together.

Alright i give up.....someone send me a link.:lolhuh:

yankee there is a lot of factors in making cranks. Type of wood balsa and a few other softwoods need through wire cedar poplar wood like that you can get away with screw eyes but I dont like to use them with cranks. The number one reason for me is you cant tune screw eyes like you can with wire and cranks do need to be tuned from time to time.

You do not need to do a thru wire construction on a balsa bait. I have built several thousand and have never had a wire or weight pull out yet. I believe its all personal preference. You will find all the help you need on this site one you decide wich way you want to go. There are plenty of builders on here that do or have done it both ways. Good Luck!MAV www.vanndalizer.com

The best solution for peace of mind, is to test your construction. Hang a bucket of water from your lure. Fill the bucket gradually with a measuring jug, until full. This will give about 20lbs of load. Leave it over night. One litre of water weighs 1Kg.

This load far exceeds what the lure will have to take, even during musky fishing. The only time the lure really gets loaded up, is when it is hung up and you have to break the hooks or the line.

If you do try this test, be sure to report back.

I think in musky fishing its a combo of several things. The fish puts a lot of torque and pressure to the body of the bait itself from the bite and fighting the fish. Had a old cobb jointed crank made from balsa and the bait blowed up. the destruction of this bait made me think a little harder on my own desighns. It may have had a crack in the finishI dont know thats to far back to remember all I can remember is the bait had chunks that followed the grain that blowed outand you could see the wire form in places.

I think in musky fishing its a combo of several things. The fish puts a lot of torque and pressure to the body of the bait itself from the bite and fighting the fish. Had a old cobb jointed crank made from balsa and the bait blowed up. the destruction of this bait made me think a little harder on my own desighns. It may have had a crack in the finishI dont know thats to far back to remember all I can remember is the bait had chunks that followed the grain that blowed outand you could see the wire form in places.
Maybe it was the wire form itself the caused the blowout I dont know