tylerd1994

salt for soft lures

It depends on what you'r trying to achieve by using salt. When pouring sticks, salt is used primarily to make the bait sink. Some people also think that salt tastes like blood and the fish will hold onto the bait longer. I don't know for sure about that. What I do know is, that if you mix salt in when you cook the bait, the bait will lay flat on the bottom. Without salt, the bait will stand straight up and be more visible. Some people mix salt in with almost everything. Some people don't use salt at all. Some roll their baits in salt for packaging purposes. Experiment and see what works for you. What kind of bottom does your local waters have? Will the bait get lost when it hits the bottom? Maybe you could find out what the locals are using and see what characteristics those baits have.

i use dels salt right now and grind it in a blender. i put a little salt in my baits but not to much. i still want the bait to float of the bottom. i have not used a store bought bait this season and been tearing up the bass. i think with the floating action and the softness or the texture of hand pours make the much better than salt filled store bought baits. just experiment. people that buy them want salt so i put some in.

Ground salt (uniodized) creates a milky appearence in a bait. Too little and the lures weighs the same; too much and the lure get too hard requiring added softener. The nice thing about floured salt and fine salt (the kind you buy from the market for 69 cents a lb.) is that the crystals stay suspended whereas regular table salt settles fast, even between pours unless stirred.

Fine salt (not floured) allows an almost translucent appearence and glitter show through. You can see the salt which looks like melting ice in the plastic.

I've also found that if you also use fine salt, regular salt stays suspended better and I like regular salt for the grainy feel (ie Senko) and the weight.

For drop shot worms, c-rig. t-rig baits and jig trailers, why would anyone want to weigh down their baits with salt? Ditto for frogs, flukes and jerk baits. A little salt is a good thing for the last three, but IMO counter the float action for the other lures.

IMO sticks always need salt - how much depends on how the stick is used.