.dsaavedra.

Dick Nite Lure Coat

is the finish really smooth? It looks to me like it's as simple as your final coat not being thick enough.

I first mist 2-3 very light coats. Then I spray 3-4 more coats a little heavier. When you're spraying it, you don't need to wait that long between coats. Don't go too heavy with the coats, or it'll run just like paint. But if you go too light, it won't level out and get super smooth. I haven't tried spraying the UV stuff yet, but I don't see any reason it should be any different.

That's weird. It looks hazy like the final coat was misted on. I'd like to know how to end up with that matte finish you got with the DNLC if it's as smooth as you're saying. Interesting. Have you sprayed the original clear yet? If so, same results?

Your D2T skills are just fine though.

No I have not tried the clear yet. I misted every coat thick. I have not tried to throwing it against a wall yet but you cant scratch the stuff. I think im going to stick with the D2T for a while until I get all the bugs worked out of the DN. Also cleaning your airbrush after spraying it is a booger. Im using my old capital 2006 gf to spray (Got me a new iwata hp-b, Very sweet gun) and after spraying I put some acetone in the cup and cover it. It usually works great but occasionaly it gets hung up in the nozzle. I usually dont paint alot of baits at once, just several at a time. I think if I was painting quantity this would be the way to go, you could coat them all real quick and not have to worry about the drying wheel. I think I will order some of the clear and see how it works.

Tyjack, I don't make musky lures but am using Dick Nite and find that it is tougher and slicker than epoxies I've used, so have to believe it would be good on a musky lure. The drawback is that I think you need to let each coating of DN cure for 24 hrs before recoating. How many coats on a musky bait? Got me! I never use more than 2 on a bass bait.

I caught a few 2 lb bluefish on a plug I used DNLC on. Only let it cure 3 days before fishing it, and there's only one scratch on it. I'd have to say that bluefish will test a finish at least as much as musky, and they barely touched the finish with a 3 day cure. Would think it'd have been much better after a two week cure, I'll let you guys know in a couple days when I get down the shore again.

I admit that I still need more experience with DN. I like it alot - the toughness and gloss are superior. But in my experience, it does produce more "goofs" and irregularities than epoxy and it requires more "technique" (both storage and application) to use successfully. It is much thinner than D2T and of course nothing levels as well as epoxy, so any little surface glitch on the lure is not going to be "paved over" as with epoxy. DN's solvent flashes out quickly (usually within a few minutes). But if there is any area on the lure where DN has pooled, you will have problems after it goes on the drying wheel. It quickly forms a skin over a pooled area and still-liquid DN runs back and forth underneath until it wrinkles the underlying acrylic latex paint. All problems with DN get worse if you are using some that has begun to thicken in the storage container. So you need to be careful about storage and application. I'll stop whining now.

p.s. - I'm still waiting on some Bloxygen to spray into my DN containers to stop any "cure in the bottle" problems. The supplier says the Bloxygen folks had trouble getting aerosol cans for the production so I was backordered for 2 months. Hopefully it will be shipped next week!

I caught a few 2 lb bluefish on a plug I used DNLC on. Only let it cure 3 days before fishing it, and there's only one scratch on it. I'd have to say that bluefish will test a finish at least as much as musky, and they barely touched the finish with a 3 day cure. Would think it'd have been much better after a two week cure, I'll let you guys know in a couple days when I get down the shore again.

hay im also from nj and live close to lbi.

i would love to see this stuff in person on a few of you baits.

im in the middle of looking for a new clear for my striper lures and hope that this is the stuff.

any chance we can meet up?????

i will drive out to you no problem..

thanks smitty.....